PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get a Viper: Gen 2 + DD or only Gen 5

viper_eddie
12-04-2014, 05:56 PM
Hello all!

First off, a bit about myself. I've owned an air-cooled 911 for the past 2.5 years and decided it's time to get something different especially since the rising prices of air-cooled Porsches allowed me to break even on my car. I was looking to get a Viper and rented a Gen 2 for a weekend and loved it. I'm taking my sweet time in finding one and while looking around of course I started wandering and looking at Gen 3s, 4s and now even 5s.

I daily drive a Wrangler and a friend of mine told me a friend of his traded in his Wrangler for a new Porsche 991 at no loss. I figured if a Porsche dealer can do that then my Dodge dealer can definitely do that especially considering that they have 5 Vipers sitting on their lot. They've been sitting there since at least May when I got my Wrangler and 2 of them are 2013 models. They are offering one for 78k and one for 85k. The one for 78k really has my eye and I'm waiting for them to come back with some numbers but the sales rep wasn't in today so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

So my question to you guys is:

Would you rather have a DD and a Gen 2 or only a Gen 5? I really like the simplicity and rawness of the Gen 2 but is it worth getting a Gen 5 if I can get a great deal on it? I like simple and more old-school feeling cars but I figure some of you more experienced with different generation Vipers here can give me some advice!

Thanks and looking forward to officially joining!
Eddie

v10enomous
12-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Does it snow where you live ?

viper_eddie
12-04-2014, 06:52 PM
I live in Los Angeles so weather is not really a concern :)

Vprbite
12-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Gen V is a hell of a car. If I could responsibly afford one right now I would. I would say (from what I have seen, as a Gen II owner and currently a Gen 3 owner) that the 5 is a much better car for DD purposes. I don't think there is any question about that. The Gen II is a classic and forever beautiful, but daily driving one takes an interesting commitment. Though si does DD a wrangler.

I loved my Gen II and still miss it but the refinement even to a Gen III is noticeable. The V gives you a comfortable car that is better to be stuck in LA traffic in than a 2. But it is still plenty raw compared to its competitors. From a collectible standpoint, I would say the Gen II but opinions vary on that. If you can get a good deal on a 5, I say take it.

DaveW
12-04-2014, 07:16 PM
For a lot less $ than a Gen 5, a Gen 2 will give you an amazing raw driving experience that I have loved for the past 10 years. Keep good, recent Michelins and replace the sloppy shifter with an IPSCO are the basics, with other upgrades exhaust-wise and other simple upgrades and you will love the Gen 2 IMHO.

viper_eddie
12-04-2014, 07:17 PM
If I get a Gen 2 I will be keeping my Wrangler. I really wasn't planning on this until my friend told me about his buddy trading it in. I'm really waiting to see what numbers the dealer throws back at me because I told him I don't want to lose money in the hopes of getting the best deal out of them that I can. After all, they have 2 2013 Vipers on their lot, they should be motivated.

I guess I will wait and see and maybe test drive one. The Gen 2 I like the most now is an ACR from a local guy, 1999 model for 45k. If it was 40 I would jump on it but I'm just looking to get a good deal and he's not budging on 45. I'm also having some doubts about getting a non-ABS car...

VoodooRob
12-04-2014, 07:45 PM
A lot of Gen Vs out there get driven and have miles on them, there's a reason Gen 2s are mostly low mileage and I couldn't imagine daily driving my Gen 2.

viper_eddie
12-04-2014, 07:54 PM
For a lot less $ than a Gen 5, a Gen 2 will give you an amazing raw driving experience that I have loved for the past 10 years. Keep good, recent Michelins and replace the sloppy shifter with an IPSCO are the basics, with other upgrades exhaust-wise and other simple upgrades and you will love the Gen 2 IMHO.

That is basically how I feel and I do love the simplicity and classic feel of the Gen 2. I guess I will have to drive both and see what I think after.

A lot of Gen Vs out there get driven and have miles on them, there's a reason Gen 2s are mostly low mileage and I couldn't imagine daily driving my Gen 2.

If I would get a Gen 2 it would be a Friday through Sunday car (with occasional Thursday use); if I were to get the Gen 5 it would be my daily driver. My work is about 7-8 miles each way but I do have to drive about 15 extra miles every 2 days for work related stuff.

01sapphirebob
12-04-2014, 08:23 PM
I guess it all depends on what car you like the most. For me personally I LOVE the looks of my GEN II and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's such a raw car and as the old saying goes..."they don't make them like they use to."

You mentioned that you might not want a NON ABS car. That was a big factor when I bought my GEN II. So if anything that narrows your search. You know it has to be a '01 or '02 model year.

To me it sounds like your mind is made up and you want the GEN II. I say get a GEN II and keep a DD.

01sapphirebob
12-04-2014, 08:25 PM
A little fuel for the fire. :D

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t558/weilandfrk/CIMG0613_zpse442256a.jpg (http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/weilandfrk/media/CIMG0613_zpse442256a.jpg.html)

XSnake
12-04-2014, 08:26 PM
I'd get a Gen 2 and keep your wrangler as a DD. Wouldn't DD a Viper of any Gen.

viper_eddie
12-04-2014, 08:29 PM
I guess it all depends on what car you like the most. For me personally I LOVE the looks of my GEN II and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's such a raw car and as the old saying goes..."they don't make them like they use to."

You mentioned that you might not want a NON ABS car. That was a big factor when I bought my GEN II. So if anything that narrows your search. You know it has to be a '01 or '02 model year.

To me it sounds like your mind is made up and you want the GEN II. I say get a GEN II and keep a DD.

You are basically right. I really like the local 99 ACR but I have some doubts about the non-ABS. I'm not worried about myself as much as I am about people doing stupid things in traffic and me having to brake suddenly and ending up with some bad results. It's just kind of annoying because w/ California SMOG laws it's going to be hard to find an 01-02 ACR that has a stock or CARB legal exhaust...it just adds to the wait and I'm getting impatient lol

I will use this as a good excuse to test drive both, though :)

Vprbite
12-04-2014, 08:57 PM
Some people more knowledgable than I can offer more insight but I wouldn't let ABS be a deal breaker. In fair weather, I would think the biggest issue is flat spotting the tires. I think most people would tell you it's the right pedal that gets you in trouble, not the middle of left one. I have driven my current Viper through LA though and you are right about the crazies on the road. It's almost like you have to be crazy too as the best way to avoid a wreck. Drive the speed limit and you are toast.

I am end my previous answer, however. After reading your post again and your subsequent posts it sounds like you will be happier with your wrangler and a Gen II. As I said, I still miss mine. It is a timeless classic.

01sapphirebob
12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
I will use this as a good excuse to test drive both, though :)

Having driven both cars they are VASTLY different. BOTH are great cars in their own right but from what you describe you will love the GEN II. I have a GEN II and a IV. The most common question I get all the time is "which one is you favorite?" I always say my GEN II. There is just something about that car that is unreplaceable and undeniable.

viper_eddie
12-04-2014, 09:20 PM
Honestly I never really worried about the non-ABS thing until I started seriously considering a Viper and I started paying more attention to my driving. Randomly I then had 2 situations in which others were basically fully braking in the middle of the street because they either didn't read the road signs or realized they missed a turn. Really stupid stuff and not my fault but in a situation like that I just can't help but think that maybe I wouldn't have enough time to think clearly and "threshold" brake.

But then again, the 99 ACR has that 708 cam...

XSnake
12-04-2014, 09:22 PM
That 99 should also have the Koni coilovers vs. the Dyanmic's. Dynamics are a known issue and always leak.

Sybil TF
12-04-2014, 09:26 PM
I'd get a Gen 2 and keep your wrangler as a DD. Wouldn't DD a Viper of any Gen. That's what I would do. Drive your Viper when your in the mood a couple times a weeks and not have to spend big bucks for tires constantly, unless you have a short daily drive.

AZTVR
12-04-2014, 09:45 PM
When you say you would use the Gen V as a daily driver, does that mean you would drive it to Home Depot, Costco, Ralph's, let it sit outside at the Cineplex, etc? Or are you more upscale than that, or have the significant other's vehicle for that? Even though I just had a Gen 2, I did feel nervous about leaving it alone out in public, especially around clueless people, parking their SUVs or pickups while talking to mommy ( I mean wifey ) on the cellphone. I never used it as a DD even though less expensive than many people's DD. If DD means mainly just to work and back, the Viper is just fine; but, then again it does transform it from "special" to an every day car after a while.

Leslie
12-05-2014, 05:55 AM
Get the Gen I I, 2001-2002 with ABS, good tires...and keep the Wrangler for rainy days.

You said you love simplicity and rawness, that will give it to you.

GBS
12-05-2014, 06:07 AM
I think the Gen II and Gen V are both great cars. In all practicality you need a 2nd car with room to carry stuff in even if you intend to drive the Viper a lot. If you can't swing having a 2nd car and a Gen V I would definitely go with the Gen II.

VRYALT3R3D
12-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Since you live in LA, get the GEN V.

Fatboy 18
12-05-2014, 09:33 AM
If your going to start looking at Gen IIs there are lots and lots of upgraded cars out there :)

Here's my thoughts,
My car is a 2000 Non ABS car, it comes stock with Brembo 4 piston calipers on the front and a single piston caliper on the rear, nothing wrong with this however if you ever plan on doing a lot of track days you might want to think of looking for a car which has had Brake upgrades.

Now the Stock braking is balanced out at about 70% Front and 30% rear, I found even at slow speeds (under 30 mph) on a damp road the front brakes would lock up too soon if you hit them quick. I did the Toms 40mm rear brake caliper upgrade, basically the piston in the rear caliper is sleeved taking it from 36mm to 40mm, does not sound much but this balances the car out to 60% front braking, 40% rear braking, much, much better and also saves on unsprung weight the bigger brake systems add. This mod is not something you can do yourself as the caliper body requires machining work. So I would look for a car with brake upgrades, Good tires (not old Pilot Sport 1s) Smooth air intake tubes and clean fluids. Belanger headers? Corsa rear exhaust? Nice raspy sound, Later gen IIs also have an internal glass hatch release lever by the drivers seat floor (on the gts) Colour? Stripes? Early Gen IIs had 17" wheels, Later Gen IIs had 18" wheels, Some people who have done Stoptech Big Brake upgrades have gone for 18" front wheels and 19" on the rear, the 19" wheels fill out the rear arches a bit more. Supercharger? TT? :D

Just some things to think about, have fun searching :)

viper_eddie
12-05-2014, 09:40 AM
That 99 should also have the Koni coilovers vs. the Dyanmic's. Dynamics are a known issue and always leak.

I was not aware of that; I knew that the ACRs had leaking issues but I thought all had Dynamics. I guess that's a plus.

Thanks to everyone else who answered. My heart really is leaning towards a Gen II. I know that if I had a Gen V and someone pulled up next to me in a Gen 2 I would be a bit envious; whereas, if the opposite happened I wouldn't really care.

My girlfriend has a Miata so I really would not have any vehicle for those rare (but still needed) trips when you have to carry oversized goods. Will be on the lookout and will post pics once I get something. Will also most likely drive that Gen V from the dealer just because :)

Nine Ball
12-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I would have no problem driving a Gen 5 daily. They are comfortable and have all the popular luxury car amenities. Gen 2 would be more like a weekend toy. The Gen 5 will feel like a rocket ship, compared to a stock Gen 2. You could always buy a clean Gen 2 and drive it for a year, to evaluate it. Not like they are going down in value, so you could almost own one for free, as long as you don't put a ton of miles on it that year.

viper_eddie
12-05-2014, 09:47 AM
If your going to start looking at Gen IIs there are lots and lots of upgraded cars out there :)

Here's my thoughts,
My car is a 2000 Non ABS car, it comes stock with Brembo 4 piston calipers on the front and a single piston caliper on the rear, nothing wrong with this however if you ever plan on doing a lot of track days you might want to think of looking for a car which has had Brake upgrades.

Now the Stock braking is balanced out at about 70% Front and 30% rear, I found even at slow speeds (under 30 mph) on a damp road the front brakes would lock up too soon if you hit them quick. I did the Toms 40mm rear brake caliper upgrade, basically the piston in the rear caliper is sleeved taking it from 36mm to 40mm, does not sound much but this balances the car out to 60% front braking, 40% rear braking, much, much better and also saves on unsprung weight the bigger brake systems add. This mod is not something you can do yourself as the caliper body requires machining work. So I would look for a car with brake upgrades, Good tires (not old Pilot Sport 1s) Smooth air intake tubes and clean fluids. Belanger headers? Corsa rear exhaust? Nice raspy sound, Later gen IIs also have an internal glass hatch release lever by the drivers seat floor (on the gts) Colour? Stripes? Early Gen IIs had 17" wheels, Later Gen IIs had 18" wheels, Some people who have done Stoptech Big Brake upgrades have gone for 18" front wheels and 19" on the rear, the 19" wheels fill out the rear arches a bit more. Supercharger? TT? :D

Just some things to think about, have fun searching :)

My number one choice is a 99 ACR which has California legal Edelbrock headers, California not-so-legal high flow cats (should still pass visual inspection since nobody will take the car apart to check) and from then on I think Edelbrock cat-back exhaust.

It DOES have the big brake kit which is a huge plus for me. That's the reason why I haven't spent 40k on a Gen 2 yet, I won't buy one without ABS that has not had the brakes upgraded unless the seller allows a discount for that. So far none of them have.

Only problem w/ this ACR is that the owner is firm on 45 and I really don't want to spend more than 43 on it.

Bugman Jeff
12-05-2014, 10:31 AM
I DD my Gen II in the summer months, 40 miles a day. Unless you have a pristine super low miles car, there is no good reason not to use it daily.

Creatre
12-05-2014, 01:07 PM
It's nice having a car to drive on crappy days and have the convenience of a quiet/easy driving car sometimes. It's also nice not to have to replace consumable as much (tires, brakes, oil, etc). It helps keep the Viper stay clean and in great condition. However, with that said, the Gen V is a great car and if it fits your budget and you can deal without having the extra space, then go for it!

v10enomous
12-05-2014, 01:18 PM
I arrived at the conclusion that I need a Jeep, a GenII and a GenV. I need my Jeep to pull my boat and ATV trailers and negotiate boat ramps and OHV parking areas plus I travel good distances to some of those destinations so a modern, reliable and comfortable vehicle is a must. Since both Vipers are weekend cars I enjoy them equally. If I had to DD one of the Vipers it would be the GenV. If I could only have two vehicles it would be the Jeep and the GenII.

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o67/charlielanz2/charlielanz2112/1009141104a1_zps342ea876.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o67/charlielanz2/charlielanz2111/1009141155a1_zps0f191478.jpg

viper_eddie
12-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Nice set up and toys, v10enomous!

Can you give me a breakdown of the pros and cons in your opinion of both the Gen II and Gen V? Since you have both it seems like you'd know well.

It's interesting to see the responses of others; basically if you own or have owned a Gen II, you will recommend it. If you own a Gen III or Gen IV then you're more inclined towards the Gen V :)

It reminds me of the 911 debate; if you're an old school air-cooled kind of guy, that's what you'll go for. If you have one of the newer ones, you will recommend those.

Overall, not a bad choice to have and I'm sure I can't go wrong with either. The dealer said he would have some numbers for me today (I think they would take low to mid 70s for a new 2013) and I also texted the ACR guy and told him for 43k I'll probably take it.

In case anyone is interested, this might potentially be a good deal, the guy wants 30k.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Viper-GTS-Coupe-2-Door-1998-dodge-viper-gts-coupe-2-door-8-0-l-/151503487004?forcerrptr=true&hash=item23464fc01c&item=151503487004&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

v10enomous
12-05-2014, 02:36 PM
Nice set up and toys, v10enomous!

Can you give me a breakdown of the pros and cons in your opinion of both the Gen II and Gen V? Since you have both it seems like you'd know well.

I don't track my cars so they are purely just weekend cruisers but I'm sure that people would steer you toward a GenV for that. Like I said I enjoy both the GenII and GenV equally. My GenII is a 98 so it doesn't even have ABS and it has a catback exhaust with no cats so I love the way it sounds. The two are very similar in many ways and yet very different in other ways. They both have great styling but it's amazing how some folks clearly prefer the looks of the GenV and some the GenII. Looks are pretty much a tie in my mind. To me the GenII is pefect for the reason I bought it. I wanted something that had a raw feel like an old muscle car but was more drivable and dependable and would cruise at today's much faster highway speeds. The Genv on the other hand still has some of that raw feel but it's just a better car for longer outings and more routine use. You really don't want to get caught in the rain in either car but a GenII is a handful but maybe that's not a big deal where you live. The main reason I bought the GenV is that while the GenII has been absolutely bullet proof I just like the idea of having a newer car for the reliability aspect. A 17 year old car even with only the 37k miles I have on it is still a 17 year old car. Overall they are both so awesome in their own special ways that I can't picture parting with either one.

slitherv10
12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Gen2 and the Wrangler is what seems to be the answer to your style and needs. I have a Gen 2 and own a Gen 4 at the same time and the ride is very different. Gen 4 feels tighter and more effortless or current to drive, and the Gen 2 feels more raw and fulfilling. I love driving my Gen 2 and thus sold my 4 just a few weeks ago. I wouldn't sell my Gen 2 for nothing. There will always be a faster and better racehorse but at the end of the day you have to love what you have. That will last forever. Speed and technology will continue to provide us with bigger and better. Own what you love not what is loved.

vipertank
12-05-2014, 08:55 PM
I have a gen 2 and a wrangler...but my wrangler is from 2004, when they were much more, um, like a "Jeep" than the 2007-present version(not knocking the newer ones off-road capabilities), but they are not as simple and are more for the luxury jeep segment. That said I wouldn't daily drive either the Wrangler (newer or otherwise) or the Viper...cause sometimes on the road you DON'T want to stand out (Viper stands out) and you DO want to be able to control your car on the highway for 1 second of distraction (jeep cannot), and you just want to go over speed bumps without a care, park next to whoever, get dents, rust, road salt all over the car and be totally ok with it while enjoying complete anonymity on the road. My choice: Toyota Corolla. Honest, inexpensive, doesn't ask for anything in return transportation. And I never have to worry about ending up on YouTube cause I was filmed by a person hanging out in my blind spot. Got the budget for 3 cars???

Helo Steve
12-06-2014, 08:29 AM
H
I have a gen 2 and a wrangler...but my wrangler is from 2004, when they were much more, um, like a "Jeep" than the 2007-present version(not knocking the newer ones off-road capabilities), but they are not as simple and are more for the luxury jeep segment. That said I wouldn't daily drive either the Wrangler (newer or otherwise) or the Viper...cause sometimes on the road you DON'T want to stand out (Viper stands out) and you DO want to be able to control your car on the highway for 1 second of distraction (jeep cannot), and you just want to go over speed bumps without a care, park next to whoever, get dents, rust, road salt all over the car and be totally ok with it while enjoying complete anonymity on the road. My choice: Toyota Corolla. Honest, inexpensive, doesn't ask for anything in return transportation. And I never have to worry about ending up on YouTube cause I was filmed by a person hanging out in my blind spot. Got the budget for 3 cars???

You just described my stable! I have a Gen II and a Corolla! Gotta get to work, park in a bad spot, not worry about leaving your car somewhere, be incognito on the road? The Corolla has you covered!

Want to go out for some insane fun when the weather is nice? Gen II Viper!!!

Perfect matchup for me!

vipertank
12-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Helo Steve, nice! Maybe next time there is a Viper event but the weather stinks we can all cruise our Corollas! Lol

viper_eddie
12-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input, really appreciated and it did help. I am trying to finalize this week between the 2 Gen IIs I've found and will keep everyone updated.

viperboon
01-31-2015, 06:04 PM
i think is is worth an extra $2,000 to be happy and get what you want, or some one els will buy that can buy the time you decide. if you louse it go with the gen 5, i just got one just recently gen2 friken amazingn still in shock love it and my licence is supended for only a few more days, how long will i keep it this time not sure,

AZTVR
02-02-2015, 09:08 AM
i think is is worth an extra $2,000 to be happy and get what you want, or some one els will buy that can buy the time you decide. if you louse it go with the gen 5, i just got one just recently gen2 friken amazingn still in shock love it and my licence is supended for only a few more days, how long will i keep it this time not sure,

xsellnt. mst well gud car did that !

viperboon
02-02-2015, 11:43 AM
xsellnt. mst well gud car did that !

what ? you lost me i am guessing "must sell good car did that? not sure thow...

TitleMine
02-02-2015, 02:36 PM
Would you rather have a DD and a Gen 2 or only a Gen 5?

Probably going to be flamed for this, but here's my opinion.

I used to think the idea of owning one mega car that could do everything was the be-all and end all, no more.

One, a Viper is a Viper, it's not a 911. A 911 can vanish in a Whole Foods parking lot without too much fuss unless it's an RS. That means your blood pressure is constantly going to be up anytime you're somewhere and you can't see it. It also limits where you can visit by its design. You have to scratch certain restaurants and stores off your list if you're driving it, because they have really high/janky driveways.

The worst thing, though, is that despite being mega reliable, the Viper somehow plays by the mileage rules of true supercars, unlike Vettes and GTR's and 911s, which generally play by the rules of high end sports cars.

Here's what I mean:

A 2007 911 Turbo with 60,000 miles on it? Cool beans, normal depreciation, but still worth $60-64K.

A Dodge Viper with 60,000 miles on it? You couldn't give that away, even with a clean title.

And this is what sucks, unless you plan to keep your Viper until the wheels fall off, you are gonna lose, and lose big, if you rack up casual miles on it driving places to work, etc. those miles are going to take a massive bite out of your value (justified or not), and IMO, the enjoyment you're going to get from being stuck at a light and just trying to make it to the office won't be NEARLY enough to make up for the money you're losing on depreciation.

Get a regular commuter car and a Gen II, or a beater (<$6,000, you can get a nice Honda or Toyota) and a Gen V, but I would never DD a Viper, even though you definitely can, and would definitely love it, unless money was absolutely, positively no object, like you have a high five-figure monthly income or something, or your commute is a stone's throw, like <8 miles.

The other option is to get a high mileage one. Once it has 35,000 miles on it, it's a wash, the next 20,000 miles won't make much of a difference on the value.

slitherv10
02-02-2015, 05:56 PM
Probably going to be flamed for this, but here's my opinion.

I used to think the idea of owning one mega car that could do everything was the be-all and end all, no more.

One, a Viper is a Viper, it's not a 911. A 911 can vanish in a Whole Foods parking lot without too much fuss unless it's an RS. That means your blood pressure is constantly going to be up anytime you're somewhere and you can't see it. It also limits where you can visit by its design. You have to scratch certain restaurants and stores off your list if you're driving it, because they have really high/janky driveways.

The worst thing, though, is that despite being mega reliable, the Viper somehow plays by the mileage rules of true supercars, unlike Vettes and GTR's and 911s, which generally play by the rules of high end sports cars.

Here's what I mean:

A 2007 911 Turbo with 60,000 miles on it? Cool beans, normal depreciation, but still worth $60-64K.

A Dodge Viper with 60,000 miles on it? You couldn't give that away, even with a clean title.

And this is what sucks, unless you plan to keep your Viper until the wheels fall off, you are gonna lose, and lose big, if you rack up casual miles on it driving places to work, etc. those miles are going to take a massive bite out of your value (justified or not), and IMO, the enjoyment you're going to get from being stuck at a light and just trying to make it to the office won't be NEARLY enough to make up for the money you're losing on depreciation.

Get a regular commuter car and a Gen II, or a beater (<$6,000, you can get a nice Honda or Toyota) and a Gen V, but I would never DD a Viper, even though you definitely can, and would definitely love it, unless money was absolutely, positively no object, like you have a high five-figure monthly income or something, or your commute is a stone's throw, like <8 miles.

The other option is to get a high mileage one. Once it has 35,000 miles on it, it's a wash, the next 20,000 miles won't make much of a difference on the value.

That comparison is unrealistic.

Lets take a 2008 Porsche turbo and a 2008 Viper. Porsche price @ 140,000. Viper @ 110,000. That's an Approx difference of 30,000 dollars. A used 08 Porsche today with 60,000 Miles on it would be around 60,000. A used 08 Viper today would be approx. 40,000, where as the Viper engine is sill strong and ready. Big difference in my opinion. A much better bang for your buck on the Viper over the Porsche. All things equal of course.

I personally would have no problem buying a high mileage Viper, where as a Porsche, Yikes!!

MalingatorGTS
02-02-2015, 06:10 PM
I have a Gen II and a daily. My daily is a Mitsubishi Montero with 140k plus but has leather and is a bear in the snow when in 4x4. I can drive it and park it just about anywhere and not have a heart attack about a door ding, someone touching it, rock chips, you get the point.

The cheap daily I bought makes it so much easier to enjoy the Viper when I want and where I want. When and if the day comes that it dies, I will buy another 5k SUV that gets me from point A to B. My wife has a 2015 Chevy Equinox so if we go somewhere as a family, we don't show up in my "beater."

I also drive and park in a semi-war zone non-secured gravel parking area in a very urban enviroment daily for work . Many of us just buy "beaters" for that reason.

Sorry got sidetracked. I say buy one, or both and keep a daily.

99RT10
02-02-2015, 06:36 PM
That comparison is unrealistic.

Lets take a 2008 Porsche turbo and a 2008 Viper. Porsche price @ 140,000. Viper @ 110,000. That's an Approx difference of 30,000 dollars. A used 08 Porsche today with 60,000 Miles on it would be around 60,000. A used 08 Viper today would be approx. 40,000, where as the Viper engine is sill strong and ready. Big difference in my opinion. A much better bang for your buck on the Viper over the Porsche. All things equal of course.

I personally would have no problem buying a high mileage Viper, where as a Porsche, Yikes!!

I think you're off quite a bit on the 08 viper value. Even with 50k miles it would still be worth $50-53k.

Another question not yet brought up, insurance. If you only drive a Gen 5, insurance will not be cheap. I would bet if you had a weekend car along with a DD, it would be cheaper than just insuring the Gen 5.

slitherv10
02-02-2015, 07:49 PM
I think you're off quite a bit on the 08 viper value. Even with 50k miles it would still be worth $50-53k.

Another question not yet brought up, insurance. If you only drive a Gen 5, insurance will not be cheap. I would bet if you had a weekend car along with a DD, it would be cheaper than just insuring the Gen 5.

I don't think I am off the true SALE value at all. Asking value yes....I agree most are asking close to what you quoted, but, sale price...not even close. I had an 08 Vert up for grabs for a whole year on here, autotrader, kijiji and the like with not one bite for 46,000. Not one. I know timinside had his as well for 44 I believe and it finally sold. I had 40K miles on mine. Believe me, I am sure there are one or two suckers who paid over 50 for one a half a year ago or more only to find out now they are losing big dineros now with the re pricing of the Gen 5.
40K for a 60,000 mile 08 is slightly low but mid 40's would not be out of the question if you wanted to sell it. SELL IT, not ask it. I traded mine in and got the tax savings which added to my sale price and I was ok with it. 50-53 for an 08 is way too high right now with used Gen V's with 10K's on them going for high 60's in some cases and soon will if their not. You can already find low 70's deals. Wait a few more months and you'll see them where they belong in the high 60's.

viper_eddie
02-02-2015, 08:07 PM
I never updated this thread but figured since I started another thread and since this forum is pretty small, most people would have noticed. I ended up buying a 2009 because I got a killer deal on it. After taking it to an HPDE event I decided I really want a special version Viper. I know it's kind of silly but it's just the way I think.

Somebody should be showing up tomorrow to buy it. I'm going to look at a Gen IV ACR or used 2014 TA. I missed out one orange TA for 85k but mine hadn't sold yet. The new TA 2.0 is about 100k I believe. If I can't find one that I like I will just revert back to the aforementioned 1999 ACR. Maybe after almost a year he'll go down to 43k :)

A Gen IV with normal mileage is around the 52-60k mark right now from what I've seen. The market for the Gen V (and consequently Gen IV and III) is still not settled because many sellers are still dreaming and asking in the 60s for a Gen IV. I think by the time summer comes along used Gen V SRTs will be in the 65-75k range and Gen IVs in the low 50 range.

TitleMine
02-02-2015, 11:19 PM
@Slitherv10, you're right, if, and only if, you have no plans to resell. The market doesn't care about what we think, it doesn't even care about the truth. A high mileage Viper loses value precipitously, like a high-mileage Lambo, even though you and I know that that it's FAR, FAR more reliable.

@99RT10, it's not 2013 anymore. No 08 with 50K miles on it is worth fifty-anything. 08's with <20K miles on them are taking 4 months to sell at <55K.

Eddie is bang-on with his pricing predictions. The Gen IV is in the midst of a precipitous drop in value.

Bad Apple
02-03-2015, 09:42 PM
I have had six Vipers. 1994 RT10) / 99 RT10 / 98 GTS Hennessey / 05 SRT10 VCA # 16 / 08 ACR and now have a 2002 GTS # 143. I bought these cars to enjoy. I knew I would lose some money when I would sell them. Do you not think people loose money on a Lambo. The new Vipers has priced them out of their market. These cars are cheap built. I bought my wife a SLK55 Mercedes AMG that has a hard top that lets down with a push of a button. I take out my Viper like I ride my Harley, when the weather is nice. How can a Vette cost half as much as a Viper. Both are union workers. The old Vipers will settle down like the old Vettes. Sure would like to have a nice 63 split window. My first Viper was the 94 and had more fun with it than the others.

ViperDC
02-05-2015, 10:01 AM

Not even close. $40-42k and you would be lucky to get that.

viper_eddie
02-23-2015, 10:44 PM
Not sure if anyone cares but thought I should mention it in just in case. Picked up a 1998 GTS this Thursday for relatively cheap but the car does have 40k miles on it. I figured it will be good to keep me in the Viper world until I decide between the Gen 2 ACR, Gen 4 ACR or Gen 5 TA. They're all excellent cars in their own way and this one should help me decide if I want a Gen 2 or not.

I have to be honest, though, the Gen 4 spoiled me a bit. It provides just enough refinement but still an overall raw experience. Only downside is the looks...you don't get the traditional Viper styling. Have only driven a Gen 5 around a block so not enough time there to really tell how I feel about the driving experience. Biggest worry I have about Gen 5s is all that electronic stuff.

slitherv10
02-24-2015, 12:09 AM
My hunch...and only a hunch, is that the Gen 3 and 4 cars are stuck in the middle of a Viper identity crisis right now seeing as the Gen 5 has more of the Gen 2 styling in it. The Gen 3's unfortunately lost big value because of that and the Gen 4's are only holding on longer to their price because of the HP and performance aspect. Will they ever be worth what a Gen 3 is? I would say no. Once again because of the Performance they have over the Gen 3. The Gen 2's though will hold their value very well and in my opinion some, and I repeat some, will gain a bit. Which ones? Well we have already seen some years, color combos and limited run cars steady up financially. The Gen 5 will also have its day when the Gen 6 comes out. Hopefully it dos not end up like the Gen 3 and finds a struggle to holds its identity as well. All depends on what Chrysler has in store for the future.

I for one love my 96 and having owed that and a Gen 4 at the same time, I wold pick the Gen 2 all day long. Obviously not because of performance, but its aura and its unique nature that a Gen 2 will in my opinion always hold among the rest.

That being said, the Gen 1's will start to respond soon as well. As the wicked witch of the north said," all in good time my little pretty, all in good time".

braunstein82
02-24-2015, 04:14 AM
If you do mind saying, what did you pay for the Gts. I have a 98 with 37k miles. Just curious to know what they are actually being sold for.

Helo Steve
02-24-2015, 05:37 AM
You picked the best year! I am biased though! Congrats on the pick up, it is a raw and fun car!

v10enomous
02-24-2015, 07:09 AM
I love my 98 every bit as much as my GenV and even more in some ways. Great Choice !

viper_eddie
02-24-2015, 09:43 AM
My hunch...and only a hunch, is that the Gen 3 and 4 cars are stuck in the middle of a Viper identity crisis right now seeing as the Gen 5 has more of the Gen 2 styling in it. The Gen 3's unfortunately lost big value because of that and the Gen 4's are only holding on longer to their price because of the HP and performance aspect. Will they ever be worth what a Gen 3 is? I would say no. Once again because of the Performance they have over the Gen 3. The Gen 2's though will hold their value very well and in my opinion some, and I repeat some, will gain a bit. Which ones? Well we have already seen some years, color combos and limited run cars steady up financially. The Gen 5 will also have its day when the Gen 6 comes out. Hopefully it dos not end up like the Gen 3 and finds a struggle to holds its identity as well. All depends on what Chrysler has in store for the future.

I for one love my 96 and having owed that and a Gen 4 at the same time, I wold pick the Gen 2 all day long. Obviously not because of performance, but its aura and its unique nature that a Gen 2 will in my opinion always hold among the rest.

That being said, the Gen 1's will start to respond soon as well. As the wicked witch of the north said," all in good time my little pretty, all in good time".

I agree with you completely. If I had the money and parking space, I would have picked up a 1992 just to sit on it. I also think the Gen 4 will always have a premium over the Gen 3 for obvious reasons but also a bit over the standard run of the mill Gen 2. Simply because of performance. While I do like the looks of the Gen 4, it doesn't have the classic styling of the first 2 generations which most people think is what a Viper should look like. Having said that, I do like the Gen 4 because it is the last of the true Vipers in regards to electronic nanny's and simplicity.

The Gen 5 took the performance up a notch and the styling back to where it should always have been. Because of that I think it will also hold its value pretty well. If I was to wager a bet, I would say the Gen 6 will have some sort of auto transmission and forced induction. That could make the Gen 5 the last of the N/A cars, but we'll see...

If you do mind saying, what did you pay for the Gts. I have a 98 with 37k miles. Just curious to know what they are actually being sold for.

I paid 29,500 for it, however, I don't think you should completely base yours on mine. This one has a few small things I need to sort out but overall it's a clean car. I think yours is in better shape, for sure. Another 1997 or 1998 w/ 30-40k miles just sold on eBay for 28k, I believe it was red but it had a matte black wrap. I would have picked up that one if I hadn't gotten this one already. Forgot to mention that both mine and the one on eBay have over 5 owners so that takes value down a bit.

Warm season still hasn't hit us so I can't say what I really think these Gen 2 GTS cars are worth. Most of the cars priced over 36k I'm still seeing for sale; it's a bit sad to see them depreciate but spring is around the corner so once things warm up maybe they'll get back up a few grand.

You picked the best year! I am biased though! Congrats on the pick up, it is a raw and fun car!

I was pleasantly surprised to see it has manual mirrors lol...I was driving and looking around for 5 minutes trying to figure out where the damn switch is. Just decided screw it I'll push the mirrors. It is a fun car and definitely raw, love that 708 cam too.

I love my 98 every bit as much as my GenV and even more in some ways. Great Choice !

I need to get more seat time in a Gen V but right now I'm leaning towards the Gen 2 because I have a feeling a new Viper will be released within a year so the Gen Vs might go down a bit more.

gpearl
02-24-2015, 10:56 AM
I was not aware of that; I knew that the ACRs had leaking issues but I thought all had Dynamics. I guess that's a plus.

Thanks to everyone else who answered. My heart really is leaning towards a Gen II. I know that if I had a Gen V and someone pulled up next to me in a Gen 2 I would be a bit envious; whereas, if the opposite happened I wouldn't really care.

My girlfriend has a Miata so I really would not have any vehicle for those rare (but still needed) trips when you have to carry oversized goods. Will be on the lookout and will post pics once I get something. Will also most likely drive that Gen V from the dealer just because :)

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend with more cargo space (that sounds wrong).

viper_eddie
02-24-2015, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you need a new girlfriend with more cargo space (that sounds wrong).

Lol...if I had a driveway, I would buy a beater Miata just to track the crap out of it.

v10enomous
02-24-2015, 03:17 PM
It is a fun car and definitely raw, love that 708 cam too.

So true ! For me a 98 GTS offers the perfect balance of old school big displacement muscle car with just enough real world usability on today's roads. It's like having a Shelby Daytona coupe or Ferrari 250 GTO that you can actually drive and go places in.

1997Viper
02-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Not sure if anyone cares but thought I should mention it in just in case. Picked up a 1998 GTS this Thursday for relatively cheap but the car does have 40k miles on it. I figured it will be good to keep me in the Viper world until I decide between the Gen 2 ACR, Gen 4 ACR or Gen 5 TA. They're all excellent cars in their own way and this one should help me decide if I want a Gen 2 or not.

I have to be honest, though, the Gen 4 spoiled me a bit. It provides just enough refinement but still an overall raw experience. Only downside is the looks...you don't get the traditional Viper styling. Have only driven a Gen 5 around a block so not enough time there to really tell how I feel about the driving experience. Biggest worry I have about Gen 5s is all that electronic stuff.

I think Gen II is a great choice. I DD my 97 GTS for many years (in CA), multiple flat tires on highway and 2 windshields from rock chips and enjoyed it all the way. Previous comments on brakes (ended up going to StopTech) and lock up in the wet were dead on. Beyond brakes, not so commented on long term list for making DD life in a Gen 2 Enjoyable: (1) Skip Shift Eliminator (2) Softer Tires (3) Better Stereo (4) MGW Gas Cap (to have people stop messing with stock one). With 40k, check the P/S bracket for cracks (mine broke at about 35k, not fun).

Enjoy the roads in Gen II.