VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida

Data logging on a GEN 2?

I was looking at pulling some data from the car while driving. Specifically OBDII data logging. I can do it with the 2010 Charger but I don't know if we can with the Gen2's. I am looking to pull things like Speed, RPM, etc.

I was looking to use something like the Kiwi OBDII Bluetooth Data Logger. Do those of you that track the car use anything like this?
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

ViperGTS
    I used a data logger sold by Roe many years ago - it worked!

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    I use Palmer Engineering software. PCMSCAN. Works with a laptop. I also use an Innovate LM-2 which includes a wideband O2 sensor. Both will log any of the OBD PID's. Both have very different data presentation formats. You need to decide what you are going to do with the data you collect to determine what devise or software you need. I used the Palmer Engineering software to map the fuel tables for base table development. The Innovate is now being used for all of the fuel enrichment functions like Tip-In and WOT. This data I collect is sent to someone that will use it to make tuning updates via the SCT ProRacer software. I have that software too, but at this point am choosing not to write my own tune files. Many do tho.

By the way, ODB data has absolutely nothing to do with tracking a car or not. It is present in every US vehicle built since 1996.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Dave...

I asked about the track guys simply because I assumed they were the most likely to be data logging. I am aware that OBDII was in US Autos since the mid 90's but not all cars provide the same parameters. I would imagine that the 2010 Charger SRT8 has more parameters available than does the Viper.

What I was looking to find out is what Parameters ID's can be read. Do we have speed, RPM, Throttle position, brake line pressure, etc. I am not looking for data to program the PCM or alter the fuel map. I am looking to log the speed, throttle positions, braking, etc. during the drive on a course.

More specifically I am looking to use a system that provides me a CSV file. The data file will then be used to overlay onto video files. I want to use the files with an overlay rending system similar to RaceRender. If I cannot get that info from the OBD, then I'll have to rely on GPS which will not be as accurate. An OBDII Logger like the Kiwi is an option I was looking into because it would allow me to log onto the cell phone.

Bottom line...

Will something like this be able to pull the available PID's from the Viper. I would assume the answer is yes.

http://www.amazon.com/PLX-Devices-Bl...luetooth+obdii

If so, is there anybody that could give me the info of what PIDs are there for the Viper? I ask because if there is nothing worth getting from the device, then I'll go another route.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Any logging devise will be able to read all the PID's. There are 57 for my '01. Sorry, but I'm not going to type all 57 of them for you lol.

There is no brake line pressure on a Gen 2 because there is no brake line pressure transducer. ABS measures wheel rpm of course but is not output and read by the devise you are considering. That is likely a DRB function.

Regarding "track guys" and data logging I have never in the 8 years I've had my Viper heard that correlation. People log for tuning any time I've heard of it, which is as I've stated my use for it.

I just looked at my Palmer Engineering software. It will export to CSV with a nice export setup menu. Don't know about the one you are looking at tho.

Enthusiast
    Dave's world is pretty distant from people who track their cars.

Luis, early OBD II cars don't log as much data or as fast as cars newer than ~2008. I use a Motec C125 dash that plugs into the OBD port and while I can read all the parameters of newer cars, early OBD II cars don't always work with this system and if they do the logging rate is pretty much useless for RPM or oil pressure because of how slow they log and usually these early cars dont have a TPS. Modern cars really are great.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Dave.... I log pass data all the time at the track with the Charger. I also use the data streaming from the OBD on the 2010 Charger. In particular, I have pillar gauges on it (it is supercharged) that run off the OBD monitoring the car constantly. When daily driving I use more mundane information such as actual percentage fuel level to give me a second warning light when levels drop below 15% to "pre-warn" me of the level. At the track I have shift lights (the gauges have programable LED's) so I can have it give me a shift light at WOT and 5000 RPM..... for example. I have another light to warn of a too lean an A/F. Etc. OBD data is used all the time. Obviously, we log to program PCM's as well. Hence the reasoning to ask the guys that track their cars because I have not gotten to the point of needing to do that with it. Granted, this is not for that and more for a Video.... but still....

Stuntman... Thanks. I had not thought about the data rate. Good point because the real time monitoring on the more modern cars. On the Throttle Position.... I assumed we would not have that since the throttle was mechanical on the Gen2. I did not know if there was a position sensor that was read through the OBD....

I'll see what I can dig up....
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida

Enthusiast
    You can data log the throttle position with no issues. The gen 2 data logging will be super simple stuff like the RPM,speed,MAP pressure,coolant temp,TP,02 sensor voltage, fuel additives. Things like fuel level,fuel pressure,oil pressure, gear selection are not going to be logged on the stock PCM. The data rate sucks so I'm doubtful you'll have any benefit on the track logging the stock PCM.