Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

michelin pilot sport 4s

still have the original p zero tires on my 14' gts, 20k miles, tread doesn't look too bad but rubber getting close to 10 years, it's definitely time. the car is for street use only, but can get a little crazy on back roads i am leaning toward the michelin pilot sport 4s. anybody have these tires? i read very good things about them, but i also drive the car alot in cooler weather, so wondering how much that affects them. any input would be appreciated.

these are my go to tires for every car that see mostly street, they don't take much warm up and probably have one of the best if not the best grip out of all the 300tw tires.

great longevity too.

only downside I see with them is with their tendency to really heat up on track, but not a problem for you

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by finalleaf View Post
    these are my go to tires for every car that see mostly street, they don't take much warm up and probably have one of the best if not the best grip out of all the 300tw tires.

great longevity too.

only downside I see with them is with their tendency to really heat up on track, but not a problem for you
    sounds great, thanks finalleaf

Enthusiast
    Have them on my gen5, they're great all around( they don't hook up as much as i'd like due to my car's hp, but I couldnt find toyo's when I got these), but they sure grip good on spirited mountain drives.

Another+1 to the 4S tires as we have them on multiple vehicles.

Enthusiast
    I ran the Michelin 4S tires on my ACR-E for last year's One Lap of America. I liked them. Ok, not as fast as Cups, Kumhos, or Hoosiers but for a street tire pretty darn good. They were also much better in the rain than the PZeros.

Enthusiast
    They are better than the Pirellis. But worse than the Toyo R888's. I honestly don't love them. Once they wear out ill be going back to the Toyo's. The michelins just dont have "acclerate through a turn" confidence IMO.

Enthusiast
    It's hard to find a better performance street tire. There's better track tires, but it's hard to find something better that can blend wet, cold, and dry good grip along with good wear and low road noise.
    They're kind of the the "go to" max performance street tire for a car that doesn't see track time or any racing.

A lot of these super performance tires like R888R, NT01, Cup2 are straight up death traps below 45 degrees. Below 40 degrees, it's a nightmare. And that's dry. I drove on Cup2s at ~40 degrees exactly once. It went from about 55 to 40 (maybe slightly less) over dinner and a little mist. I am not kidding you, I thought I was going to crash for sure in my C7. I was going with the flow of traffic through onramps and the the tires were letting go. I was trying not to let me my GF know and she noticed how tensely I was driving. I felt like I was driving at the limit at the track, except with no runoff and at 55mph.

I'll be switching to them in the Viper and AMG when my next tire change comes around (1yr for AMG, 17 years for Viper lol).

Also, R888R are my least favorite tires. I dont get the love for them unless you street race.
    Last edited by Lawineer; 03-17-2023 at 09:59 AM.

Enthusiast
    sounds like the tire for me, i don't track the car and i have no problem taking it out in 30 to 40 degree temps for a joyride. i watched alot of you tube videoes and it's like what Lawineer says, very good street tire in colder weather due to them warming up quicker than other tires but not the best for track because they have a tendancy to get too hot fast.

Enthusiast
    pzeros sucked when they were new, cant imagine 10 years old. It will be complete night and day with the michelins

Enthusiast
    In a parallel universe, I just bought a 2023 Corolla GR (Toyota's answer to the WRX and VW Gulf). The factory tire is the PS4s or the cup series.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    In a parallel universe, I just bought a 2023 Corolla GR (Toyota's answer to the WRX and VW Gulf). The factory tire is the PS4s or the cup series.
    How do you like it so far? (the GR)

Enthusiast
    A close friend has those tires on his C6Z. They seem great after 3k miles or so.

Enthusiast
    It is supposed to be in next week. It looks like each dealer is getting one car, that seems hard to believe. I did see the US allocation was 2500 units, but, that was dependent on no supply chain hiccups. They are now going over msrp. I got lucky, my dealer got an extra car for the auto show, I took his allocated car.

Quote Originally Posted by SA Heat View Post
    How do you like it so far? (the GR)

Enthusiast
    I think you'll really enjoy it. It's *very* different than a viper though.

I have an FT86 as my dedicated track car and I've been doing a lot of sim driving in the GR86 (no FT). The GR seems have a lot of similar characteristics. The most notable one is that it turns in FAST under braking, even very light braking. Like... 10% braking pressure makes a difference. It's very easily to spin the car on brakes. You really need to get the front end settled down under braking, then turn in- which often means start braking earlier and lighter just to get the car settled. And for a car with such little power (relatively), getting on the gas really straightens it out. Reminds me a bit of driving a 911 Turbo. When thinks got sketchy, I'd just hit the gas the AWD would just straighten the car out.

The Viper felt a lot more "normal" under braking. Quite honestly, it it actually felt really stable. I could jab the brakes and turn in right away on kinks without an issue. Light braking didn't do much and it turned in easier under heavy braking, but unless I was really trying, it wasn't going to spin the rear around on me. At least it didn't feel that way. Of course, having an extra 120mm of rubber in the rear will do that. If you add a wing, it would probably be next to impossible absent serious effort.

Enthusiast
    Since you drive the Viper when it is cool and likely changing weather I would suggest your two solid choices would be the 4S or the Continental Extreme Sport. Both tires are reasonably quiet , solid on a rainy road, and not bad at all when the weather is cooler. I would not recommend the R888R for someone who is driving it often, as it is extremely noisy, lousy in cool weather and very skittish on wet and rainy pavement. You are not tracking the car, so for a good ride, solid life, and some piece of mind in cool or rainy weather, the 4S or Conti Extreme Sport are great choices.

By the way, for those excited to get a set of Extreme Force Contis, it appears from my sources, there is another delay before they hit the ground.
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 04-06-2023 at 08:19 AM.

I'm thinking very hard about getting a set of 4S tires for my ACR-E. I love the Kumho tires when they are brand new, but I don't drive on the track with this car, I don't push the car much at all, but the Kumho tires do feel very greasy if I do push them after a few years.

I'm more worried about the weather around here getting wet and very cold - and the Kumho tires just don't cut it in those conditions. In fact, I've opted out of club days when the outside temperatures were around 37 degrees at my house (even if they're 50 down in town).

Downside is that the 4S tires are 35% more expensive, and it is kind of nice to keep a fresh set of OEM tires on the car - even if I toss them when they're only down about 10% from their "new" treadwear depth.

Enthusiast
    I have them on a TT build, once they warm up they run pretty good. They don't stick as well as R888's but for the street they are a pretty good option.

Enthusiast
    Michelin is releaseing a Pilot Sport 5 S tire now, but who knows if they will carry viper sizes over to it

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/205791/ne...-tyre-launched

probably just 20-21 sizes

Enthusiast
    FWIW, had the 4s tires installed yesterday and had my alignment checked as well. alignment was a little off so got that adjusted. the drive home was almost 2 hours consisting of highway and backroads.
    what i noticed: (temp outside was about 55 degrees)
    - tires definitely stickier, kicked up more little rocks when leaving the parking lot
    - car felt great on highway and stayed planted when taking the on and off half-circled exits pretty aggressively
    - from what i understand, this tire warms up quicker and can get hotter than most. not sure if this is related but with the Pirellis, the tire psi went up 3psi on my drive to the dealership, on my way
    back the s4 tires went up 2 psi (32 to 34). i'm sure tracking the car, which i don't, i would expect the psi to get a little higher? it was a cool day so i'm curiuos how much the psi will change in the
    hotter summer days

these tires are definetley a softer rubber than the pirellis and i don't expect them to last 10 years, and maybe not 20k miles, but i do feel more confident with them, which is what i wanted.

Enthusiast
    I use these on my ACR as a daily now. Much more comfortable than the stock Kumho's and also a bit more confidence inspiring particularly when and if wet. I use slicks on track however if it happens to rain then no problems I'll stick to the PS4s which are actually very good in the rain on track-ok they're not race wets- but still pretty good.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    It is supposed to be in next week. It looks like each dealer is getting one car, that seems hard to believe. I did see the US allocation was 2500 units, but, that was dependent on no supply chain hiccups. They are now going over msrp. I got lucky, my dealer got an extra car for the auto show, I took his allocated car.
    Nice. I saw one (white in color) for the first time in person in the Toyota vendor display at the NASCAR race at COTA last weekend. I like them even better in person. Neat little car...one would make a nice stablemate for my Evo 8.

Enthusiast
    Fwiw I just installed PS4s on my 16 and it is hands down better than the oems. I can actually shift without getting loose now. Very happy with them.
    Troy

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SA Heat View Post
    Nice. I saw one (white in color) for the first time in person in the Toyota vendor display at the NASCAR race at COTA last weekend. I like them even better in person. Neat little car...one would make a nice stablemate for my Evo 8.
    I have put 150 miles on the car, just getting used to it. One neat feature, is the auto rev match when down shifting. One noticeable difference, the AWD makes the corners seem much easier. Part of that could be the four wheel limited slip. Even on a wet surface, there is little or no slip, the rear seems to follow the front like on a track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast