Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

love my TA 2.0!! what's up w my Harmon kardon system?? not loud at all!

Hey guys. Have 18 speaker hk upgrade on my ta. I personally don't think loud at all. Almost too much bass volume only goes 38 max. Seems like should go up to 50! Anyone else having this problem and what can be done. ??? Just expected system to be a little louder for a 18 speaker hp system.

Enthusiast
    I think it depends on the source, some are much louder than others.......

Using the SD card, I don't listen much over mid 20s.

Enthusiast
    Are you sure it's not a settings issue in the head unit? I am not a Gen V owner, but on high end or aftermarket head units, usually the volume input is adjustable. IE...you can set your bluetooth to input at a greater volume than a CD or vice versa. Could that be the issue here? If I am way off, sorry to waste your time. Just telling you what I know from years of aftermarket head units. Also, in my experience with stock units, CDs were always louder than the radio. And remember XM is not broadcast in stereo, so you may notice that. If using an IPOD, remember that quality of MP3s varies as does volume level and sometimes they are mixed terribly with way too much base (I believe this is done to sound better on most stock/crappy systems) and they just don't sound as good as a CD. I am a musician and have sensitive ears, so I may be more inclined to notice the diference than others. I basically only use an iPod in my Gen III, but I just don't expect it to deliver great sound.

I would say it is probably worth it to have someone who really knows their stuff, or a shop, tune it for/with you. That makes a huge difference. Setting which frequencies you want to come through more at the right levels really makes stuff sound better, especially if you mostly listen to one type of music. I listen to all kinds of stuff, so I have different preset equalizers for different types of music. Given the quality of HK stuff, I would think you should be able to set it up just how you like it. I can't imagine it not having as much ability to tune and adjust levels as even a 200 dollar Sony would allow. And be sure that certain speakers aren't just turned off. For instance, anytime I know my dad is gonna be driving my truck, I just turn the aftermarket subwoofers off at the head unit cause he doesn't like the bass and the stock bass in the Ram is plenty for him. So be sure that for whatever reason the mids aren't just set too low or off cause someone was dicking with it and didn't know what they were doing or just happened on accident. And you said too much bass. Is there an amplifier you can easily access (like aftermarket would be) so that you can turn the gain down? If that's too high it will mess everything up. Bass will be all distorted and "cover" everything like a blanket. If it's buried somewhere, chances are it's not adjustable. But if it's easy to see cause they are proud of it and sorta showing it off, maybe you can adjust that.

I hope this helps, and sorry to waste your time if you thought if this already. I dont own a gen V so I shouldn't chime in but I just have had a number of stereos over the years and know that when you first install one/disconnect the battery it sounds like crap till you adjust it, no matter how amazing the speakers are.
    Last edited by Vprbite; 06-26-2015 at 04:13 AM.

Have you played with the audio setting to adjust bass and balance, etc?

Is it too low using the radio vs Bluetooth? If Bluetooth is too low check the device volume.

I have the upgrade HK system and its loud as hell, bass could loosen fillings and volume is plenty loud. I do have a GTS so I have more sound deadening than you, so that's a variable. Be nice if SRT or other TA owner chimed in for you.

I Added The Speakers To Make My T/A 18 Speakers , Had The Dealer Do The Update , And Now I Have The Surround Sound As An Option, When Useing The Radio I gotta Crank It For It To Sound Ok, Much Better When I use The USB Port I Pod, Cranks Much Better, And Better Sound , My Wifes Jeep SRT8, Which Is A 14 With The 19 HK, Is Much Much Better. The Subs Behind The Seats Are Open Holes When I Installed Them You Can See The Rear , And The Street, So You Lose a lot There, It Just Sucks !!!!

You may want to visit the Hellcat.org website to see the problems they are having with their $2000.00 Harmon Karmon radios. Your problem sounds very similar to theirs.

Enthusiast
    Thanks guys. Well I'll try USB. Radio and satillite just no loudness. I mean sound quality is there ,good bass but just no umph if know what I mean. Think Bluetooth Mayne a bit better but not much. Does everyone else have 38 as s max volume ?

Enthusiast
    Yes played with all settings. I,actually have to turn down bass actually close to 0 and keep mid and treble close to max. Have surround sound option. Sort of faded a little more to front as rear it seems just subs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Have you played with the audio setting to adjust bass and balance, etc?

Is it too low using the radio vs Bluetooth? If Bluetooth is too low check the device volume.

I have the upgrade HK system and its loud as hell, bass could loosen fillings and volume is plenty loud. I do have a GTS so I have more sound deadening than you, so that's a variable. Be nice if SRT or other TA owner chimed in for you.

Enthusiast
    Many times either Bluetooth or with my iphone connected, the stereo will not register the right input.

What I mean by that is, if I play a song on lets say lvl 30, it might not be very loud. But I shut off the car, turn it on again, play the song again at lvl 30 and its REALLY loud.

Try playing music with an aux cord.

I wish these cars has CD players. I always considered a CD the benchmark when it came to tuning an audio system. No varying volumes between songs, no Bluetooth, or aux cord issues.

There are 2 small speakers in the hatch by the way.
    Last edited by ViperPete; 06-26-2015 at 08:32 AM.

i thought all t'as come with 12 speaker system and not the 18

Enthusiast
    USB with your phone or SD Card is the way to go. Don't use bluetooth.

I couldn't get much volume at all in my 14 SRT playing Spotify over Bluetooth. I figured it was a setting but haven't had time to mess with it. Spotify over Bluetooth works fine in my other Bluetooth capable vehicles.

Enthusiast
    I haven't tried an SD card. I suppose I could give that a try.

Enthusiast
    ill try USB when get home tonight.. don't have SD card. So when using USB don't feel have to max out at 38? crazy how that could be much louder than XM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSmith View Post
    USB with your phone or SD Card is the way to go. Don't use bluetooth.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ddominator1 View Post
    ill try USB when get home tonight.. don't have SD card. So when using USB don't feel have to max out at 38? crazy how that could be much louder than XM.
    In my car, I have a varied mix on SD card, and most modern music, I wouldn't try to put it up to 38, mid 20s and high 20s being quite loud. There are a few vintage songs on there though, where 38 isn't that loud. All depends on source material.

USB stick had similar results, but I like that the SD card tucks out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by v10enomous View Post
    I couldn't get much volume at all in my 14 SRT playing Spotify over Bluetooth. I figured it was a setting but haven't had time to mess with it. Spotify over Bluetooth works fine in my other Bluetooth capable vehicles.
    Just tried it again and the volume is working just fine. I'm starting to think that the WAZE app on my phone was also running and creating the problem although I couldn't reproduce it. BTW... if you don't have Spotify you should try it. Far better than Pandora IMO.

Enthusiast
    thanks man.. I really cant wait to get back to house to try USB.. If your saying 20's is kick ass loud ill be happy.. I thought maybe I was going deaf or something..
    Quote Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
    In my car, I have a varied mix on SD card, and most modern music, I wouldn't try to put it up to 38, mid 20s and high 20s being quite loud. There are a few vintage songs on there though, where 38 isn't that loud. All depends on source material.

USB stick had similar results, but I like that the SD card tucks out of the way.

Enthusiast
    There is a speed sensitive volume setting in the Gen 5. Isn't there also a volume offset that allows you to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the volume control? Or did I make that up? I don't have my car here at work but I seem to remember seeing it.

Enthusiast
    def have a speed sensitive control, as well as surround sound, and tone (bass, mid, treble) & fade control.. not sure about the volume offset though.. I cant wait to get out of office and home to try USB to see if makes a difference in loudness. Weird how a max is set at 38. .wonder who thought of that one.. with XM or radio a 15 is hardly nothing and have to put it at 35 or higher to get my head bobbing a little bit lol
    Quote Originally Posted by 09viperacr View Post
    There is a speed sensitive volume setting in the Gen 5. Isn't there also a volume offset that allows you to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the volume control? Or did I make that up? I don't have my car here at work but I seem to remember seeing it.

Enthusiast
    I have the 18 speaker upgrade and anything more that upper 20's is very loud. Maybe I am getting old?
    Also my Bass is like 1 or 2 as it just pumps any higher and my mirror shakes.
    I use the Sd card and it is much more clear than satellite raid...as expected

I have same thoughts 38 not loud

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ddominator1 View Post
    Thanks guys. Well I'll try USB. Radio and satillite just no loudness. I mean sound quality is there ,good bass but just no umph if know what I mean. Think Bluetooth Mayne a bit better but not much. Does everyone else have 38 as s max volume ?
    I haven't even tried going to max volume. Because 20 is pretty damn loud. I wouldn't want it louder than that unless I was driving fast with the windows down and needed to drown out wind noise.

I have my speakers all flat lined in the settings, with the bass turned all the way up. Sounds amazing for a stock system.

No reason to use the stereo, put the windows down and listen to the engine/exhaust!!

Enthusiast
    TA here as well, its just simply not that loud at crusing speed. Memory Card for me is the loudest. You could even increase the gain on the mp3's you put on the memory card.

In mine, the FM really rocks and the xm sounds a little muted, but still TONS better than on my previous base, 2013 SRT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast