PDA

View Full Version : love my TA 2.0!! what's up w my Harmon kardon system?? not loud at all!

ddominator1
06-25-2015, 11:33 PM
Hey guys. Have 18 speaker hk upgrade on my ta. I personally don't think loud at all. Almost too much bass volume only goes 38 max. Seems like should go up to 50! Anyone else having this problem and what can be done. ??? Just expected system to be a little louder for a 18 speaker hp system. :(

darbgnik
06-26-2015, 12:20 AM
I think it depends on the source, some are much louder than others.......

Using the SD card, I don't listen much over mid 20s.

Vprbite
06-26-2015, 04:04 AM
Are you sure it's not a settings issue in the head unit? I am not a Gen V owner, but on high end or aftermarket head units, usually the volume input is adjustable. IE...you can set your bluetooth to input at a greater volume than a CD or vice versa. Could that be the issue here? If I am way off, sorry to waste your time. Just telling you what I know from years of aftermarket head units. Also, in my experience with stock units, CDs were always louder than the radio. And remember XM is not broadcast in stereo, so you may notice that. If using an IPOD, remember that quality of MP3s varies as does volume level and sometimes they are mixed terribly with way too much base (I believe this is done to sound better on most stock/crappy systems) and they just don't sound as good as a CD. I am a musician and have sensitive ears, so I may be more inclined to notice the diference than others. I basically only use an iPod in my Gen III, but I just don't expect it to deliver great sound.

I would say it is probably worth it to have someone who really knows their stuff, or a shop, tune it for/with you. That makes a huge difference. Setting which frequencies you want to come through more at the right levels really makes stuff sound better, especially if you mostly listen to one type of music. I listen to all kinds of stuff, so I have different preset equalizers for different types of music. Given the quality of HK stuff, I would think you should be able to set it up just how you like it. I can't imagine it not having as much ability to tune and adjust levels as even a 200 dollar Sony would allow. And be sure that certain speakers aren't just turned off. For instance, anytime I know my dad is gonna be driving my truck, I just turn the aftermarket subwoofers off at the head unit cause he doesn't like the bass and the stock bass in the Ram is plenty for him. So be sure that for whatever reason the mids aren't just set too low or off cause someone was dicking with it and didn't know what they were doing or just happened on accident. And you said too much bass. Is there an amplifier you can easily access (like aftermarket would be) so that you can turn the gain down? If that's too high it will mess everything up. Bass will be all distorted and "cover" everything like a blanket. If it's buried somewhere, chances are it's not adjustable. But if it's easy to see cause they are proud of it and sorta showing it off, maybe you can adjust that.

I hope this helps, and sorry to waste your time if you thought if this already. I dont own a gen V so I shouldn't chime in but I just have had a number of stereos over the years and know that when you first install one/disconnect the battery it sounds like crap till you adjust it, no matter how amazing the speakers are.

Dman
06-26-2015, 05:52 AM
Have you played with the audio setting to adjust bass and balance, etc?

Is it too low using the radio vs Bluetooth? If Bluetooth is too low check the device volume.

I have the upgrade HK system and its loud as hell, bass could loosen fillings and volume is plenty loud. I do have a GTS so I have more sound deadening than you, so that's a variable. Be nice if SRT or other TA owner chimed in for you.

1Koolasp 16ACR
06-26-2015, 06:13 AM
I Added The Speakers To Make My T/A 18 Speakers , Had The Dealer Do The Update , And Now I Have The Surround Sound As An Option, When Useing The Radio I gotta Crank It For It To Sound Ok, Much Better When I use The USB Port I Pod, Cranks Much Better, And Better Sound , My Wifes Jeep SRT8, Which Is A 14 With The 19 HK, Is Much Much Better. The Subs Behind The Seats Are Open Holes When I Installed Them You Can See The Rear , And The Street, So You Lose a lot There, It Just Sucks !!!!

Venomus
06-26-2015, 07:01 AM
You may want to visit the Hellcat.org website to see the problems they are having with their $2000.00 Harmon Karmon radios. Your problem sounds very similar to theirs.

ddominator1
06-26-2015, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys. Well I'll try USB. Radio and satillite just no loudness. I mean sound quality is there ,good bass but just no umph if know what I mean. Think Bluetooth Mayne a bit better but not much. Does everyone else have 38 as s max volume ?

ddominator1
06-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Yes played with all settings. I,actually have to turn down bass actually close to 0 and keep mid and treble close to max. Have surround sound option. Sort of faded a little more to front as rear it seems just subs.
Have you played with the audio setting to adjust bass and balance, etc?

Is it too low using the radio vs Bluetooth? If Bluetooth is too low check the device volume.

I have the upgrade HK system and its loud as hell, bass could loosen fillings and volume is plenty loud. I do have a GTS so I have more sound deadening than you, so that's a variable. Be nice if SRT or other TA owner chimed in for you.

ViperPete
06-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Many times either Bluetooth or with my iphone connected, the stereo will not register the right input.

What I mean by that is, if I play a song on lets say lvl 30, it might not be very loud. But I shut off the car, turn it on again, play the song again at lvl 30 and its REALLY loud.

Try playing music with an aux cord.

I wish these cars has CD players. I always considered a CD the benchmark when it came to tuning an audio system. No varying volumes between songs, no Bluetooth, or aux cord issues.

There are 2 small speakers in the hatch by the way.

canadian viper
06-26-2015, 08:42 AM
i thought all t'as come with 12 speaker system and not the 18

ViperSmith
06-26-2015, 08:52 AM
USB with your phone or SD Card is the way to go. Don't use bluetooth.

v10enomous
06-26-2015, 09:19 AM
I couldn't get much volume at all in my 14 SRT playing Spotify over Bluetooth. I figured it was a setting but haven't had time to mess with it. Spotify over Bluetooth works fine in my other Bluetooth capable vehicles.

ViperPete
06-26-2015, 09:46 AM
I haven't tried an SD card. I suppose I could give that a try.

ddominator1
06-26-2015, 10:31 AM
ill try USB when get home tonight.. don't have SD card. So when using USB don't feel have to max out at 38? crazy how that could be much louder than XM.
USB with your phone or SD Card is the way to go. Don't use bluetooth.

darbgnik
06-26-2015, 01:04 PM
ill try USB when get home tonight.. don't have SD card. So when using USB don't feel have to max out at 38? crazy how that could be much louder than XM.

In my car, I have a varied mix on SD card, and most modern music, I wouldn't try to put it up to 38, mid 20s and high 20s being quite loud. There are a few vintage songs on there though, where 38 isn't that loud. All depends on source material.

USB stick had similar results, but I like that the SD card tucks out of the way.

v10enomous
06-26-2015, 01:53 PM
I couldn't get much volume at all in my 14 SRT playing Spotify over Bluetooth. I figured it was a setting but haven't had time to mess with it. Spotify over Bluetooth works fine in my other Bluetooth capable vehicles.

Just tried it again and the volume is working just fine. I'm starting to think that the WAZE app on my phone was also running and creating the problem although I couldn't reproduce it. BTW... if you don't have Spotify you should try it. Far better than Pandora IMO.

ddominator1
06-26-2015, 02:41 PM
thanks man.. I really cant wait to get back to house to try USB.. If your saying 20's is kick ass loud ill be happy.. I thought maybe I was going deaf or something..
In my car, I have a varied mix on SD card, and most modern music, I wouldn't try to put it up to 38, mid 20s and high 20s being quite loud. There are a few vintage songs on there though, where 38 isn't that loud. All depends on source material.

USB stick had similar results, but I like that the SD card tucks out of the way.

ViperGeorge
06-26-2015, 03:25 PM
There is a speed sensitive volume setting in the Gen 5. Isn't there also a volume offset that allows you to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the volume control? Or did I make that up? I don't have my car here at work but I seem to remember seeing it.

ddominator1
06-26-2015, 04:06 PM
def have a speed sensitive control, as well as surround sound, and tone (bass, mid, treble) & fade control.. not sure about the volume offset though.. I cant wait to get out of office and home to try USB to see if makes a difference in loudness. Weird how a max is set at 38. .wonder who thought of that one.. with XM or radio a 15 is hardly nothing and have to put it at 35 or higher to get my head bobbing a little bit lol
There is a speed sensitive volume setting in the Gen 5. Isn't there also a volume offset that allows you to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the volume control? Or did I make that up? I don't have my car here at work but I seem to remember seeing it.

LmeaViper
06-26-2015, 06:22 PM
I have the 18 speaker upgrade and anything more that upper 20's is very loud. Maybe I am getting old?
Also my Bass is like 1 or 2 as it just pumps any higher and my mirror shakes.
I use the Sd card and it is much more clear than satellite raid...as expected

hmerrittiii
06-26-2015, 06:34 PM
I have same thoughts 38 not loud

Viktimize
06-27-2015, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys. Well I'll try USB. Radio and satillite just no loudness. I mean sound quality is there ,good bass but just no umph if know what I mean. Think Bluetooth Mayne a bit better but not much. Does everyone else have 38 as s max volume ?

I haven't even tried going to max volume. Because 20 is pretty damn loud. I wouldn't want it louder than that unless I was driving fast with the windows down and needed to drown out wind noise.

I have my speakers all flat lined in the settings, with the bass turned all the way up. Sounds amazing for a stock system.

DFox
06-27-2015, 11:05 AM
No reason to use the stereo, put the windows down and listen to the engine/exhaust!!

lmcgrew79
06-27-2015, 12:00 PM
TA here as well, its just simply not that loud at crusing speed. Memory Card for me is the loudest. You could even increase the gain on the mp3's you put on the memory card.

Track Pack
06-27-2015, 01:01 PM
In mine, the FM really rocks and the xm sounds a little muted, but still TONS better than on my previous base, 2013 SRT.

lochnessmonster
06-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Make sure your system has the latest software upgrade. Mine hadn't been done be the previous owner. I'm not sure this is the problem, but worth doing regardless.

nastygts
06-27-2015, 02:15 PM
I had the amp replaced a few weeks ago. Complete audio system sucked at anything over 15. All is great now.

ddominator1
06-28-2015, 01:55 PM
idk guys.. still not toimpressed w loudness on bluetooth.. whats weird is when i plug in USB on my samsung no music into car but plays on phone.. is there something im doing wrong w that? gonna go pick up an SD card today to see if difference.. def seems louder when car not running but engine seems to baffle sound alot when driving esp in higher RPM.. will keep informed..

Viktimize
06-28-2015, 09:18 PM
idk guys.. still not toimpressed w loudness on bluetooth.. whats weird is when i plug in USB on my samsung no music into car but plays on phone.. is there something im doing wrong w that? gonna go pick up an SD card today to see if difference.. def seems louder when car not running but engine seems to baffle sound alot when driving esp in higher RPM.. will keep informed..

Sounds like you have a bunk USB cord. Try another one.

Malu59RT
06-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Is the factory 12 speaker on the TA's not Harmon Kardon as well? Did you install an 18 speaker upgrade afterwards? I've been in a TA with the 12 speaker, and the difference between that and my 18 speaker upgrade makes me think you have the 12 speaker. 17 is typically what I drive around at, 20 if the windows are down.

ddominator1
06-29-2015, 12:43 PM
18 speaker from factory.. 2300 upgrade.. going to pick up SD card today.. not sure why USB isn't working when plugged into phone (Samsung 4). don't get me wrong.. sound is clear and great.. just seems like max should be around 50 not 38.. decent loudness when car is not fired up but baffles a lot with engine rumbling..
Is the factory 12 speaker on the TA's not Harmon Kardon as well? Did you install an 18 speaker upgrade afterwards? I've been in a TA with the 12 speaker, and the difference between that and my 18 speaker upgrade makes me think you have the 12 speaker. 17 is typically what I drive around at, 20 if the windows are down.

lmcgrew79
06-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Im ok with it, at the end of the day it is a TA.

gpearl
06-29-2015, 01:31 PM
18 speaker from factory.. 2300 upgrade.. going to pick up SD card today.. not sure why USB isn't working when plugged into phone (Samsung 4). don't get me wrong.. sound is clear and great.. just seems like max should be around 50 not 38.. decent loudness when car is not fired up but baffles a lot with engine rumbling..

You could do a lot aftermarket for that $2300. I've never heard a factory stereo that I think is worth the upgrade.

ddominator1
06-29-2015, 05:52 PM
Yeah that's what i,was thinking. OK. I'm gonna blow my,ears out with,a kick ass HK 18 upgrade and just a wee bit disappointed with loudness, not necessarily clarity or bass. Just freaking loudness. So why not have a kick ass TA with a mega blaster system ? Lol
You could do a lot aftermarket for that $2300. I've never heard a factory stereo that I think is worth the upgrade.

Viktimize
06-29-2015, 08:18 PM
Yeah that's what i,was thinking. OK. I'm gonna blow my,ears out with,a kick ass HK 18 upgrade and just a wee bit disappointed with loudness, not necessarily clarity or bass. Just freaking loudness. So why not have a kick ass TA with a mega blaster system ? Lol

So obviously you have an issue with your stereo. At 20 volume you should be considering it loud if you don't have some kind of hearing impediment. Have you brought it into the dealer yet to have things checked out?

ddominator1
06-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Maybe I do have some kind of hearing impediment lol. Last time I checked it was called a hearing impairment. No my ears seem fine. Sometimes I get wax impactions that may result in some sort of hearing IMPEDIMENT. Lol but otherwise I have no medical conditions with my ears and am quite healthy , robust 44 yo that just wants my HK system louder ...if 20 is loud to u well them your ears must be clear as day and that of a cheetah running in the wild. Must be that I love my music extremely loud and prob from all those heavy metal concerts I attended in big 80s. I'll figure it out ....
So obviously you have an issue with your stereo. At 20 volume you should be considering it loud if you don't have some kind of hearing impediment. Have you brought it into the dealer yet to have things checked out?

outnumbered
06-30-2015, 05:52 AM
I feel the same way....just doesn't seem to be loud enough. Mine is much louder streaming Bluetooth than it is with Sirius/XM. I tend to listen to the Octane channel (fitting Viper music). They claim to have the loudest channel on Sirius; although I don't know if that is a legitimate output claim, or simply a marketing tactic.

ViperGeorge
07-05-2015, 05:59 PM
I have a 14 GTS with the 18 speaker system. My iPhone on Blue Tooth will blow the windows out at 38. I also have a 15 TA 2.0 with the 18 speaker upgrade. At 38 the same iPhone is not loud at all. There is an Aux Volume offset in the setup menu but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Viktimize
07-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Maybe I do have some kind of hearing impediment lol. Last time I checked it was called a hearing impairment. No my ears seem fine. Sometimes I get wax impactions that may result in some sort of hearing IMPEDIMENT. Lol but otherwise I have no medical conditions with my ears and am quite healthy , robust 44 yo that just wants my HK system louder ...if 20 is loud to u well them your ears must be clear as day and that of a cheetah running in the wild. Must be that I love my music extremely loud and prob from all those heavy metal concerts I attended in big 80s. I'll figure it out ....

im·ped·i·ment
imˈpedəmənt/Submit
noun
a hindrance or obstruction in doing something.
"a serious impediment to scientific progress"
synonyms: hindrance, obstruction, obstacle, barrier, bar, block, handicap, check, curb, restriction, limitation; More

More likely is what I suggested to begin with. Yes my ears are clean, but I am a guy that listens to loud music as well. I used to have a car that I removed the back seats out of, and put 2 15" subwoofers in their place. Also had another car with an 8000$ Focal sound system in it. Another car I used to run at DB drags. My Viper with HK is fairly loud at 20 volume, that's what I drive and listen to it at. And it seems quite a few others agree. So if yours is not getting good volume at 20 like most others are, or at any other volume setting for that matter, then it couldn't hurt to bring it in and see if there is a software update you're missing, or perhaps an issue with your amplifier.

Easier thing to try first would be ensuring the volume on your actual music device isn't turned right down. But if you're having volume issues with Sirius as well, that probably isn't your issue.

ViperGeorge
07-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Found out that the Aux Volume offset only works on hard wired connections not Bluetooth. According to SRT the upgraded 12 speaker system should be identical to the 18 system from the factory. I will do further testing but my upgraded 15 TA is not nearly as loud as my 14 GTS on Bluetooth. Also had the dealer check that my system shows as upgraded in the Chrysler computers. The amp should be listed as RCAA and not RC5. Mine is correct. I adjusted my fade in the 15 TA to full rear and get no sound. I will have to try that in my 14 GTS. I also don't see the "HD" setting on my 15. Something ain't right.

ViperGeorge
07-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Did some more testing tonight on my 14 GTS with the factory 18 speaker system and my 15 TA 2.0 with the 12 to 18 speaker upgrade. Turned off all apps on my iPhone except music. Checked all amp connections and they seemed tight but.... Anyway both systems behaved exactly the same way. Both were loud, both worked the same when I faded full rear. Don't know why the TA works now on Bluetooth but it does.