PDA

View Full Version : Running for Regional President of Western Canada

RTTTTed
01-11-2016, 05:35 PM
I've been nominated and accepted that for regional WC president of the VOA.

I joined the VCA years ago and when that club went down I joined the VOA.

I've owned 4 Vipers and been into cars all my life. I spent 10 years building show and Go cars and finally built a trucking company. The only consistent things in my life have been family and cars. With help from a few friends I have two websites. thevipergarage.com and an ezine for my magazine articles at vipernationinternational Interested in running an event such as the Mojave Mile or the sscc there are stories with tips on how to prep your car and what to expect if you go to run these world famous events on the ezine. Wondering what modifications you need for a supercharger or how much you can get with a Twin Turbo system? Find that and many articles on How To actually do modifications to your Viper. Find $1100 Viper power steering pumps for under $200 on the VG site.

I currently own a Roe Racing blower equipped 2001 GTS and a 1999 Twin Turbo GTS. 700 to 1500+whp in these cars. I simply can't leave my cars alone and have modified nearly everything on these. I compete on a regular basis although Canada doesn't offer much for competition I've dragged and run the various competitions of RacetheBase as well as a Road Rally in Canada.

I run international events (as do many of our members) and have drag raced and roll raced in the states. sscc is a favourite that I brought home 7 trophies from. Mojave Mile (3rd fastest) was fun as was Spokane and Bremeton "Pacific Northwest Street Car Challenge" (where I finished 2nd and 3rd fastest). In April this spring I'm booked for the Mexican Open Road Rally with a friend from Bakersfield. I've been invited to Spokane at the end of May and will hopefully be hosting a 1/3 mile Roll race at my local airport sometime this summer. I also plan to run one or the other car at Prince George drag strip to test and tune. I am hoping to run my car at Bonneville this summer if the opportunity arises.

As much as my wife and I have enjoyed the wine tours and other Viper Club events (many of these events are articles at vipernationinternational.com I would like to host a few competition events and join with the Washington VOA for an event or two in their area. The VOA sends money for regions to help pay for some of the expenses incurred hosting these events. It would be great to have 15 Vipers or even small groups to come out and enjoy friendly competition as well as cruising around the beautiful scenery of Western Canada.

darbgnik
01-12-2016, 02:24 AM
Any idea on the members spread from AB vs BC for this region?

Baked
01-12-2016, 09:55 AM
We are almost split 50/50 between AB and BC members. We also have a few from Saskatchewan and one from Manitoba.

Fireball36
01-15-2016, 11:05 PM
Nice! This is a change that I can support.

Question, are there enough members in Alberta and BC that there could be 2 regions? I've contributed to the club by organizing events but things just didn't work out. The events were excellent, I just think it was an Alberta / BC thing, I really don't know.

I made some great friends out of those events - Right Darbgnik?

Greg Phillips

Viktimize
01-15-2016, 11:09 PM

Question, are there enough members in Alberta and BC that there could be 2 regions? I've contributed to the club by organizing events but things just didn't work out. The events were excellent, I just think it was an Alberta / BC thing, I really don't know.

Greg Phillips

I'm the only one on the ballot for event planner this term. I know you're more of a track guy, so I'd love to pick your brain on how to possibly get some small track events together in the future. It's unfortunate that track events don't draw much attendance, but I know there are members that appreciate them, so I would like to have a little something for everyone through the year to get as many members involved in the club as possible.

darbgnik
01-15-2016, 11:20 PM

Greg Phillips

Yup, the old VCA was where we met, at that track event you put together. You're the one who got me into this whole mess in the first place!

If Teds ideas are to go more in that direction, I'd be all for it. Also, an all Viper track day was an awesome introduction to the track. You can leave defending Dodge's honor at the gate, and focus on having fun, and learning that the car's more capable than 50 km/h over the limit trips onto an offramp.

And while I am not too sure we have to numbers to split up the regions, I do think we could try to make something exciting available in both areas. I mean, driving all the way to Kelowna in a Viper isn't my idea of quality time with the car, and to be honest, I've done the vineyard cruising thing in a RAV4 rental. I think doing that, if you live close by, is a great way for guys to get together, but it's hardly worth days and effort for guys nowhere close. Now a track event in BC, I could see myself doing........

Fireball36
01-16-2016, 07:13 PM
Things are looking good!
Unfortunately track time is very difficult to come by, and it's expensive. I just signed a deal for several 2016 track days yesterday.
I'll be honest - I really feel like I got crapped on by the 'Kelowna club' so I'm hesitant to help. Instead of continuing to organize the Alberta Viper Event I've been putting together the largest Hummer Club event in the world for the past 3 years and I also run the Calgary Exotic Auto Group. The Exotics involve several track days and about 10 social events a year - I organize everything, so I really don't have time to help with the Viper community much.

But I'll help where I can.
Private message me and I can share info about the track in Edmonton, and some great places in Alberta to do a drive. I did do 2 Alberta Viper Events (and was mostly finished the third before I was shut down) and each one involved a cool drive in the country. So I have some routes. At least one was sweet enough to be exactly copied.
Anyway, my axe is ground - I'll help where I can.

Greg

Asp Man
01-17-2016, 12:00 PM
Things are looking good!
Unfortunately track time is very difficult to come by, and it's expensive. I just signed a deal for several 2016 track days yesterday.
I'll be honest - I really feel like I got crapped on by the 'Kelowna club' so I'm hesitant to help. Instead of continuing to organize the Alberta Viper Event I've been putting together the largest Hummer Club event in the world for the past 3 years and I also run the Calgary Exotic Auto Group. The Exotics involve several track days and about 10 social events a year - I organize everything, so I really don't have time to help with the Viper community much.

But I'll help where I can.
Private message me and I can share info about the track in Edmonton, and some great places in Alberta to do a drive. I did do 2 Alberta Viper Events (and was mostly finished the third before I was shut down) and each one involved a cool drive in the country. So I have some routes. At least one was sweet enough to be exactly copied.
Anyway, my axe is ground - I'll help where I can.

Greg

Really? I take exception to the statement of being "crapped on". Shut down? What does that mean? Maybe I've been cut out of that loop? I certainly had no hand in shutting down any event. Event planning is the most difficult thing about this club and anyone who takes it upon themselves to do so is to be congratulated. That said, there is always help available when your event needs it, and always has been, you need only to ask. Publicising your personal feelings about club matters here, without trying to resolve them in a civil way, really surprises me. My apologies, I guess I had the wrong impression of you.
If it's a matter of not getting reimbursed for expenses, I'm sure the matter could be resolved.
BTW, you need to be a member in good standing to vote, today being the last day to do so.

For those who wonder, I do think that there are enough members in AB to support their own region, it's been talked about for years and I brought the matter up back in 2007 while living in Calgary, but no one in AB has since expressed an interest in taking the time to do it. Directors in the region volunteer their time, it's not a huge commitment, but it is more than a lot of people can seem to spare, and perhaps that is what's been keeping someone from stepping up. It has been the most vocal of the malcontented members who seem to neither have the time, or inclination, to take on the responsibility.

It has been my experience over the last ten years that you get out of this club what you put into it.

All that needs to be done is to put together a business case for the "split" and come up with a board of directors. Any takers?

RTTTTed
01-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Jim is continuing as president for the VOA.

I tried to gather VOA members to do some track time. PG drags, Spokane, Rally, Wash AutoX,Mile and half mile events. Only 3 guys from Prince George came out. Washington does several track days at Pacific Tacoma etc. It is unfortunate but I haven't done a Viper Club track day in Cda since Revelstoke Hill Climb and Craigs AutoX. Darryl did Bonneville a few times.

The kelowna Wine Tours were fun but last time I tried there was no hotel rooms available so I didn't make the 10 hr drive.

I usually post on the VOA facebook page when I head out racing. Be happy to have friends come along. Planning to run Shift Sector (World's Fastest Halfmile) event next year. I was going to try it out on last summer, but one of the vendors screwed me on my brake parts so I didn't get to make it. I have all the brakes on my TT upgraded now and working on several upgrades for next spring. Spokane Street Car Challenge end of May. I'll be entering the Mexican Open Road Rally next April and will post how much fun that is when I get back.

Lots of competition happening at the Wash VOA if you guys want to call them up. I run with them quite often. 14 hrs to get there for me but it's always a blast.

PaulP
01-17-2016, 10:50 PM
We are almost split 50/50 between AB and BC members. We also have a few from Saskatchewan and one from Manitoba.

If where split or so close to 50/50 why not have two western regional groups ?? It would be nice to go to alberta but the minimum drive time for the bc guys is 8hrs to 15 hrs, not all viper owners want to travel that far in there vipers and as is for the alberta guys traveling to bc, i see nothing wrong with having two western canada regions. We need more events that involve Track time laps etc, also 1/4 mile tracks, also roll racing, not tea parties and dinners imo.

darbgnik
01-18-2016, 02:13 AM
If where split or so close to 50/50 why not have two western regional groups ?? It would be nice to go to alberta but the minimum drive time for the bc guys is 8hrs to 15 hrs, not all viper owners want to travel that far in there vipers and as is for the alberta guys traveling to bc, i see nothing wrong with having two western canada regions. We need more events that involve Track time laps etc, also 1/4 mile tracks, also roll racing, not tea parties and dinners imo.

Haha, glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. BC has much nicer scenery, and I still can't imagine driving there. Driving to Alberta from BC has got to seem like an even worse idea. No bueno! I basically fly everywhere, even if it's only a few hundred kms away, unless I take my cars to the track, or my Hummer to Moab. Hard to get those into carry-on.

I could be coaxed into a dinner or tea party however, if it was after we did something cool!

Viktimize
01-18-2016, 02:20 AM
Personally I am just fine with the region covering the area that it does. I am an Alberta guy myself, so I would love to see us get together for more events here close to home. No reason we can't do that, and also maintain the great events that go on in BC as well. I enjoy the road trips and the track events equally, but track events are really hard to get done. They are very expensive if you can even find a day to reserve a track, and then very few members show up to them. We had Stratotech rented here a couple years ago, but only like 6 cars came and then a handful of guys not even driving Vipers showed up. It was a great time had by all, but it is a big financial burden to put on the club or someone personally when we cannot guarantee a certain number for attendance. Even a day of Auto-X in a parking lot somewhere would be a lot of fun, that might be feasible to put together and not have to worry about attendance numbers.

My PM box is wide open should anyone have ideas to put forward. The club is meant to be enjoyed by all so tell us what you want. In Alberta it is really easy for a bunch of us to get together at Street Legals on a Friday, or do a quick half day cruise somewhere, without making it a huge sanctioned club event. It is my goal to see groups getting together a lot more often than the few long weekends we get in our short summer.

Fireball36
01-18-2016, 01:28 PM
I planned the First Annual Alberta Viper Event.
It involved a road trip with a historic guide, group hotel booking, dyno sessions, welcome dinner, track time and driving school at Race City, BBQ, awards dinner.... plus some other things. I don't recall the amount but the club contribution was just about $200 (if I remember correctly - for BBQ food). Overall, we had a decent turnout - not too bad for a first year event. Not everyone attended every part of the 3 day event.

Then I planned the Second Annual Alberta Viper Event.
It involved a road trip again with an historic guide, group hotel booking, dyno sessions, welcome dinner, track time and school at Race City, BBQ, awards dinner.... plus other things. I don't recall the amount but the club contribution was just over $100 (if I remember correctly - to pay for burgers etc. for the BBQ). We had an even better turnout, it was growing.

Then I was well underway planning the Third Annual Alberta Viper Event. The event had grown from year 1 to year 2 so I was hoping for further growth.
I booked track time, dyno time, made group bookings at a local hotel, I did pre-runs on our road trip route and wrote a new historical guide - I was doing well. Then I was told that the event couldn't be on the date that I had arranged everything for. It had to be moved to a date when I wasn't even in Alberta. Why? I understand it was so someone from BC could double up with a wedding in Alberta. Additionally, I understand someone wanted to spread out the events in some fashion.

I clearly remember the conversation. I was told I 'had no choice'. I said I did. Turns out I was right. I stopped, cancelled everything I'd booked and left the club. I used the new historic guide to do a driving event for Ferrari. Someone kindly lent me a Ferrari California for the day. Nice. Since then I've been putting my efforts into The Calgary Exotic Auto Group and The Hummer Club Inc. Both have been exceptionally successful.

---------------------------------
Anyway, I just don't care anymore but I'm not particularly interested in organizing anything Viper related, but I will help with information where I can. I'm pretty busy organizing events for others now.

I can say this, a track event is highly unlikely anymore. I'm well informed about track events and I just don't see one happening. The very unique opportunity we had in Alberta has now ended. Same with a 'dyno day', which was a ton of fun!

I wish everyone well and I think Ted would make an excellent Regional President.

Greg

Turk
01-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Viktimize I think we should attempt to look at doing an Autocross event this year. Since, like Fireball said, it's almost impossible to get track time, and when you do, you really need at least 20 people to make it worth it. Too bad Castrol is so expensive to rent, maybe I'll try doing some Track Junkies events this year.

RTTTTed
01-18-2016, 02:17 PM
Thanks Greg. Your event was great and I am disappointed that I missed it. Having your friend shooting track action pics was an excellent idea. After all my efforts I have only a couple pics of my car in competition. I probably have more pics of other people`s car than my own LOL. And the purpose of the club was to sponsor the forums, paperwork and provide an organization for Viper Owners to participate, learn their cars, gather information on repairs, mods, parts (stock and aftermarket), etc. 50% of the money sent to national goes back to the Region and (correct me if I`m wrong Craig) National provides extra money for all events.

Just the $100 YOU spent on each picture, the time you spent arranging everything and the other money`s you sponsored were `beyond`what is called for by an upstanding member of a club. Although I wasn`t there I respect what you did. I was also disappointed with the theft of our first club by criminals.

I helped ex members Don Campbell and Louie host the Barkerville parade and cruise where everyone had a great time and some Alberta members attended. I wrote an ezine on that, but not allowed to post any other website links I was informed so you have to PM me for links to my Viper ezine website if you`re interested. Jim was there so the club paid for a few meals for everyone. I canvased the Chrysler dealerships and broughr a box of door prizes as well as some famous `Viper trinkets`made and donated by Timbo!

I posted 3 Prince George Friday Night drags and 3 local members showed up. Nothing from the club although $100 would have covered our Boston Pizza dinner after the drags. I`ve been competing in the states at Pacific Northwest Street Car Challenge while doing the modifications to my TT. No other VOA members attended although Clint (Wash VOA) was the one that invited me before he got moved to the east coast for summer work. I tried to attend Shift Sector (World`s Fastest Halfmile) and may have won n the RWD clutched class except a Viper Race Car builder did false advertising and I spent 2 months waiting for the proper brake parts and trying to find SS brake lines at a reasonable price (bad mistake).

I offered a magazine article to Maurice for the Viper Quarterly but after asking me to rewrite it his way 3 times I see that it never got used.

Jim was re-elected so On with the dinner parties! My wife enjoyed the wine tours (I don`t drink) because she doesn`t enjoy the car or competition. She likes social and travelling.

I have NOT attended a VOA event except for Washington AutoX. Wash VOA regularily rents Pacific Raceway, airports for the National AutoX competition and has competitors they send to the national events. Next year I think I may join the Washington VOA instead. Although it is a 14 hour drive to Spokane, Bremerton or Tacoma, they do have fun. They also host a Christmas party. I had spoken to Herb Helbig (the Grail Keeper) and he agreed that if the club bought him a plane ticket and a Hotel room he`d be happy to come to Western Canada and attend an event, tell us some stories and hissstory. Although our club never took advantage of this opportunity, I also told Washington VCA and they DID have Herb come to Seattle and attend their Christmas party. Another event I regret that I missed.

BUT, if I join the Wash VOA I can go racing, visit my buds down there, hang with 800hp & 1400whp Vipers, spend time competing with the fastest Halfmile cars in the world. The time I spent at Spokane and Bremerton allowed me to meet RPM rollbars owner and when he requested a Gen 2 Viper to pattern a 6 point rollbar kit ... I drove for 3 days twice and now have a `FREE`rollbar custom made for us with opening and removable sidebars. That also means that YOU can order a 6 point rollbar that will seem to disappear when the sidebars are removed. (sorry, you`d need to PM for a link).

Fireball36
01-18-2016, 03:08 PM
HAHA! Yes, I personally hired a photographer and I made sure that everyone that attended the track portion of the event received an on track picture. I even paid for the prints. Anyway, it was all a good time. One wonders what would've become of the Alberta Viper Event had I continued? I'm sure it would've become something special. I know the Hummer Club event has become legend in the Hummer community. I've been working on it this last week. It's coming along nicely.

Hey Ted, did you know I ran 230.7mph at the Texas Mile? In a supercharged Ford GT. The Ford guys tell me it's a record for a supercharged street car in the standing mile. I was just a hired driver - not my car.

Anyone that's interested in track time at Castrol - with a group that's suitable for nice cars and is easily the most fun track group out there - just message me. At least for the beginning of the 2016 season the Calgary Exotic Auto Group has a couple of spots available. It sells out every year though.

FWIW, my Viper is still completely stock. I love the thing.

Greg

RTTTTed
01-18-2016, 03:17 PM
That FGT of Dom`s? Congratulations!

Fastest Gas powered Viper there was Ballista of A. R. T. that built my TT GTS. His car ran 240.7mph at 1800whp.
He sent me the info to upgrade mine several hundred hp from it`s current 1500whp. I also bought a sheet metal tunnelram and can now run 15 x 31 x 15: wrinkle slicks. Shift Sector is in middleton Oregon in the fall (Sept) and it`s the World`s Fastest Halfmile. It`d be great for you to come. I didn`t get a chance to run Dom`s FGT or his Supra at RacetheBase ... Grudge match?

Fireball36
01-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Yep. Dom's GT. Was that Texas Viper turbo or supercharged?

Since I don't own the car I don't get to decide which event I attend - but I have been asked to run it again. It'll have WAY MORE power. I have to say - that 230.7 run was SCARY as hell......

Greg

RTTTTed
01-18-2016, 05:29 PM
I know the feeling. I`ve only been running my TT at 1000whp and it`scary. Can only be controlled with wrinkle slicks as the Road race slick spin like nothing. I`ll be installing a Motec and tuning for the big hp.

Ballista is a TT 2006 Viper coupe.

Fireball36
01-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Ya, turbos are a little bit faster. We were running 1800 crank hp this year but had fuel issues and only made 205mph at 32% throttle.
I'm not sure about wrinkle slicks..... Are they stable for the length of time a mile needs? Good in the 1/4 - but the mile is a different beast. Different gearing.... Tires..... They run at speed for a long time!

darbgnik
01-18-2016, 06:29 PM
First time this sub forum has been this interesting I think?

RTTTTed
01-18-2016, 07:00 PM
OK, mis key and I'll have to start over again!

Turbos are much faster, but they are uncontrollable power. Once the engine hit rpm or boost say goodbye to part throttle. Full on or full off. LOL, I ran Ecstasa's at Spokane and they spin through third with only 10 psi boost. I tried to apply throttle slowly and when I couldn't get the wheel hop under control the engine shut down from NO throttle. Tried it 3times. It was either full on, off or over revving no control at all. Ran 11.4@144mph. Roll on in a 1/3 was 9.3@163mph still with tons of spin, but no wheelhopping.

Bremerton I bolted on my slicks (they rub through the plastic wheel tubs on Gen 1/2 Vipers) and was in 6th gear through the quarter mile (my GForce uses a .75ratio) I was well up into 6th in the roll race with the 28" Hoosiers. Unfortunately they didn't have the timers at that Street race. Still spun tires and over revved in first and second tho. I was running with a 1080whp Mustang and a TT + 150hp Nitrous C5 vette. I was equal to the vette but each time I lifted to shift he pulled a couple feet. Going to try running on the rev limiter when shifting next time. Nearly everybody runs automatic now. I was running 10psi

Before I mis key and lose it ...

RTTTTed
01-18-2016, 07:07 PM
I've cut and welded the frame in the rear wheelwells and reshaped the firewall as well as heated and reshaped the plastic tubs of my TT. I chopped and installed Wilwwod 4 piston 12.2 rear brakes so that I can run the 305 x 60 x 15" drag radials that are needed with the big power. I wrote a How To on my website if anyone needs to know the work or part numbers.

For the mile I called Goodyear and Hoosier and they told me that none of the road racing tires are meant to go over 200mph including the R6s AND the R1 tires. I think the comments are/were to escape liability in case of a crash. At SSCC all of the crashes have been attributed to tire failure. My Bonneville tires are rated to 475mph and the 30" tall tires I bought have gone that fast already.

Madmav
01-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Hey fireball, did you have dates for castrol with Calgary exotics. I love track junkies but it would be sweet to be around some nicer cars at the track, and what does it take to get in on that ? Thanks

Fireball36
01-19-2016, 01:04 AM
I do have dates. Our model is an annual membership, and last years members get first shot at the available spaces in the group. We haven't announced our calendar yet......
I expect we'll have a few spaces available though.

Our events are very different than Track Junkies, our track is open all day. Go on and off the track whenever you want. Stay out, stay in - all day, whatever you want. No run groups. We also have a nice selection of social events.

If you've done Track Junkies events you'd be perfect for our group! BTW, we make no money running the group (I do it with my best friend) - it's completely volunteer so the membership cost is amazing.
If you drive like an idiot we'll kick you out of the group. We'll talk first and warn you... Keep driving like an idiot and you're out. Because of that - our group is idiot free. It's a very safe group.
E-mail me at Greg.phillips@shaw.ca and I'll get you on our invite list.

Did Ted win the election?

Greg

Fireball36
01-19-2016, 01:05 AM
Hey Ted. Is there any Viper left in your car?
It sounds WICKED! I hope to see it one day.

Greg

darbgnik
01-19-2016, 01:16 AM
You have dates? And I'm just hearing about this now????

Lol, it doesn't matter what the dates are! Cya there!

Fireball36
01-19-2016, 11:34 AM
Settle down Darbgnik!

I negotiated our track contract late last week - I wrote our membership invite message on the weekend but I won't sign the track contract until tonight. So we won't get the message out until later this week.

You did get the party invite, right?

I can really piss you off - I have the Hummer Club dates too! HA HA! Hopefully I'll get that out next week.

I took my Hummer off roading on the weekend - but damn, I'd love to take the Viper for a drive......

Back on topic.

Did Ted win?

G

Viktimize
01-19-2016, 02:39 PM
Did Ted win?

G

Jim will be serving another term as President.

RTTTTed
01-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Hey Ted. Is there any Viper left in your car?
It sounds WICKED! I hope to see it one day.

Greg

Well, the TT has mostly a stock body. I've modified the suspension but still have the original A arms. I added stiffener brackets to the Anti-toe mounts and modified the rear spindles for the brakes of both cars. poly sway bar bushings and alum steering box bushings, gussetted and welded frame on TT,etc. Alum rad. Building a water/air Intercooler system. I bought a FG hood with a 6" raise in the middle for the Mammoth Blower and intake I plan to run on the Sapphire GTS, but it's probably 80@ lighter and depending on how my flowbench research project goes on my new Mitech sheet metal intake manifold it may go onto the TT. That car came with a custom cabinet in back and 800w of stereo that I have "in case". But other than that, ummm, engine block, transmission case and most of the diff case are stock but modified. My Roe (Saoohire) has stock block, exh valves, valve covers, rods and mains, trans case, diff case, nearly all of the interior except the rollcage, stereo, gauges seat mount ... safety harnesses, shifter. Oh yah, I am moving the stock front brakes to the rear because the fronts are upgraded to 14" Rear diffusers, front fascia scoop and drilled cowl, tinted/filmed HID lights, filmed taillights but the rest of the body is stock. I guess Nitrous is not really Viper either?

The TT has 4" magnaflow mufflers with an X pipe at rear ... but I just removed that and built a set of straight side pipes and bought some Gen 1 side sills. It's pretty quiet unless you cruise at slower hwy speeds (50 - 80mph) then you get the drone.

The Roe Sapphire GTS has blower, headers, cat delete and track Corsa 3" Loud but aweome! whispering is audible" at hwy speeds. Wish I could get the TT to sound like my supercharged Viper. Corsa said they have nothing in 4".

In summary ... Both my Vipers look like Vipers but no, almost nothing left stock.

Fireball36
01-22-2016, 10:18 AM
I have to agree with Aspman 100%. Thank you for running down your so called "kelowna club", Greg Philips. I have been a "kelowna" member for 20 years and have hosted several successful events over the years, as well I served 3 terms as president. Jim Tait and Greg W, the other outlaws in the "kelowna club" have also put in repeat terms of office for the club & have also hosted great events. It is sad to have a non member spout off about the performance of our club & to run us down for trying to provide some enjoyable experiences for Viper owners.
Go crap on someone else! Better yet, pay to join the region & take on one of the executive positions......let your name stand next election.

I did step up. I planned events - large ones. I worked hard for the club. I was growing a sizable event and things were going well.
Then they (from Kelowna - I know exactly whom) told me I HAD to reschedule for a time I wasn't even in town. I can't plan an event for a time that I'm not even there, so I cancelled the Third Annual Alberta Viper Event. I left the club, didn't renew my membership and then I moved on to work for other clubs. Please don't tell me how I should feel about that, but I'm glad to see that you care.

I know what it takes to run events and it's wonderful that good people step up to run the club. These people should be lauded - you included. It is however, important to know who the club belongs to, it belongs to the members. It's not there to meet the needs of the executive - it's for the members. The fact is, The Annual Alberta Viper Event is over because one of the executives wanted to attend their daughters wedding in Alberta on the same trip.

For what it's worth, I really don't care what you think of me and I don't care that you've completely dismissed the work I did do for the club - but others may find that interesting.

I wish the club well, I offered assistance to organize track related things earlier in this thread and my offer stands. As far as the Viper Club goes, my efforts are going elsewhere now.

All the best,

Greg Phillips

darbgnik
01-22-2016, 07:12 PM
I have to agree with Aspman 100%. Thank you for running down your so called "kelowna club", Greg Philips. I have been a "kelowna" member for 20 years and have hosted several successful events over the years, as well I served 3 terms as president. Jim Tait and Greg W, the other outlaws in the "kelowna club" have also put in repeat terms of office for the club & have also hosted great events. It is sad to have a non member spout off about the performance of our club & to run us down for trying to provide some enjoyable experiences for Viper owners.
Go crap on someone else! Better yet, pay to join the region & take on one of the executive positions......let your name stand next election.

Well I paid to join this region, so I guess according to you, I'm more deserving to comment, so I will. Funny thing is, the pittance I contributed to be a member here doesn't hold a candle to the amount of value Greg added to this region. For the record, he was the reason I joined back when we were still in the VCA, and he was also the reason I left(in support). His events were the only ones worth attending on this side of the Rockies. Back then, same as now, I had no interest in driving a sports car for two full days to do what I could in a rental econobox, BC's beautiful scenery be damned.

I get to see first hand how much effort he puts into all his projects, with nothing in return. It's like some kind of sick self deprecating penance. Telling the truth isn't crapping on the club. If you don't like the truth, stick your head in the sand. And remember, when that person demanded the date of the event changed to suit himself, he didn't just screw Greg, he screwed me. Screwed me out of one of the very few track events open to me. But I'm sure nobody thought about that did they?

TA Two Oh
01-22-2016, 08:11 PM
"and he was also the reason that I left."

You mean that you left when he left; in support of him. Not because something he did annoyed you enough to make you leave... Correct?

darbgnik
01-22-2016, 08:15 PM
"and he was also the reason that I left."

You mean that you left when he left; in support of him. Not because something he did annoyed you enough to make you leave... Correct?

Haha, yes in support of, I wondered about that when I wrote it, but figured I could leave it, as most would catch my drift.

darbgnik
01-23-2016, 01:15 AM
Members have always been encouraged to organize/host events. Want one in your backyard so you don't have to drive to BC? Then organize an event!! It's a member driven club & run by volunteers. We have had events that us BC people organized IN ALBERTA!! Several over the years.....

Don't need to, Greg did, with another group, that I joined. I'm good, enjoy your dinners in the Okanagan. By the way, Banff and Jasper are barely Alberta........

Like I said, it takes a special kind of person to organize events, and I ain't that guy. This group had a guy like that in Alberta, but he left. Seems like the guys in this region that want to meet up are doing fine. I also wish Victor good luck in getting some events set up. Seems like he's really tried in the past.

Anyone else reading, especially all you other BC guys, keep in mind, I'm not downing anyone for organizing events there. I think it's a great thing. It definitely seems like you have an active group there. But to the guy I quoted above, come on, keep it real!

Fireball36
01-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Thank you for the support!

The Calgary Exotic Group will have about 15 events this year. 6 track days - not one dinner. Not a single meet up at a coffee shop. All car events. Right now I think we have 5 or 6 Vipers in the group. It's a great group and everything is really going well! Very friendly, no ego's - all about fun in your car. I'm very proud of what we've built with this group.

The economic conditions in Alberta will present a challenge but I think we'll be OK.
I wish the VOA well - it could be a tough year for everyone but I hope everyone has a great season in cars!

Greg

darbgnik
01-23-2016, 08:06 PM
Sorry but what do you mean by "keep it real"?!!! I don't think you understand that you get what you put into the club. Alberta members have always been encouraged to organize events.Not knocking ANYONE from Alberta but the major majorit. of event organizing came from BC members. And yes we did have events in Alberta. I was born in Edmonton and lived there for more than 30 years, I am quite sure Banff, Jasper are part of Alberta.We have had many events since the start of our region, more than 20 years ago, in Banff, Jasper, Kananaskis, Cochrane, Calgary, drumheller etc. So I am at a loss for words...too much drama in this club now. A sad day.

By saying keep it real, I was referring to your dismissing Greg's version of the Alberta event while claiming sainthood of the executive at the time. Nobody is perfect, but their killing of that particular event wasnt through ineptitude, it was through elitism.

darbgnik
01-23-2016, 09:54 PM
LOl Sainthood!! Ya I guess basing 21 years of regional events on one cancelled event could be seen as whatever in your eyes. Maybe the cancellation was not done in the best interest of the club, but it is what it is. I just hate to see those 21 years being brushed aside by a few. We have had some great executive over the years who all worked damn hard to help organize events for members. We have had great events and I have made life long friends....no need to even have the car to continue these friendships. As for the future of your club.....you ought to set the course as you seem to have a vision. As for my 20 years in the club....done.

"Maybe the cancellation was not done in the best interest of the club." That's sugar coating it. You're the one who called a person telling the truth about it "running down the club". Don't try to play the victim card now by recounting years of membership. And please don't leave on my account, as by my own previous admission, we will never meet, as I will not be travelling to anywhere you will be. What you consider "events", I consider glorified commuting.......

I am not attempting to take any credit for anything that has been done for this club, I have done nothing to benefit anyone. But I'm also not going to watch you and Asp dog pile my friend when he's telling the truth, and I know it. If you're going to get offended by my saying what's right, then by all means, get offended.

darbgnik
01-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Dog pile for telling the truth??? I think I said I agreed by saying the cancellation was NOT in the best interest of the club. You have no idea about any of the events I have hosted so why are you commenting on them? But yes, you have offended me totally & I will not be any part of a group that you are in. Not pulling a "victim card", just had enough of people who do nothing to benefit anyone but then bitch about it. Good day.

Sorry bud, you grudgingly agreed later. Re read your first post in this thread if your memory is failing you. That was the dog piling post you made, agreeing with Asps first negative post about him. Don't let the truth get in the way of you getting offended:

darbgnik
01-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Oh, and if any of the Western Canada board here has a bleeding heart about Mr. Offended here leaving because I'm here, by all means, refund the 50 bucks or whatever pittance the club sends the regions back to the VOA, as I don't need to be a Western Canada member, I just re joined and paid my fees to support the forum.

I made no plans for romantic drives to steak houses. ;)

darbgnik
01-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Not sure where you are coming from as I also agreed with aspman that I had nothing to do with cancelling the event. Seems like you just want to cause havoc and break the club up. Well you have succeeded...a feather in your cap? Now leave me alone....

Well if all it took was calling a spade a spade, to break up the club (by your leaving), you must be quite the important man. If by you leaving, the club breaks up...........
I don't think making you leave is a feather in my cap . You're just another nobody. A classy one judging by your last post. ;)

All Blue ACR
02-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Haha, yes in support of, I wondered about that when I wrote it, but figured I could leave it, as most would catch my drift.

As did I, the guy that hosted 2 of the BBQs......

Haven't been here in a long time but seems I didn't miss much. Ted is still going on and on about his car (awesome car but......) and the wine tours continue.

There's always good folks to hook up with for a drive but the ones we put together with Greg's leadership remain the best in memory for me.

Fireball36
02-14-2016, 11:42 PM
As did I, the guy that hosted 2 of the BBQs......

Haven't been here in a long time but seems I didn't miss much. Ted is still going on and on about his car (awesome car but......) and the wine tours continue.

There's always good folks to hook up with for a drive but the ones we put together with Greg's leadership remain the best in memory for me.

Thanks Jim! Thanks for helping with the events - and your exceptional hospitality. It was fun!

Greg