Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Do you like the seats in the Gen V?

I had driven Wayne Rauh's Gen V several months ago and thought the seats were uncomfortable. Wayne thought the same thing. (By the way for those that don't know Wayne and his wife D'Ann have something like 70 Vipers.) I took delivery of my own Gen V last week and have been driving it to work everyday. The seats really bother my back. I don't think I could drive it for an hour or I'd be a cripple. Never had any issues with the seats in my Gen II, III, or IVs. I've driven them across country. Put 6000 miles on my Gen IV ACR in a week. Anyone else have this issue with the seats? Have you come up with a solution?
    Last edited by ViperGeorge; 12-20-2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: 600 should have been 6000!

Enthusiast
    I love them. Hold you in well.

They take ~1000 miles to break in decently.

Enthusiast
    I had Venzano Interiors redo mine and the comfort difference is remarkable!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
    I had Venzano Interiors redo mine and the comfort difference is remarkable!

Did they do something to the inside of the seat? Change the foam, install a better lumbar maybe?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 09viperacr View Post
    Did they do something to the inside of the seat? Change the foam, install a better lumbar maybe?
    I'm not exactly sure what they did but I'm sure if you give Tony a call he will be happy to tell you.

Enthusiast
    It must be an individual thing. I have back problems and sometimes get sore riding in unsupportive seats, like in SUVs. However, I've taken several long trips in the Viper, including 9 hours to Vegas each way. Seats are ideal for me, no pain for me or my lady.

I've heard that they soften over time, I haven't noticed any difference.

Enthusiast
    George;

The solution is on longer drives (longer than 1 hr) to just swap cars with a fellow VOA member named Coloviper. His GEN 1.5 has very comfy factory Bark-a-loungers good for long drives. Problem solved, and everyone wins, at least the way I see it!

PS How dare you not post a picture of the new car?

Enthusiast
    They were posted in another thread somewhere but here you are.

IMAG1680.jpgIMAG1682 (1).jpg2014 GTS.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloviper View Post

George;

The solution is on longer drives (longer than 1 hr) to just swap cars with a fellow VOA member named Coloviper. His GEN 1.5 has very comfy factory Bark-a-loungers good for long drives. Problem solved, and everyone wins, at least the way I see it!

PS How dare you not post a picture of the new car?

Enthusiast
    Need about 1000 miles in them. I had initial complaints about mine, not supporting my lower back well. After I figured out how to position them better, and the miles to break them in, they are perfect.

Try different angles and height adjustments.

My gen v Laguna seats are one of the most comfortable seats I have ever had the pleasure of driving in. I have sat in a lot of seats. I drove 8 plus hours in them and loved every second of them. Even pulled over and took a nap in them. The wife would also agree that they are comfy.

Them Sabelts have good lumbar support and feel good for me. I agree that it takes 1,000 miles to break in

Enthusiast
    I'm pretty sure we have a lot of readers that are horrified to think about putting 1000 miles on a Viper.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
    I'm pretty sure we have a lot of readers that are horrified to think about putting 1000 miles on a Viper.
    "I can't wait three years for comfortable seats!"

Enthusiast
    Thanks George! Car looks great! Wish I could help with a real solution but other than saying:

1. Take them apart and have them rework/re stuffed to your liking
    2. Replace them completely with other seats like Recaros

We can all thank Sergio for the sore back. As potential owners we picked the cool and comfy seats at VOI11 and then prior to production, Sergio said get those loungers out. That decision was his and his alone as Ralph tried to give us what we wanted originally. An option for those original VOI11 seats would have been nice. Then again a bit lower price tag with options all in would have been even more appreciated.

Hope they soften up and if not, Heather and I can suffer in them to help you out on the long trips.

Enthusiast
    They were posted in another thread somewhere but here you are.

IMAG1680.jpgIMAG1682 (1).jpg2014 GTS.jpg
    Very NICE George!!!!

Enthusiast
    Mine felt comfy from day one, after I removed the 1" height spacers, got about 2,000 miles in 3 months and did not notice the break-in difference
    No complaints on the seats

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SilveRT8 View Post
    Mine felt comfy from day one, after I removed the 1" height spacers, got about 2,000 miles in 3 months and did not notice the break-in difference
    No complaints on the seats
    Same here, no issue other then the height adjustments ( took a week to figure out I could lower seat) Lol

Enthusiast
    I would think that my issue would have been solved with the addition of a lumbar support. Remember the Gen 2s had that lumbar that you pumped up manually. Couldn't add a lot of weight and it would be functional. I wonder whether you could take a Gen 2 seat apart and install that part in a Gen 5 seat.

Enthusiast
    Haven't had enough time in the seat to tell!!

Seriously thought, I find it more comfy they my 09...and the 6 way power seat helps quite a bit, although it certainly isn't an S550 chair. At 5'9" 165 lbs my tailbone is a bit thin, and the rear of the seat bottom could have used more cushioning, for me anyway. I'll address this, when I have the interior completely re-done in future.

Enthusiast
    I would think that my issue would have been solved with the addition of a lumbar support. Remember the Gen 2s had that lumbar that you pumped up manually. Couldn't add a lot of weight and it would be functional. I wonder whether you could take a Gen 2 seat apart and install that part in a Gen 5 seat.
    For my BMW I can buy the whole bladder set with switchs and everything as it's all pneumatic. I imagine there is generic kits out there? I might look into it when I get my Gen3 seats recovered and repadded. Going to add a butt fan too to keep the swass and back sweat to a minimum on long road trips.

Enthusiast
    09, I don't know how tall you are but make sure you don't have the seat too far back. That could make a gap at the lower back which can make the middle back hurt. Sometimes pulling the seat forward a couple inches does it.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by VYPR BYT View Post
    09, I don't know how tall you are but make sure you don't have the seat too far back. That could make a gap at the lower back which can make the middle back hurt. Sometimes pulling the seat forward a couple inches does it.
    5'10" 175. I'll try other positions but I'm not too tall and not too short. Seats in my Gen 4s are way more comfortable regardless of position. I've heard from some others that they have the same issue with the seats.

If anyone is selling/swapping gen V seats please let me know I'd buy them thank you

I also have seats to trade or can buy outright thanks

I love my seats.......but I also liked the one piece fiberglass seats with thin/no padding in the Elise so it's subjective.

Enthusiast
    Love my GTS Laguna seats!! No complaints at all!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast