PDA

View Full Version : DSE Gen III / IV Closeout Panel

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 07:47 AM
As some of you are aware I’ve been working for a while on a closeout panel design since it was requested to have a cheaper solution than the Arrow version and also one that is compatible with the Gen III. The original intent was to fabricate an aluminum part. As the details of the necessary design played out it was clear that carbon fiber would be a cheaper and easier to manufacture part than aluminum (surprisingly!)

For development of this part the car was laser scanned, we fabricated an aluminum prototype, and now have two rapid prototype options. The first option is flat, the second option incorporates holes that feed into the hood ducts to promote the “ram air” effect.

The original idea was that blockers could be used depending on the track / ambient temps / etc. to adjust the ratio of engine temp reduction to “ram air” effect.The downside of the version with vents/holes is a bit more cost, especially if we get into adding blockers to adjust the airflow. It also wouldn’t look as clean with the blockers on there but I think it looks cool as is. Without blockers the engine temp cooling effect will be less, but I can’t quantify that with our current weather conditions.

If you’re interested in this let me know and also which version you’d like to see. The design should fit the Gen III and IV. Let me know which version you’d be interested in.

Cost is estimated to be $425 for the simple version, and it would go up a bit for the adjustable version. My thought is maybe the simple version is best just to keep cost down, which was the original goal.

Since I need to invest in a carbon mold I’ll need to get some good response to bring the product to market.

Thanks
Doug

In but unspecified:
- slowhatch
- VIPER BAZ UK
- 01sapphirebob

Ram Air Version:
- ACRucrazy
- fuggles
- Ninjazx71
- DEMO MAN
- Slithr
- RDV-001
- J TNT
- cubican
- ca_viper
- Redx
- sssammm
- Steve M
- fastmd
- Revolution

Flat Version:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 07:48 AM
More photos. Does the Gen III hood have ducts like this?151911519215193

ACRucrazy
01-22-2016, 07:56 AM
I think I'd be down for a ram air version. Hoping the hood doesn't rub on it like the Arrow panel.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 08:01 AM
I think I'd be down for a ram air version. Hoping the book doesn't rub on it like the Arrow panel.

The design of this one is different, there is no place it contacts the hood so it shouldn't rub anywhere.

FrgMstr
01-22-2016, 09:49 AM
The design of this one is different, there is no place it contacts the hood so it shouldn't rub anywhere.

You do some great work there Doug! Your design looks a better than Arrow's for sure. Here is a shot of the Arrow for those wondering the differences. I would buy one of yours if I needed it. Wouldn't it just be cheaper for you to go with one mold though?

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/Viper%20Cleaning%203.jpg

ACRucrazy
01-22-2016, 09:55 AM

Nice! The ram air version seems ideal as that's how the hood was originally designed to pull air in from in front of the radiator. If someone wants a carbon flat version that blocks that off, the Arrow is already available.

FrgMstr
01-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Nice! The ram air version seems ideal as that's how the hood was originally designed to pull air in from in front of the radiator. If someone wants a carbon flat version that blocks that off, the Arrow is already available.

Not sure how "available" these are from Arrow. Assuredly VOA members will get better service from Doug than they ever will from Arrow on these kinds of products though. :)

fuggles
01-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Really nice work. I'm down for a ram air version.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 10:26 AM
You do some great work there Doug! Your design looks a better than Arrow's for sure. Here is a shot of the Arrow for those wondering the differences. I would buy one of yours if I needed it. Wouldn't it just be cheaper for you to go with one mold though?

http://kylebennett.com/files/hfpics/Viper%20Cleaning%203.jpg

Thanks!

Yes I am only going with one mold. If there is enough interest in the ram air version I will go that route. Might be an option to block that off or for it to come without holes for those who are more interested in max cooling instead of ram air.

So if you want the ram air version let me know if you'd care about closing off the holes (or if tape would be good enough for the track).

ACRucrazy
01-22-2016, 10:47 AM
Ram Air Version:
- ACRucrazy
-
-
-
-
-
-

Flat Version:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Ninjazx71
01-22-2016, 10:47 AM
I'd be down for one of the ram air style... I'd think that tape would be sufficient for those concerned about this at the track, but I'm not a track rat either so I don't know if that's true for everyone. I'll definitely pick one up either way, but would prefer the ram air style...

DEMO MAN
01-22-2016, 11:12 AM
I would be interested in the ram air version. Are the hood openings the same on Gen 3 and 4?

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 11:14 AM
I would be interested in the ram air version. Are the hood openings the same on Gen 3 and 4?

Looking at photos the Gen III openings are larger than the Gen IV.

DEMO MAN
01-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Looking at photos the Gen III openings are larger than the Gen IV.

For some reason I remember my Gen 3 being smaller than my Gen 4 but I will point out I'm old and don't have a memory anymore. Would you have 2 versions of the ram air panel?

RDV-001
01-22-2016, 11:23 AM
What is the big difference in RAM air and the normal closed panel? I see it has to do with cooling but how?

R.

ACRucrazy
01-22-2016, 11:31 AM
What is the big difference in RAM air and the normal closed panel? I see it has to do with cooling but how?

R.

If you look at your hood when its open, there are holes in the side front corners like Doug pictured. My understanding is these pull air from in front of the radiator, and feed it to the air box.

Airflow -> in lower grill opening -> into hood on the side openings in front of radiator -> through hood and out the center opening -> into airbox.

If you put a flat panel in there, you block off that airflow and rely on the airflow coming in the center vent on the outside of the hood and whatever the side hood openings pull from the warm engine bay.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 11:33 AM

R.

The closeout panel forces air through the radiator instead of up and around for cooler engine temps on the track. By allowing some of that air to go back through the hood into the intake the extra cooling effects are reduced (but some extra power is probably gained at speed). It is a give and take directing the air that comes in the front grille to be used in different ways.

I didn't really care about the looks of that area before but I think it will look really nice to have it closed off.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 11:36 AM
For some reason I remember my Gen 3 being smaller than my Gen 4 but I will point out I'm old and don't have a memory anymore. Would you have 2 versions of the ram air panel?

No I don't think it is necessary to have two designs, the point is to have some flow but also direct flow through the radiators so I think a common design will be sufficient and also more cost effective.

It will take around 25 units sold to break even on the carbon mold and prototyping expense.

FrgMstr
01-22-2016, 11:36 AM
I can attest that the Arrow panel dropped my summer operating temps here in Texas, by about 5 to 7F IIRC (sorry, it has been a few years). I have no doubt that Doug's will do the same. These are worth every penny IMO. Get one! I like the look of Doug's better than Arrow's, and Arrow's does have some spots on it that rubs the hood and gets scratched up. That is actually how I got mine used. The guy did not like the scratches. I threw down some electrical tape and called it a day, but I am a redneck like that. Doug's design looks like it will eliminate that aesthetic issue.

ACRucrazy
01-22-2016, 11:38 AM
I can attest that the Arrow panel dropped my summer operating temps here in Texas, by about 5 to 7F IIRC (sorry, it has been a few years). I have no doubt that Doug's will do the same. These are worth every penny IMO. Get one! I like the look of Doug's better than Arrow's, and Arrow's does have some spots on it that rubs the hood and gets scratched up. That is actually how I got mine used. The guy did not like the scratches. I threw down some electrical tape and called it a day, but I am a redneck like that. Doug's design looks like it will eliminate that aesthetic issue.

LOL :t1236:

FrgMstr
01-22-2016, 11:42 AM
The closeout panel forces air through the radiator instead of up and around for cooler engine temps on the track. By allowing some of that air to go back through the hood into the intake the extra cooling effects are reduced (but some extra power is probably gained at speed). It is a give and take directing the air that comes in the front grille to be used in different ways.

I didn't really care about the looks of that area before but I think it will look really nice to have it closed off.

I would suggest that the power "gain" with the ram air design because of a bit of extra pressure, is so minimal that you would likely be better power-wise going with the NON-ram air design as you are not flowing hotter air into the intake. Which I think is exactly what Arrow had in mind with its design.

The "ram air" design sound much more awesome, but I am not sure it is actually more beneficial in the end when it comes to power, or Arrow would have likely designed it that way. Of course all this is just talk and no real way of measuring it outside of having a wind tunnel with a dyno. :) Can you get that on your equipment list over there Doug?

Your thoughts Doug? You have obviously put a lot of time into this.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 11:54 AM
When moving the "ram air" should be fresh, cool air because it comes from the front of the radiator. Of course I need to put the skiis and chains on to test that now but that is where the hood ducts are located.

