Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

DSE Gen III / IV Closeout Panel

As some of you are aware I’ve been working for a while on a closeout panel design since it was requested to have a cheaper solution than the Arrow version and also one that is compatible with the Gen III. The original intent was to fabricate an aluminum part. As the details of the necessary design played out it was clear that carbon fiber would be a cheaper and easier to manufacture part than aluminum (surprisingly!)

For development of this part the car was laser scanned, we fabricated an aluminum prototype, and now have two rapid prototype options. The first option is flat, the second option incorporates holes that feed into the hood ducts to promote the “ram air” effect.

The original idea was that blockers could be used depending on the track / ambient temps / etc. to adjust the ratio of engine temp reduction to “ram air” effect.The downside of the version with vents/holes is a bit more cost, especially if we get into adding blockers to adjust the airflow. It also wouldn’t look as clean with the blockers on there but I think it looks cool as is. Without blockers the engine temp cooling effect will be less, but I can’t quantify that with our current weather conditions.

If you’re interested in this let me know and also which version you’d like to see. The design should fit the Gen III and IV. Let me know which version you’d be interested in.

Cost is estimated to be $425 for the simple version, and it would go up a bit for the adjustable version. My thought is maybe the simple version is best just to keep cost down, which was the original goal.

Since I need to invest in a carbon mold I’ll need to get some good response to bring the product to market.

12400518_929986323715838_3292209245818817426_n.jpg12510467_929986330382504_252191809094224798_n.jpg12507181_929986350382502_2937049473330666720_n.jpg6868_929986360382501_3371191317474872924_n.jpgCloseout Panel.jpg

Thanks
    Doug

In but unspecified:
    - slowhatch
    - VIPER BAZ UK
    - 01sapphirebob

Ram Air Version:
    - ACRucrazy
    - fuggles
    - Ninjazx71
    - DEMO MAN
    - Slithr
    - RDV-001
    - J TNT
    - cubican
    - ca_viper
    - Redx
    - sssammm
    - Steve M
    - fastmd
    - Revolution

Flat Version:
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Last edited by SSGNRDZ_28; 02-15-2016 at 07:02 AM.

Enthusiast
    More photos. Does the Gen III hood have ducts like this?12631531_929988163715654_3250267788965081176_n.jpgIMG_6906.jpgIMG_6896.jpg

I think I'd be down for a ram air version. Hoping the hood doesn't rub on it like the Arrow panel.
    Last edited by ACRucrazy; 01-22-2016 at 09:50 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    I think I'd be down for a ram air version. Hoping the book doesn't rub on it like the Arrow panel.
    The design of this one is different, there is no place it contacts the hood so it shouldn't rub anywhere.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGNRDZ_28 View Post
    The design of this one is different, there is no place it contacts the hood so it shouldn't rub anywhere.
    You do some great work there Doug! Your design looks a better than Arrow's for sure. Here is a shot of the Arrow for those wondering the differences. I would buy one of yours if I needed it. Wouldn't it just be cheaper for you to go with one mold though?

Nice! The ram air version seems ideal as that's how the hood was originally designed to pull air in from in front of the radiator. If someone wants a carbon flat version that blocks that off, the Arrow is already available.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    Nice! The ram air version seems ideal as that's how the hood was originally designed to pull air in from in front of the radiator. If someone wants a carbon flat version that blocks that off, the Arrow is already available.
    Not sure how "available" these are from Arrow. Assuredly VOA members will get better service from Doug than they ever will from Arrow on these kinds of products though.

Enthusiast
    Really nice work. I'm down for a ram air version.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FrgMstr View Post
    You do some great work there Doug! Your design looks a better than Arrow's for sure. Here is a shot of the Arrow for those wondering the differences. I would buy one of yours if I needed it. Wouldn't it just be cheaper for you to go with one mold though?

Thanks!

Yes I am only going with one mold. If there is enough interest in the ram air version I will go that route. Might be an option to block that off or for it to come without holes for those who are more interested in max cooling instead of ram air.

So if you want the ram air version let me know if you'd care about closing off the holes (or if tape would be good enough for the track).

Ram Air Version:
    - ACRucrazy
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Flat Version:
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Enthusiast
    I'd be down for one of the ram air style... I'd think that tape would be sufficient for those concerned about this at the track, but I'm not a track rat either so I don't know if that's true for everyone. I'll definitely pick one up either way, but would prefer the ram air style...

I would be interested in the ram air version. Are the hood openings the same on Gen 3 and 4?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DEMO MAN View Post
    I would be interested in the ram air version. Are the hood openings the same on Gen 3 and 4?
    Looking at photos the Gen III openings are larger than the Gen IV.

Looking at photos the Gen III openings are larger than the Gen IV.
    For some reason I remember my Gen 3 being smaller than my Gen 4 but I will point out I'm old and don't have a memory anymore. Would you have 2 versions of the ram air panel?

Enthusiast
    What is the big difference in RAM air and the normal closed panel? I see it has to do with cooling but how?

R.

Quote Originally Posted by RDV-001 View Post
    What is the big difference in RAM air and the normal closed panel? I see it has to do with cooling but how?

R.
    If you look at your hood when its open, there are holes in the side front corners like Doug pictured. My understanding is these pull air from in front of the radiator, and feed it to the air box.

Airflow -> in lower grill opening -> into hood on the side openings in front of radiator -> through hood and out the center opening -> into airbox.

If you put a flat panel in there, you block off that airflow and rely on the airflow coming in the center vent on the outside of the hood and whatever the side hood openings pull from the warm engine bay.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RDV-001 View Post

R.
    The closeout panel forces air through the radiator instead of up and around for cooler engine temps on the track. By allowing some of that air to go back through the hood into the intake the extra cooling effects are reduced (but some extra power is probably gained at speed). It is a give and take directing the air that comes in the front grille to be used in different ways.

I didn't really care about the looks of that area before but I think it will look really nice to have it closed off.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DEMO MAN View Post
    For some reason I remember my Gen 3 being smaller than my Gen 4 but I will point out I'm old and don't have a memory anymore. Would you have 2 versions of the ram air panel?
    No I don't think it is necessary to have two designs, the point is to have some flow but also direct flow through the radiators so I think a common design will be sufficient and also more cost effective.

It will take around 25 units sold to break even on the carbon mold and prototyping expense.

Enthusiast
    I can attest that the Arrow panel dropped my summer operating temps here in Texas, by about 5 to 7F IIRC (sorry, it has been a few years). I have no doubt that Doug's will do the same. These are worth every penny IMO. Get one! I like the look of Doug's better than Arrow's, and Arrow's does have some spots on it that rubs the hood and gets scratched up. That is actually how I got mine used. The guy did not like the scratches. I threw down some electrical tape and called it a day, but I am a redneck like that. Doug's design looks like it will eliminate that aesthetic issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FrgMstr View Post
    I can attest that the Arrow panel dropped my summer operating temps here in Texas, by about 5 to 7F IIRC (sorry, it has been a few years). I have no doubt that Doug's will do the same. These are worth every penny IMO. Get one! I like the look of Doug's better than Arrow's, and Arrow's does have some spots on it that rubs the hood and gets scratched up. That is actually how I got mine used. The guy did not like the scratches. I threw down some electrical tape and called it a day, but I am a redneck like that. Doug's design looks like it will eliminate that aesthetic issue.
    LOL

Enthusiast
    The closeout panel forces air through the radiator instead of up and around for cooler engine temps on the track. By allowing some of that air to go back through the hood into the intake the extra cooling effects are reduced (but some extra power is probably gained at speed). It is a give and take directing the air that comes in the front grille to be used in different ways.

I didn't really care about the looks of that area before but I think it will look really nice to have it closed off.
    I would suggest that the power "gain" with the ram air design because of a bit of extra pressure, is so minimal that you would likely be better power-wise going with the NON-ram air design as you are not flowing hotter air into the intake. Which I think is exactly what Arrow had in mind with its design.

The "ram air" design sound much more awesome, but I am not sure it is actually more beneficial in the end when it comes to power, or Arrow would have likely designed it that way. Of course all this is just talk and no real way of measuring it outside of having a wind tunnel with a dyno. Can you get that on your equipment list over there Doug?

Your thoughts Doug? You have obviously put a lot of time into this.
    Last edited by FrgMstr; 01-22-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Enthusiast
    When moving the "ram air" should be fresh, cool air because it comes from the front of the radiator. Of course I need to put the skiis and chains on to test that now but that is where the hood ducts are located.

Enthusiast
    Doug, nice work!

I'd be interested in a CF ram air version for my Gen III, as long as there was no rubbing.

Looks like Frog and myself are having the same Arrow rub issue on our Gen IV's. I just might replace mine further down the road, it's only cosmetic.

Enthusiast
    The Arrow panel will always rub there because that rubber strip contacts the hood when it is closed. So the Arrow panel is sandwiched between the two and always making contact. This design tucks in under the rubber strip instead of going over it.

Enthusiast
    I'm in for one, but I can't decide between the ram air version vs. the closed version. Until today, I never noticed those holes in the hood...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast