Enthusiast

Gold Canyon, just east of Phoenix

Hello all! I am planning to purchase a used Viper this January give or take and wanted to say "HI" to any other locals. If anyone takes their car to the Pavillions at Scottsdale I would love to stop by and say HI and talk Vipers with you. Right now I have 3 collectible cars and am selling one to aid with the Viper purchase. See ya soon I hope.

Enthusiast
    Hurry up and buy your car, then join the club. We're a very active club and meet at least once a month. We usually have 4 or 5 driving trips a year with other types of event scattered about. You'll never have more fun!

Enthusiast
    Do you golf as well? One of my favorite courses in Gold Canyon - the Dinosaur. Gotta love that a set of clubs fits in the Viper. And in my totally unbiased opinion, the colors of the Viper in your avatar are THE BEST!!!!

I'm in Chandler half the year, what collector cars you selling? I have space in my garage

Enthusiast
    I used to be an avid golfer but have not played in years. I do love the game. As far as hurrying up to get the Viper, I am on it! I currently own a 1974 Hurst/Olds Delta 88 Indy 500 Festival car (convertible/actual Track car) and a 1983 Hurst/Olds (show condition) and a 1991 Reatta Convertible. The Reatta has factory white wheels, an extremely rare option and makes it unmistakeable in a crowd. I am selling my 1983 Hurst/Olds at the moment. I bought it to show when I was restoring the festival car and since that's done, I will be showing the Delta now and the '83 has to go. It's a beautiful and rare car but it's sale is the price of admission to the Viper club! I have been reading posts from Viper owners for some time now and people that own these cars are SO HAPPY with them. It is so nice to see a group of enthusiasts that just love talking and driving their cars like this. I have owned many cars and been on many forums and have never seen any thing quite like this. It is wonderful and how it should be.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargirl View Post
    I used to be an avid golfer but have not played in years. I do love the game. As far as hurrying up to get the Viper, I am on it! I currently own a 1974 Hurst/Olds Delta 88 Indy 500 Festival car (convertible/actual Track car) and a 1983 Hurst/Olds (show condition) and a 1991 Reatta Convertible. The Reatta has factory white wheels, an extremely rare option and makes it unmistakeable in a crowd. I am selling my 1983 Hurst/Olds at the moment. I bought it to show when I was restoring the festival car and since that's done, I will be showing the Delta now and the '83 has to go. It's a beautiful and rare car but it's sale is the price of admission to the Viper club! I have been reading posts from Viper owners for some time now and people that own these cars are SO HAPPY with them. It is so nice to see a group of enthusiasts that just love talking and driving their cars like this. I have owned many cars and been on many forums and have never seen any thing quite like this. It is wonderful and how it should be.
    Although the viper has it's own special quirks....and even different generations and body style vipers have their own quirks, if you learn how to drive the car, ownership can be very rewarding. Unfortunately too many people see the quirks as deal breakers or simple don't want to take the time to learn how to drive any car let alone a difficult one so they end up hating their Viper. But for those special few, it's a true joy.

Enthusiast
    So what year, color, etc Viper are you looking for?

...... and to stir the pot a little .......

This coming from a guy that drives a miata .....

Quote Originally Posted by LeadfootRT10 View Post
    Although the viper has it's own special quirks....and even different generations and body style vipers have their own quirks, if you learn how to drive the car, ownership can be very rewarding. Unfortunately too many people see the quirks as deal breakers or simple don't want to take the time to learn how to drive any car let alone a difficult one so they end up hating their Viper. But for those special few, it's a true joy.

Enthusiast
    It would be nice to break down Leadfoot's post: What quirks are associated with what years? Not sure what you mean about learning to drive a Viper? You mean autocross? I think most people interested in a Viper purchase have owned high horse powered Vette, Camaro's and such and love it and are looking for just a little more thrill for their driving experience. Why do people end up hating their Viper?

As far as myself, in an ideal world I would get a Gen IV but think a Gen III would be more affordable and fit the bill. The Gen IV's I have been drooling over and simply the most beautiful sports cars I have ever seen. Much like young love, I look at these marvelous machines and they really turn me on. Wow! Really, all the colors look great and would be happy with any. Perhaps the dark blue (saffire blue?) and black ones are so beautiful!

Enthusiast
    Why do people end up hating their Viper?
    IMHO, no one who is a car enthusiast and buys a Viper ends up hating it unless they bought a car with issues. They just might find after purchase that it does not suit their needs or wants and they move on. In my opinion, Gen III are best for AZ summers, having a substantially better cooling system than the older Gens, albeit a bit more complicated one than the "norm." Your advantage, living here, is having a great Viper tech available to do a pre- or post- inspection who knows how to make sure they work right in the heat.
    Last edited by AZTVR; 07-31-2015 at 01:23 PM.

Enthusiast
    Thanks Jim. Finding informed Viper owners (or former owners) is the reason I came to this forum. Huge appreciation about the info about the cooling system, many thanks. Also, if you have a good Viper tech or facility that would do an pre-sale inspection, could you add it to the thread or PM me?

Enthusiast
    Thanks Jim. Finding informed Viper owners (or former owners) is the reason I came to this forum. Huge appreciation about the info about the cooling system, many thanks. Also, if you have a good Viper tech or facility that would do an pre-sale inspection, could you add it to the thread or PM me?
    Eddie Martin has been a Viper tech in the Phoenix area for a long time and is the go to guy in AZ. He is at Airpark Dodge in Scottsdale and has his own website:
    http://www.maehammotorsports.com/
    He also supports the serious track rats on site as needed.

Oh, and in case it hasn't been posted : http://www.azvipersclub.com/
    Last edited by AZTVR; 07-31-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Enthusiast
    It would be nice to break down Leadfoot's post: What quirks are associated with what years? Not sure what you mean about learning to drive a Viper? You mean autocross? I think most people interested in a Viper purchase have owned high horse powered Vette, Camaro's and such and love it and are looking for just a little more thrill for their driving experience. Why do people end up hating their Viper?

As far as myself, in an ideal world I would get a Gen IV but think a Gen III would be more affordable and fit the bill. The Gen IV's I have been drooling over and simply the most beautiful sports cars I have ever seen. Much like young love, I look at these marvelous machines and they really turn me on. Wow! Really, all the colors look great and would be happy with any. Perhaps the dark blue (saffire blue?) and black ones are so beautiful!
    We'll use my car as an example...it's a 2001 Gen II RT/10. I kinda fell into my car, i was presented the opportunity to buy a Viper and i took it...i knew it would be years before i could afford one outside of this opportunity. So i didn't really get a choice or have the opportunity to do any research.

Let's start with the fact that my car is a targa top convertible. It came with two tops, a hard top and a soft top.....both SUCK! So long as i'm only traveling miles or a few hours i just go topless (this is AZ afterall, the weather is stupendous for convertibles). But if i want to do any longer road trips i have to bring one or the other. If i bring the hard top, it's pretty much not coming off(this makes me cry)....if i bring the soft top, it has to go in the trunk which pretty much eliminates all my luggage space. Both are too large to really handle alone and erecting the soft top is the UN-COOLEST thing you will ever do. The pedals are in an awkward position, but I've adjusted to that. The stereo is pathetic and don't bother with the AC once the temps get over 100. The car is difficult to maneuver at slow speeds, a 3 point turn quickly becomes 4 or 5 points. And tires....don't get me started on tires....

As for other years/generations things i've heard people complain about are the seats in the Gen III are smaller, firmer and less comfortable than other Gens and the pedals are even more awkwardly out of position and closer together in a Gen III (i've experienced that one personally). They can be difficult to get in and out of, especially the coupes, and everyone who is a driver or a regular passenger has burned a bare calf on a hot rocker panel. They can be difficult to service and parts are far from cheap, the Viper tax is a real thing (you'll never have a problem knowing you car isn't being taken care of though as you have Eddie who others have mentioned).

As far as what i meant by learning the car.....there are plenty of cars out there that you can hop in and feel like a hero right out of the box. The Viper will never be like that....there's always the sense it could bit you even when you know you're well within you and the car's limits. They have none of the electric nannies that most cars have today and until 2001, they didn't even have anti-lock brakes....just a lot of raw power and only you to control it.

And AZTVR is right, most people walk away from a Viper not because they hate it but because they're uncomfortable with it.

I know I listed a bunch of stuff, but for me, it's all minuscule compared to the fun and friendship my car has brought me. I will never get rid of my RT/10 for anything, even another Viper. I may add more, but i will always have at least this one. And i should point out that everything i mentioned above has been significantly improved upon or fixed altogether in the Gen V....but i sense a 5 is out of your price range at the moment.

BTW, if you want a dark blue(sapphire blue) car, 2001 is your only option. Sapphire was only available in 2001, i know because mine is one of those few blue beauties. The only other dark blue is called Midnight Shadow and is available on the Gen Vs.
    Last edited by LeadfootRT10; 07-31-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for your thoughtful post Leadfoot! Love and hate, that's good with me-just don't bore me. And from your post, I will not be bored with the Viper! LOL Too bad about the color, you are one of the lucky ones, that sapphire blue is the perfect color. Nice! It surprises me the stereo is lacking, from it's appearance it looks like it would rock the house. As far as burning your calves, that's OK with me, it tells you your alive and warns you of the danger the car offers. Thanks for your insights LF!

Enthusiast
    Hey Az Viper fans. I ended up buying a 2003 Red Viper with 2000 miles. Still has the new car smell and wow am I excited. I am waiting for a car transport company to pick it up from Tulsa, OK and with any luck, will have the car safely in my garage late next week. I will be posting photo's upon arrival. I am really looking forward to meeting some of the local Viper enthusiasts. Oh, I will be changing my avatar soon as well!!

Enthusiast
    Hey, congratuilarions on your purchase.

all generations give you different reasons to love them. That's just how they are.
    Let me offer my thoughts on the gen III. I went from a Gen II to a Gen III and I don't find it more "uncomfortable" or anything like that. My girlfriend in fact finds the car really comfortable on long drives. She calls it "soothing." Don't worry about burning your calves. My girlfriend regularly gets out of the car in a nice dress and 4" heels and is fine. Just be aware of it and you are good to go. Plus, you can add high flow cats and corsa and make a huge difference if you wanted to. Of course you could go full boat and do headers too but if you just wanted some sound, a bit of power, and to bring the temp down on the side sills a little you could just do high flows and corsa. And, I will say the gen III cools itself so much better than my Gen II did in our hot summers. In fact, sometimes I have to turn the air conditioner up because the cabin gets more than cold enough. Now don't get me wrong, I loved my GTS and was gonna keep it forever, but after everything that happened I decided it was time for a change and I got the gen III and I have not regretted it one bit. You will love your car. Congratulations again.

Be sure to join the club officially ASAP!!!! We have a great cruise coming up mid November which will be a good chance to meet some of the members and DO NOT miss the chrismas party at wild horse pass. It's a great time and we are lucky to have that as a venue.

I look forward to meeting you.

Enjoy that car and drive safe.

--Jeff
    Last edited by Vprbite; 10-25-2015 at 12:38 AM.

Enthusiast
    CONGRATS! and yes, join the club as soon as you have the VIN number of your car.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for your thoughtful post Leadfoot! Love and hate, that's good with me-just don't bore me. And from your post, I will not be bored with the Viper! LOL Too bad about the color, you are one of the lucky ones, that sapphire blue is the perfect color. Nice! It surprises me the stereo is lacking, from it's appearance it looks like it would rock the house. As far as burning your calves, that's OK with me, it tells you your alive and warns you of the danger the car offers. Thanks for your insights LF!
    Bored is not a word that you will associate with the Viper. Ever.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadfootRT10 View Post
    CONGRATS! and yes, join the club as soon as you have the VIN number of your car.
    We really are fortunate to have the great group of people out here that we do. I still can't figure out why they let me in. But we do have cool people from all walks of life and age groups and we have a lot of events. We really are a great region to be a part of. And the tech mentioned above, Eddie Martin, is one of the most respected in the country.

We look forward to meeting you.

Enthusiast
    Tulsa? .... That's only 1000 miles! Be a great way to get comfortable with your new Viper. Congrats!

Enthusiast
    I flew in to Tulsa with the intent to drive it home. The weather would not cooperate and I did not want to drive my new 500HP car 1000 miles in the rain. Am I a chicken, perhaps! With only 2000 miles on the odometer, perhaps the cosmos stepped in and did me right. I am waiting for Reliable Car Carriers to get her home to me safely What did Tom Petty sing, "the waiting is the hardest part!"

Enthusiast
    He also said "into the great wide open"

So drive that thing! Freeway cruising is a real joy in a Viper. Though not so much in the rain. Especially on old tires and with old wipers. I finally replaced mine. Not that I ever really use them but just in case. Mine flopped around like spaghetti. Luckily Rain-X works pretty damn well on our windshield. Especially at speed. Really though I hope it gets to you in time for our drive on nov 14

Enthusiast
    I officially joined the club today, now if I had the car in my garage life would be so grand.

Enthusiast
    Congrats and Welcome Cargirl! Look forward to having you and the new toy with us soon.

Enthusiast
    I officially joined the club today, now if I had the car in my garage life would be so grand.
    Welcome!

Enthusiast
    I have had the car less than a week now and if I could describe it in one word it would be "AMAZING." Maybe I should check that for a vanity plate. My guess is that what I am about to say can be said by all of you reading this but: if you were to task a car company with building a car and told them exactly what you wanted down to the last detail, they would have built this car for you. I do not think I will ever see or read about anything that is more perfect than my new car, it is a reflection of everything I have ever loved about cars.