PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the seats in the Gen V?

ViperGeorge
12-20-2013, 08:38 AM
I had driven Wayne Rauh's Gen V several months ago and thought the seats were uncomfortable. Wayne thought the same thing. (By the way for those that don't know Wayne and his wife D'Ann have something like 70 Vipers.) I took delivery of my own Gen V last week and have been driving it to work everyday. The seats really bother my back. I don't think I could drive it for an hour or I'd be a cripple. Never had any issues with the seats in my Gen II, III, or IVs. I've driven them across country. Put 6000 miles on my Gen IV ACR in a week. Anyone else have this issue with the seats? Have you come up with a solution?

ViperSmith
12-20-2013, 08:39 AM
I love them. Hold you in well.

They take ~1000 miles to break in decently.

Timmer
12-20-2013, 08:48 AM
I had Venzano Interiors (http://www.venzanoviper.com/) redo mine and the comfort difference is remarkable!

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u383/mulligan7/05_zpsac921895.jpg

ViperGeorge
12-20-2013, 09:27 AM
I had Venzano Interiors (http://www.venzanoviper.com/) redo mine and the comfort difference is remarkable!

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u383/mulligan7/05_zpsac921895.jpg

Did they do something to the inside of the seat? Change the foam, install a better lumbar maybe?

Timmer
12-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Did they do something to the inside of the seat? Change the foam, install a better lumbar maybe?

I'm not exactly sure what they did but I'm sure if you give Tony a call he will be happy to tell you.

VENOM V
12-20-2013, 09:47 AM
It must be an individual thing. I have back problems and sometimes get sore riding in unsupportive seats, like in SUVs. However, I've taken several long trips in the Viper, including 9 hours to Vegas each way. Seats are ideal for me, no pain for me or my lady.

I've heard that they soften over time, I haven't noticed any difference.

Coloviper
12-20-2013, 11:41 AM
George;

The solution is on longer drives (longer than 1 hr) to just swap cars with a fellow VOA member named Coloviper. His GEN 1.5 has very comfy factory Bark-a-loungers good for long drives. Problem solved, and everyone wins, at least the way I see it!

PS How dare you not post a picture of the new car? :o

ViperGeorge
12-20-2013, 11:47 AM
They were posted in another thread somewhere but here you are.

George;

The solution is on longer drives (longer than 1 hr) to just swap cars with a fellow VOA member named Coloviper. His GEN 1.5 has very comfy factory Bark-a-loungers good for long drives. Problem solved, and everyone wins, at least the way I see it!

PS How dare you not post a picture of the new car? :o

Nine Ball
12-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Need about 1000 miles in them. I had initial complaints about mine, not supporting my lower back well. After I figured out how to position them better, and the miles to break them in, they are perfect.

Try different angles and height adjustments.

boostsaves
12-20-2013, 01:15 PM
My gen v Laguna seats are one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had the pleasure of driving in. I have sat in a lot of seats. I drove 8 plus hours in them and loved every second of them. Even pulled over and took a nap in them. The wife would also agree that they are comfy.

Policy Limits
12-20-2013, 07:21 PM
Them Sabelts have good lumbar support and feel good for me. I agree that it takes 1,000 miles to break in

Nine Ball
12-21-2013, 06:59 AM
I'm pretty sure we have a lot of readers that are horrified to think about putting 1000 miles on a Viper. :)

ViperSmith
12-21-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm pretty sure we have a lot of readers that are horrified to think about putting 1000 miles on a Viper. :)

"I can't wait three years for comfortable seats!"

Coloviper
12-21-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks George! Car looks great! Wish I could help with a real solution but other than saying:

1. Take them apart and have them rework/re stuffed to your liking
2. Replace them completely with other seats like Recaros

We can all thank Sergio for the sore back. As potential owners we picked the cool and comfy seats at VOI11 and then prior to production, Sergio said get those loungers out. That decision was his and his alone as Ralph tried to give us what we wanted originally. An option for those original VOI11 seats would have been nice. Then again a bit lower price tag with options all in would have been even more appreciated.

Hope they soften up and if not, Heather and I can suffer in them to help you out on the long trips.

Scott Mannny
12-21-2013, 09:56 AM
They were posted in another thread somewhere but here you are.

Very NICE George!!!!

SilveRT8
12-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Mine felt comfy from day one, after I removed the 1" height spacers, got about 2,000 miles in 3 months and did not notice the break-in difference
No complaints on the seats

Space Truckin
12-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Mine felt comfy from day one, after I removed the 1" height spacers, got about 2,000 miles in 3 months and did not notice the break-in difference
No complaints on the seats
Same here, no issue other then the height adjustments ( took a week to figure out I could lower seat) Lol

ViperGeorge
12-22-2013, 09:51 AM
I would think that my issue would have been solved with the addition of a lumbar support. Remember the Gen 2s had that lumbar that you pumped up manually. Couldn't add a lot of weight and it would be functional. I wonder whether you could take a Gen 2 seat apart and install that part in a Gen 5 seat.

F2V
12-22-2013, 10:54 AM
Haven't had enough time in the seat to tell!!

Seriously thought, I find it more comfy they my 09...and the 6 way power seat helps quite a bit, although it certainly isn't an S550 chair. At 5'9" 165 lbs my tailbone is a bit thin, and the rear of the seat bottom could have used more cushioning, for me anyway. I'll address this, when I have the interior completely re-done in future.

Viktimize
12-22-2013, 01:59 PM
I would think that my issue would have been solved with the addition of a lumbar support. Remember the Gen 2s had that lumbar that you pumped up manually. Couldn't add a lot of weight and it would be functional. I wonder whether you could take a Gen 2 seat apart and install that part in a Gen 5 seat.

For my BMW I can buy the whole bladder set with switchs and everything as it's all pneumatic. I imagine there is generic kits out there? I might look into it when I get my Gen3 seats recovered and repadded. Going to add a butt fan too to keep the swass and back sweat to a minimum on long road trips.

VYPR BYT
12-22-2013, 09:51 PM
09, I don't know how tall you are but make sure you don't have the seat too far back. That could make a gap at the lower back which can make the middle back hurt. Sometimes pulling the seat forward a couple inches does it.

ViperGeorge
12-23-2013, 03:32 PM
09, I don't know how tall you are but make sure you don't have the seat too far back. That could make a gap at the lower back which can make the middle back hurt. Sometimes pulling the seat forward a couple inches does it.

5'10" 175. I'll try other positions but I'm not too tall and not too short. Seats in my Gen 4s are way more comfortable regardless of position. I've heard from some others that they have the same issue with the seats.

IDM
08-10-2016, 06:50 PM
If anyone is selling/swapping gen V seats please let me know I'd buy them thank you

I also have seats to trade or can buy outright thanks

wrh3
08-10-2016, 06:56 PM
I love my seats.......but I also liked the one piece fiberglass seats with thin/no padding in the Elise so it's subjective.

Fourtrax250r
08-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Love my GTS Laguna seats!! No complaints at all!

zee
08-10-2016, 08:21 PM
Base/TA seats are much more comfy then the leather options IMO. Have driven in all of them and love my TA seats

7TH_SIGN
08-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Base model seats in mine which correct me if I'm wrong are the same as the TAs. I really like the seats, you don't need to change them out as they offer the racing harness and lightweight design. Driving longer than 30 minutes usually gives me some lower back pain but that's my own fault from years of incorrect deadlift and squat form.

zee
08-10-2016, 08:59 PM
Base model seats in mine which correct me if I'm wrong are the same as the TAs. I really like the seats, you don't need to change them out as they offer the racing harness and lightweight design. Driving longer than 30 minutes usually gives me some lower back pain but that's my own fault from years of incorrect deadlift and squat form.

Yep their the same. I hear some people put alcantara inserts which makes it look even better

Vipes
08-10-2016, 09:13 PM
I find the G5 base seats very comfortable, much more than the leather seats. That was one of the reasons I avoided the GT and GTS models, along with the fact the SRT hood option is extremely rare.

senior racer
08-10-2016, 09:46 PM
I liked my G2 seats, still like the G4 seats, could never get comfortable in my 13 GTS until I put a small cylindrical pillow at the bottom rear of the seat and same with the ACR-E. The little extra support did the trick.(But then I've got more metal in my pelvis than is polite to talk about in mixed company)

SRT_BluByU
08-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Absolutely the best seats of any car VE owned.. I've easily driven it 6+ hrs stopping for fuel only. Also Daily driven.. They're great!

lochnessmonster
08-10-2016, 10:22 PM
I think they could be better. I've got about 10,000 miles in mine, and they are much better than they were initially. I still dread taking the car in for service or letting someone else drive it for fear that they will adjust the seat and it will literally take me a few days to get it back to exactly where it needs to be. I think the Venzano option is really the way to go if you've got the $$$ and motivation.

FLATOUT
08-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Love the gen V seats.

Disturbed
08-11-2016, 06:48 AM
Hate them. The seat bottom is so long that my calves and the seat fight for space. No lumbar support is a WTF! I also hate the way it pivots it too high up. Ilove the seats in my E92 M3 and R8.

Gen1/2 Viper seats where the best viper seats.

7TH_SIGN
08-11-2016, 06:54 AM
Gen1/2 Viper seats where the best viper seats.

That's true. My GEN II seats were extremely comfortable.

swexlin
08-11-2016, 06:55 AM
I like them - but I am 5 10, and a lean 155, so most any seats are fine for me. I have the upgraded leather, and it's comfy. That being said, the seats in my Gen 3, and my 07 SRT8 (which were virtually identical in both cars) are without a doubt the most comfy seats I've ever been in.

bluesrt
08-11-2016, 09:58 AM
Same here. Have the ta seats. Best seat to date

IDM
08-11-2016, 10:15 AM
How many different seat material types are there? Just the leather and the ones with cloth inserts in the middle?

ViperPete
08-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Base seats are more comfortable than the Laguna seats IMO.

I love my GTS but when I drove a SRT last year, i was surprised how much easier it was to get in and out and how much wider the SRT seats seemed.

darbgnik
08-11-2016, 05:22 PM
Base seats are more comfortable than the Laguna seats IMO.

I love my GTS but when I drove a SRT last year, i was surprised how much easier it was to get in and out and how much wider the SRT seats seemed.

You are correct. The seat-backs especially, are wider and softer in the TA/SRT. I don't think I could do the GTS seats. As nice as they look, they're not big man approved. ;)

mblgjr
08-11-2016, 07:48 PM
Love my GTS Laguna seats!! No complaints at all!

This

gcrain
08-13-2016, 12:29 AM
I love the ACR seats. The Recaros in my ST were a real pain, literally, for about 6 months. I eventually bought a gel cushion to sit on until they broke in. Love them now though.

braunstein82
08-14-2016, 11:51 AM
My gen 2 seat were way more comfortable. Trip from NC to FL was easy in my gen 2, but an hour with the Laguna leather in my gen 5 and I'm in pain. I did put a towel in crevice of the seat and it's helped alot.