Slithr
01-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Doug, nice work!

I'd be interested in a CF ram air version for my Gen III, as long as there was no rubbing.

Looks like Frog and myself are having the same Arrow rub issue on our Gen IV's. I just might replace mine further down the road, it's only cosmetic.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/n599/Slithr/Arrow%20Block-Out_zpss9od8ql7.jpg

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 12:46 PM
The Arrow panel will always rub there because that rubber strip contacts the hood when it is closed. So the Arrow panel is sandwiched between the two and always making contact. This design tucks in under the rubber strip instead of going over it.

Steve M
01-22-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm in for one, but I can't decide between the ram air version vs. the closed version. Until today, I never noticed those holes in the hood...

J TNT
01-22-2016, 09:09 PM
I'd be interested in the Gen 3 version , with the Gen 4 Hood . Ram air version .
Designing for both Gen 3 and Gen 4 is a great idea to get volume and keep cost down . I believe there where twice as many Gen 3's produced compared to Gen 4 . fwiw .

FrgMstr
01-22-2016, 09:40 PM
Doug, nice work!

I'd be interested in a CF ram air version for my Gen III, as long as there was no rubbing.

Looks like Frog and myself are having the same Arrow rub issue on our Gen IV's. I just might replace mine further down the road, it's only cosmetic.

Some jackass scratched mine all up before I got it!!!! ;)

Yeah, the scratches are uglier in person. Surely take away if you are going for show car stuff with the hood up. You could always mask that little section off and shoot it with truck bedliner rattle can.

That said, and to get back on topic...

Doug, will yours have a carbon weave finish like the Arrow?? You going to clear coat or finish out otherwise?

SSGNRDZ_28
01-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Yes, as of now the plan is for the panel to have a cleared carbon weave.

cubican
01-22-2016, 10:48 PM
I'm in for the ram air not happy with the arrow I moded my to fit a gen 315219

Steve M
01-23-2016, 02:15 PM
After thinking about it some more, the ram air version would be the best of the options since you can retain that particular functionality, and if you don't need it, you can block it off with tape or whatever, but it all depends on if it significantly adds to the price. If it's +$50, I'd be okay with it, but if it adds $100+ to the cost of the product, I'd have to say no.

sssammm
01-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Im in for a Gen IV Ram

SSGNRDZ_28
01-23-2016, 07:37 PM
Seems like the ram air is the most popular. Working on some refinements and will get a quote so we know the cost and will hopefully get production underway soon.

Steve M
01-23-2016, 07:50 PM
It's a cool looking design...can't wait to see it in carbon.

Redx
01-23-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm in for a ram air version.

ca_viper
01-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Count me in for a ram air version also.

XSnake
01-24-2016, 09:45 AM
I'd be in but I already have a custom made one. Highly suggest this mod for everyone.

FrgMstr
01-24-2016, 12:31 PM
I'd be in but I already have a custom made one. Highly suggest this mod for everyone.

Pics of yours?

VIPER BAZ UK
01-24-2016, 02:39 PM
Interested

IndyRon
01-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Nice product Doug! Should be a great option for us Gen 3/4 guys. For those of you guys with rubbing issues, stick on felt on the hood contact points works and looks better than electrical tape on the panel FYI.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-28-2016, 07:26 AM
I had a meeting with the carbon people last night and we can do a mold that will allow the standard and ram air panels to be made. I haven't seen too much interest in the standard panel but knowing we can do either would be good.

I'm excited about bringing this part to market in carbon fiber, produced 100% in the USA, in Indianapolis, with the same hands that have worked carbon for IndyCar teams along with other impressive products. The part will be high quality visible carbon weave cleared for UV stability.

The next steps are going to be producing the first part in carbon, test fit, adjustments, etc. Pricing is not yet finalized but it will not be far from the original $425 plus shipping number for either version. We are probably looking at 8 weeks or so until the first article is complete and a few weeks from there to ship.

ACRucrazy
01-28-2016, 07:49 AM
I'll take the first one!

sssammm
01-28-2016, 09:35 AM
After me...If Baz is having one, we can do joint shipping

01sapphirebob
01-28-2016, 10:02 AM
Put me down for one. I've been anting to get some carbon under the hood. This might be the time to do it.

fastmd
01-28-2016, 03:11 PM
I would be in for ram air, gen 4.

Steve M
01-28-2016, 05:30 PM
Please keep us up to date, and if you need another test mule for fitment verification, I'd be more than happy to help.

RDV-001
01-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Doug,

I just checked my Gen III hood and it has RAM air holes but they are much bigger as the GEN III airfilterbox is much wider! I will try to make some pictures tomorrow and post. for the GEN IV the ram air holes converge in the center in front of the air filter box. Here it are just 2 big holes that are straight.

Roland

ACRucrazy
01-30-2016, 08:59 PM
Correct the Gen 3 hoods have bigger holes and they flow through my guess is because the vents are further back on the hood? They don't go into the center like on the IV.

RDV-001
01-31-2016, 07:04 AM
Indeed they just flow through. Here is an example:

I don't know if it is wise to take a RAM AIR version if the holes don't mach (rubbing?) a sthe ram air version holes are higher in the closeout panel to match the GEN IV hood.

R.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-31-2016, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the photo RDV

The two versions will be test fit on a Gen III before production proceeds, the goal is complete compatibility with both desigs on both platforms. I should have updates this week.

Yes, the Gen III hood has larger openings. At this time there are no plans to make two ram air versions as there would be 3 mold variants and the need to stock 3 variants and cost would be driven up. I also think the larger the ram air holes the less effective the panel will function for the intended purpose. That is unless a ton of Gen III owners commit and would like the larger ducts.

SSGNRDZ_28
01-31-2016, 08:58 AM
The airbox is wide enough on the III that they likely flow straight into the airbox, no need to duct to the center.

Revolution
02-07-2016, 03:18 AM
I would be interested in ram air Gen 4

SSGNRDZ_28
02-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Gen III test fit went well, planning to start production on the mold and prototype this week. Will post updates as I have them.

SSGNRDZ_28
02-22-2016, 12:29 PM
For those interested:

Mold production will be underway soon
Prototype completion estimated in 6 weeks
Prototype validation ~ 1 week (will post photos) Pre-order by this date for initial pricing.
Panels can be produced at 1 per day, so initial delivery will depend on receipt of order and initial demand (late April or May is expected)
Panels will be clear coated for UV stability

I have a link to pre-order these on my website, at $445 per panel, I can only guarantee this pricing for the initial run since future demand may not allow for a large build quantity.

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html

Thanks!
Doug

Redx
02-22-2016, 01:31 PM
Pre-ordered! Thank you for another product!

Vprbite
02-22-2016, 02:08 PM
So this will only be the "ram air" version or both? So which is better for my Gen III here in Arizona, mostly street driven, where operating temps are always my main concern?

Thanks!

slowhatch
02-22-2016, 02:34 PM
I still can't decide between the ram-air and standard, in my mind there are pros and cons with both and only test data would let me rest easy :)

RDV-001
02-22-2016, 02:40 PM
I have a GEN III and took the RAM air version. You can Always close the RAM function but if needed it is available. And in my humble opinion the RAM version looks better! You will see the GEN III hood has large openings vor RAM function.

Roland

SSGNRDZ_28
02-22-2016, 04:04 PM
So this will only be the "ram air" version or both? So which is better for my Gen III here in Arizona, mostly street driven, where operating temps are always my main concern?

Both versions are av
Thanks!

I still can't decide between the ram-air and standard, in my mind there are pros and cons with both and only test data would let me rest easy :)

Both ram air and standard versions are being made available.

The bottom line is if you care only / most about the coolest engine temps possible and never want the option to open up the hood ducting to the airbox you want the standard version. If you want some flexibility in setup I would go with the ram air version. The other consideration is preference of what the pieces look like. You also wouldn't want to get the ram air version and just keep it taped all the time. Lots of considerations.

I can't test until the weather clears up once the carbon parts are ready so I won't have good data for a few months. My guess is the ram air version fully open will be worth some improvement engine temp over no panel at all. You can then tape one side or the other as needed at the track. The standard version or fully taped ram air version will be worth the most gain in the engine temps (roughly 7 degrees if results are similar to the Arrow panel). I suspect the ram air version will yield an improvement in IAT over the standard version meaning the air is cooler and moving faster with speed.

I will go with the ram air version as I figure I can tune the ratio of engine temps as needed at the track with some tape and I will still have the benefit of additional air into the intake as needed. Most of the time unless on track I will run with the ducts open as I don't normally see elevated engine temps.

Steve M
02-22-2016, 07:11 PM
Ram air version pre-ordered.

Redx
02-22-2016, 07:45 PM
Doug, would it be possible to have a add on rubber plug?

SSGNRDZ_28
02-23-2016, 07:20 AM
Doug, would it be possible to have a add on rubber plug?

You mean a way to plug the ram air holes? I will look into it.

Redx
02-23-2016, 08:22 AM
You mean a way to plug the ram air holes? I will look into it.

Yes, sorry, i guess a easier way than taping. Do we have to worry about this panel rubbing like the arrow panel?

SSGNRDZ_28
02-23-2016, 09:05 AM
Do we have to worry about this panel rubbing like the arrow panel?

Nope!

fastmd
02-23-2016, 09:17 AM
Just ordered Gen IV ram air.

xkidrt
02-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Just ordered mine. Can't wait to get it. Thanks Doug!

Mr. Bill
03-09-2016, 08:22 AM
in for the ram air (gen 3)

SSGNRDZ_28
03-30-2016, 06:54 AM
Just a quick update, the mold has been machined, will be polished, and if all goes well I will have the first piece ready for test fit next week.

Once I have photos the first piece and confirmation of fit, I there will be another week or so for orders to be placed before production starts.

SSGNRDZ_28
04-05-2016, 10:55 AM
More progress. The first panel is out of the (now polished) mold but has not yet been trimmed or clear coated. Extremely light weight. Next step is to trim, test fit and make any necessary adjustments.

sssammm
04-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Looks well

Revolution
04-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Awesome news ��

JoeTSI
04-05-2016, 04:03 PM
New member and new Gen III owner here but I would be interested in the standard panel as I would like to lower temps seeing as I live in Alabama.

FATHERFORD
04-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Someone with a paxton setup really has no need for the ram air correct on a gen III?

SSGNRDZ_28
04-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Someone with a paxton setup really has no need for the ram air correct on a gen III?

Not so much for the ram air effect but it could still provide some cool air to the airbox, otherwise it would all need to come through the top of the hood.

SSGNRDZ_28
04-15-2016, 03:15 PM
First article complete (not clear coated yet). Fits perfectly. Weight 0.5 lbs.

Secure your order now if interested, production will begin next week.

Ninjazx71
04-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Got my "ram air" version pre-ordered. Can't wait to get it!

VIPER BAZ UK
04-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Sssammm

Let me know if your interested?? Spoke to Doug about doing a UK shipment

sssammm
04-15-2016, 05:22 PM
Yep, count me in Baz

fuggles
04-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Ordered

Redx
04-19-2016, 10:27 AM
What are we looking at for shipping dates?

SSGNRDZ_28
04-20-2016, 06:43 AM
The plan is as follows:

Only one can be made per day. They all need to be clear coated after they come out of the mold. To maintain the price point I will clear them in batches of 10. Given one per day, a few days to clear coat and adjust the mold I’m hoping to the first 10 will be done in about 3 weeks. To complicate matters I will be spending full days at the speedway starting May 11 so hopefully they can be shipped before then. The next 10 about 15 days after that, and so on. Would have loved to start producing them yesterday but I want them to be perfect for everyone.

Thanks
Doug

VIPER BAZ UK
04-20-2016, 03:16 PM
x2 for the UK at the moment ...

SSGNRDZ_28
05-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Hi everyone. Thanks for your orders so far. As the schedule clears up a bit, I am targeting shipping most / all of those who have ordered to date on May 19. The next ship date will likely be sometime in June after production ends.

May 19 will also be the last day to get your order in for this run at this price so that I can adjust production numbers accordingly and add quantities to the end of the run.

Thanks
Doug

VIPER BAZ UK
05-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Thank you Doug...

Looking forward to fitting them..

SSGNRDZ_28
05-10-2016, 12:47 PM
All - here are the installation instructions, these are still on track to ship May 19.

Thanks
Doug

Ninjazx71
05-12-2016, 07:54 PM
these are still on track to ship May 19.

WOO HOO!!!!! Can't wait to get mine!

BRACR
05-13-2016, 08:43 PM
Please pm me the price.

ca_viper
05-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Just ordered!! Thanks.

SSGNRDZ_28
05-18-2016, 01:26 PM
Please pm me the price.

Hi, just saw this... for some reason I'm not able to PM you but pricing is $445 plus shipping. Orders can be placed here: http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html

Thanks
Doug

RDV-001
05-18-2016, 02:55 PM
very excited, my closeout panel is on its way :-)

VIPER BAZ UK
05-19-2016, 02:41 AM
Just had conformation that the UK ones are on there way....

Cheers Doug

sssammm
05-19-2016, 04:19 AM
Excellent, any ETA?

SSGNRDZ_28
05-19-2016, 06:46 AM
Guys,

A bit of a false start on the shipping. All was in order to ship yesterday, hence the shipping notices, but upon final inspection the finish on the clear coat wasn't perfect to my eyes under certain lighting. This happens on carbon parts at times and will require more wet sanding and coat(s) of clear to get things to a point where I'm happy. While I really wanted them to ship yesterday, I would much rather have a quality product go out the door. Stay tuned, but I would think shipping will resume early next week.

Thanks,
Doug

VIPER BAZ UK
05-19-2016, 03:43 PM
Cheers Doug..... Admire your attention to detail....

shnickerlaus
05-19-2016, 04:29 PM
only just seen this thread, is it too late to get another for the uk?

dirkbonn
05-19-2016, 05:15 PM
That's why it's a pleasure to do business with DSE. I've waited over 6 years for this product, another couple of days or weeks, is a drop in the bucket for a first class piece. Which, without a doubt, these Viper close out panels will be.
Thanks Doug.

Ninjazx71
05-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Thanks Doug! Some companies would have just shipped them without a second thought. Appreciate your mentality of only sending out a product you would be happy to have installed on your own vehicle. A little more time is worth it!

SSGNRDZ_28
05-20-2016, 05:44 AM
only just seen this thread, is it too late to get another for the uk?
Not too late to get one, are you near Baz / sssamm? PM or email if you can. Thanks

sssammm
05-20-2016, 07:53 AM
Stick it in the box with ours

VIPER BAZ UK
05-20-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm fine with that...... makes sense to do one shipment ...

shnickerlaus
05-21-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm not too far from Sam

BRACR
05-22-2016, 03:05 AM
Damn........I will give you a call Monday. I already brought from you.

SSGNRDZ_28
05-24-2016, 10:32 AM
Several coats of clear / wet sanding and we are close to shipping...

SSGNRDZ_28
05-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Some of these shipped yesterday, hopefully more soon.

Here are some photos of the standard panel installed.

Ninjazx71
05-25-2016, 10:01 AM
Looks awesome Doug!

Steve M
05-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Hot damn that looks nice...that standard panel has nice, clean lines.

Steve M
05-26-2016, 05:08 PM
Just got my panel in the mail today...all I can say is holy shit, this thing is beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice. I'll probably get it fitted this weekend and get some pics.

quickster2
05-26-2016, 06:07 PM
Did you ever further investigate "plugs" for the Ram Air version or get any temperature reduction data with this version?

Thanks in advance

fuggles
05-26-2016, 09:20 PM
I received mine today also. Beautiful piece. Too bad no one can see it but me. I will have to leave my hood up more often. :)
Installation was easy. Fits like a glove. Thanks for a high quality part.

SSGNRDZ_28
05-27-2016, 05:16 AM
Just got my panel in the mail today...all I can say is holy shit, this thing is beautiful. Pictures don't do it justice. I'll probably get it fitted this weekend and get some pics.

I received mine today also. Beautiful piece. Too bad no one can see it but me. I will have to leave my hood up more often. :)
Installation was easy. Fits like a glove. Thanks for a high quality part.

Thank you, guys.

Did you ever further investigate "plugs" for the Ram Air version or get any temperature reduction data with this version?

Thanks in advance

I haven't had time but have a few ideas. Will try to catch up on it next month.

dirkbonn
05-27-2016, 02:47 PM
I'd definitely be interested in some snap in rubber plugs for the "ram air" holes. Much more professional looking than duct tape.
Update my "definate interest" to "I'll purchase a pair".

ACRucrazy
05-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Hope to have mine before Viper Rendezvous in June!

SSGNRDZ_28
05-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Hope to have mine before Viper Rendezvous in June!
Should be there tomorrow.

BRACR
05-29-2016, 11:45 AM
Do you still have any? This past week has been a mess for me. PM me.....or I will email you Tuesday.

VIPER BAZ UK
05-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Looking forward to the UK batch arriving...

Mr. Bill
05-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Any pics of this installed on a 3rd gen car?

SSGNRDZ_28
05-31-2016, 06:44 AM
Do you still have any? This past week has been a mess for me. PM me.....or I will email you Tuesday.

I do not have any currently available but will hopefully be shipping more toward the end of June.

SSGNRDZ_28
05-31-2016, 06:45 AM
Any pics of this installed on a 3rd gen car?

Not yet but hopefully RDV-001 will share when his arrives.

Mr. Bill
05-31-2016, 08:47 AM
Not yet but hopefully RDV-001 will share when his arrives.

I went ahead and ordered one......ship it out and I'll provide pics ASAP. :smilielol:

ca_viper
05-31-2016, 02:05 PM
Does this mean people that ordered before May 19th are getting theirs now? Or are we going to have to wait? Just checking because I got a shipping number, but nothing shows shipped. thanks.

SSGNRDZ_28
05-31-2016, 02:11 PM
Does this mean people that ordered before May 19th are getting theirs now? Or are we going to have to wait? Just checking because I got a shipping number, but nothing shows shipped. thanks.

I have 5 more pending shipment, if you have a tracking number it will ship soon. The remainder will be several weeks out.

pony23
05-31-2016, 08:15 PM
Part looks fantastic. Been lurking this thread for a while. Pulled the trigger and just ordered mine.

RDV-001
06-11-2016, 02:52 PM
As promissed some pics of the closout panel on my 06 roadster. My car is a crystal slate pearl and the carbon goes perfectly with that color.

Roland

Mr. Bill
06-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Nice! How was he install and the fit?

SSGNRDZ_28
06-23-2016, 11:57 AM
For those interested in a ram air blockoff panel as an alternative to tape...

I've been looking into several options, hoping to find a cheap, off the shelf, solution that would be track worthy. Not surprisingly I've had to fall back on designing my own solution. Custom anodized aluminum clamping plate with the heat shield thumb screw and foam to protect the top side carbon finish. I realize this is not the cheapest answer (that would be tape), but I will not make any profit on these if they are produced. The cost would be ~$110-$125 for the 6 piece kit depending on how many are interested. Let me know and I will finalize the design and get them produced if there is enough interest.

The second batch of panels is well underway, hopefully I will have updates soon.

Thanks,
Doug

fuggles
06-23-2016, 09:50 PM
Would we have to take off the carbon panel to put in these new ram air block off panels? I'm guessing yes.

SSGNRDZ_28
06-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Would we have to take off the carbon panel to put in these new ram air block off panels? I'm guessing yes.

No they would be removable with the panel in place.

fuggles
06-23-2016, 10:41 PM
Cool. Thanks. I am in for a set.

dirkbonn
06-25-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm in for a set.

shnickerlaus
07-18-2016, 12:36 PM

Just installed mine and it looks great thanks again for shipping to the uk.

SSGNRDZ_28
07-19-2016, 10:52 AM
All who have placed orders, your closeout panels have now shipped. I have several more in stock for immediate shipment.

Gen III owners, there is some chance of contact with the hood due to the depth of the Gen III hood vents. This was not noted on the prototypes just due to slight variances in thickness and car-to-car variation. Please contact me for more information if you are interested.

Doug

SSGNRDZ_28
07-19-2016, 01:38 PM
Gen III owners:

There is a chance of contact with the hood due to the deeper vents and car-to-car variance. Felt or similar tape would prevent damage to the surfaces but that is a solution that understandably may not be for everyone. If a Gen III has a Gen IV hood there is no issue. This contact is within measurement error, which is why it was not noticed until post production. A Gen III was not readily available for laser scanning. The contact can vary car-to-car and if there is contact the vibrations of running can scuff the clear coat without the use of tape / foam / etc.

Here is one owner's solution:

04 mamba
07-19-2016, 02:41 PM
I'm in for a set of close outs plugs