Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Picking up a highly modded gen 3

Hey guys

Left a deposit on a Paxton supercharged gen 3

Lots of stuff done but the one issue that I'm concerned about is when I depress and release the clutch... I can audibly hear it sort of connecting and disconnecting underneath the car

Is this something a modded high power clutch might do ? Or perhaps is this a drive train issue?

I know you guys wpuod have to hear it but I'm.hoping it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks in advance

Probably just the fingers of the pressure plate moving when the slave cylinder is pushing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
    Probably just the fingers of the pressure plate moving when the slave cylinder is pushing on them.
    Thanks ramtuff

Is that something more common with high powered clutches?

IL try to take a video of it

It's not a clunk or clank it's like you can hear the clutch engaging and disengaging

Never heard it before on any other car

Enthusiast
    Typically stiffer springs for increased HP, sometimes equates to more noise when the ambient noise floor is low.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramtuff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post
    Typically stiffer springs for increased HP, sometimes equates to more noise when the ambient noise floor is low.
    Much appreciated, hoping for the best I'm picking it up later today

Enthusiast
    You've got 2 Vipers now? Doesn't seem long since you got your first. Well done that man!

only thing better than one viper is two vipers

Enthusiast
    I've had quite a few different high capacity/performance clutches on two different vehicles, and I can't say that any of them made any appreciable mechanical noise when the clutch pedal was depressed with the car not running.

Different friction materials can make noises when engaging the clutch from a stop (like chattering and/or squealing), but that's dependent on the material used.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicbloo View Post
    You've got 2 Vipers now? Doesn't seem long since you got your first. Well done that man!
    Honestly man , my blue viper as most seen was definitely a diamond in the rough .... bit I fell so deeply in love with it .... truly fun car

This second one is a huge step up , not just the power... the way the doors close , the silent windows, the interior smell , it's night and day

Quote Originally Posted by proedge View Post
    only thing better than one viper is two vipers
    Haha no doubt about that

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    I've had quite a few different high capacity/performance clutches on two different vehicles, and I can't say that any of them made any appreciable mechanical noise when the clutch pedal was depressed with the car not running.

Different friction materials can make noises when engaging the clutch from a stop (like chattering and/or squealing), but that's dependent on the material used.
    Thanks Steve, I own the car now and the noise when pushing the clutch is that of a spring being released , it's only noticeable in low rpm otherwise the engine covers it up

I'm not overly concerned with it anymore because after driving for 2-3 hours it seems to be flawless

Little teaser , such an amazing experience driving this car

I still do not know the full extent of the mods but I'll list what I do know

-Paxton blower (apprrox 800hp)
    -Cam ( specs unknown)
    -Meth
    -Headers
    -Magnaflow exhaust
    -2 piece brake rotors ( make unknown)
    -High end coilovers ( drives like a lexus) , brand unknown
    -19 inch concave 3 piece wheels ( don't like the red lips will be changing asap)
    -Carbon fiber and Suede steering wheel
    -Full JL AUDIO sound system, 2 amps , extra rear battery
    -Kenwood double din touch screen deck
    -front splitter ( brand unknown)
    - rear spoiler - brand unknown
    -upgraded clutch ( brand unknown)

The tranny is definitely built, what a difference from my other , no idea who did it or to what specs

373 rear end, not sure if built or what

Gonna post some photos soon hope to find out more details

God is good and this car is such a blessing

Appreciate all the help and advice guys20220309_222612.jpg20220310_000903.jpg
    Last edited by 1Willy1; 03-10-2022 at 12:36 AM.

Does anyone know if the fact the car is cammed and supercharged changes the recommended oil?

My 05 is 10w 40, this one says its 10w30 on the cap

I guess my best bet is just going with the oil recommended by the manufacturer?

Thanks

Enthusiast
    Guys with Paxton equipped Gen III's that I know ran Mobil 1 15W-50.

FYI: 2003 and 2004 Viper oil caps said Mobil 1 10W-30.
    2005 and 2006 models said Mobil 1 0W-40.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Guys with Paxton equipped Gen III's that I know ran Mobil 1 15W-50.

FYI: 2003 and 2004 Viper oil caps said Mobil 1 10W-30.
    2005 and 2006 models said Mobil 1 0W-40.
    Thanks Steve, I've heard the same

Wonder why they made such a drastic oil change from 04 to 05

Found this on another forum from a guy named as "srt engineer"

This question has come up a few times on this forum with some misinformation being passed along - Just for the record; 15W-50 will work fine in the 2008 engine. The only downside might be a slight drop in fuel economy (0.2 to 0.5 mpg if you can measure it or if you care!). The 0W-40 oil was selected primarily for the slight fuel economy improvement it offers and its broader operating range when compared to the older 5W-30 or 10W-30 oils. The 0W-40 is a superior product when compared to the 5W or 10W-30 oils.

I don't think the 15w 50 is ideal for colder climates but most supercharged guys run it

Tempted to go 0w40 but I'll do more research

Enthusiast
    15w-50 would seem to me to be quit thick for the application. Both my supercharged 05 Viper powered vehicles use 0w-40 since the rotating assemblies are stock.

Enthusiast
    I wouldn't be afraid of the 15w50 being too thick unless you live pretty far north.

I put together some specs for the different grades of Mobil 1 engine oils, mostly from their website (https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/...r-oil-products) as well as some other places around the internet when certain specs weren't listed (I have no idea why they started doing that a few years ago). The results:

And here's the SAE J300 spec for reference:

Source: http://www.lube-media.com/wp-content...otive-oils.pdf

Note how thin the 0w40 is at 100°C - if you cross reference it to the SAE J300 standard, you can see that it just qualifies as a 40 weight oil. Now, is that necessarily a bad thing? Probably not, but there have been a few mentions on this board that Dick Winkles liked the 10w40 and 15w50 oils better for high performance applications compared to the factory spec'd 0w40. Also note that the 10w40 is pretty darn close to a 50 weight oil at the upper end of the temp. range.

Random info: the 15w50 also has a bit more zinc in it for those that need/want it.

Just food for thought...if your engine is still working, then clearly what you are doing is good enough.

Enthusiast
    And congrats to the OP on the purchase! Looks like a sweet ride with some solid upgrades.

I'm really digging that steering wheel.

I wouldn't be afraid of the 15w50 being too thick unless you live pretty far north.
    I live ''far north'' and I use Amsoil signature 0W40 from october to april (stored winter) then I switch to Amsoil Dominator racing 15W50 for the summer time.

Best of both worlds, many reasons... Cold starts, high temps, track season, max 6 months intervals, etc..

Thanks guys , I just feel more confident with the 0w 40 in the cooler Temps, so gonna go with that

Might switch to 15w 50 in sunner

And I think I'm somewhat north haha

20220117_142136.jpg
    Last edited by 1Willy1; 03-12-2022 at 10:06 AM.

And congrats to the OP on the purchase! Looks like a sweet ride with some solid upgrades.

I'm really digging that steering wheel.
    Thanks Steve, love the wheel too, changes the feel quite a bit

And I think I'm somewhat north haha
    oh damn we had snow this year didnt we? And it's not over yet...

Thanks guys , I just feel more confident with the 0w 40 in the cooler Temps, so gonna go with that
    yeah cold starts aren't very gentle to an engine... June to September on the other hand, 15W50 would be perfect

Enthusiast
    You win the "holy shit that's a lot of snow" award.

0w40 for you it is then.

Quote Originally Posted by Aevus View Post
    oh damn we had snow this year didnt we? And it's not over yet...
    everytime i think its over....NOPE, another few inches/feet of it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Aevus View Post
    yeah cold starts aren't very gentle to an engine... June to September on the other hand, 15W50 would be perfect
    god idea , i dont beat on the car much anyways, i dont go past 5k rpm very often if ever, so hopefully 0w 40 year long works ok

You win the "holy shit that's a lot of snow" award.

0w40 for you it is then.
    lol the poor cars though, got caught off guard by that storm my own fault

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast