Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

STOLEN: 2002 Dodge Viper GTS - Henderson NV - Las Vegas

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the incorrect forum, if so mods can you please relocate it to the correct one.

My 2002 Dodge Viper GTS was stolen this evening by a young white male in his 20's. Had tattoo's on his left hand (Looked like an H or R) on his right hand (Looked like a S or $) and left wrist(Louis Vuitton print tattoo - seriously?). Quick summary - we went on a test drive and closed the deal, we proceeded back to my house to count the cash and sign the paperwork. I ran out to the garage while my girlfriend was printing out the bill of sale. He snatched the keys, ran out the door and sped off in the car. All authorities have been contacted, any help from my fellow viper enthusiasts would be great. Please see details and pictures below.

2002 Dodge Viper GTS 263/500 Final Edition
    Red/White stripes
    Black/red seats
    Stock except for muffler delete
    Front bumper on driver side had a small chunk missing
    CA License plate 7GYX603
    VIN: 1B3ER69E02V102693

Any info please give me a call at 925-354-3622

Last edited by stolen2002GTS; 06-06-2015 at 10:00 AM.

STOLEN: 2002 Dodge Viper GTS - Henderson NV (Las Vegas)

I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the incorrect forum, if so mods can you please relocate it to the correct one.

My 2002 Dodge Viper GTS was stolen this evening by a young white male in his 20's. Had tattoo's on his left (Looked like an H or R) an right hands (Looked like a S or $) and left wrist(Louis Vuitton print tatto- seriously?). Quick summary - we went on a test drive and closed the deal, we proceeded back to my house to count the cash and sign the paperwork. I ran out to the garage while my girlfriend was printing out the bill of sale. He snatched the keys, ran out the door and sped off in the car. All authorities have been contacted, any help from my fellow viper enthusiasts would be great. Please see details and pictures below.

Red/White stripes
    Black/red seats
    CA License plate 7GYX603

Any info please give me a call at 925-354-3622

Enthusiast
    WTF!!!! Really? What a son of a Bitch. Did he say where he was from prior to closing the deal (where he worked or who he knew), do you have a contact number or email address?

How did he find you? Were you advertising the car on eBay or something? You might be able to make a claim?

Did he take the cash too? You said you were counting it? Did he get the title?

Also posted this on Viper Alley for you.
    Last edited by Fatboy 18; 06-06-2015 at 03:39 AM.

Enthusiast
    WTF!!!! Really? What a son of a Bitch. Did he say where he was from prior to closing the deal (where he worked or who he knew), do you have a contact number or email address?

How did he find you? Were you advertising the car on eBay or something? You might be able to make a claim?

Did he take the cash too? You said you were counting it? Did he get the title?

Also posted this on Viper Alley for you.

I did not get any of the cash as he bolted before we started to count. He said his name was Ryan however that is probably fake. I do have texts with him but both the cops and I believe it's a burner phone. He did not get the title, it is now in police hands as he handled it just seconds before he stole the car and they are going to try and lift a print. I believe he was a Las Vegas local as he knew his way around North Vegas and certain landmarks/areas that tourists would not know. Car was advertised on Craigslist. The guy didn't seem so bright as to be a professional (then again he got the car) seemed almost like he would be the type to steal it and joyride which I'm hoping is the case.

Only thing that could be a lead - he made up a story saying he wanted a Viper because his mom had one before she passed away. He said he still has her old on which was wrecked and he hoped one day it'd be road worthy again. This story could be completely false or could be somewhat true as he bought a rebuilder and is planning on swapping the parts over.

I did not get any of the cash as he bolted before we started to count. He said his name was Ryan however that is probably fake. I do have texts with him but both the cops and I believe it's a burner phone. He did not get the title, it is now in police hands as he handled it just seconds before he stole the car and they are going to try and lift a print. I believe he was a Las Vegas local as he knew his way around North Vegas and certain landmarks/areas that tourists would not know. Car was advertised on Craigslist. The guy didn't seem so bright as to be a professional (then again he got the car) seemed almost like he would be the type to steal it and joyride which I'm hoping is the case.

Only thing that could be a lead - he made up a story saying he wanted a Viper because his mom had one before she passed away. He said he still has her old on which was wrecked and he hoped one day it'd be road worthy again. This story could be completely false or could be somewhat true as he bought a rebuilder and is planning on swapping the parts over.

Enthusiast
    This could be a good "Corvette Summer" remake....but all joking aside, hopefully the police put the description of the car out to all the area agencies as that car will be difficult to move without someone noticing it.

If I were you, I would see if the local news stations would take on the story. It's a very unusual way to have a very unusual car stolen.....I'm betting they'd run with it and someone watching had to have seen where that prick drove it.

Enthusiast
    This could be a good "Corvette Summer" remake....but all joking aside, hopefully the police put the description of the car out to all the area agencies as that car will be difficult to move without someone noticing it.

If I were you, I would see if the local news stations would take on the story. It's a very unusual way to have a very unusual car stolen.....I'm betting they'd run with it and someone watching had to have seen where that prick drove it.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Unreal!

There is always hope. Quick story, about 4 years ago I had some camera equipment and ipads stolen from my car in front of my house. $14K worth of gear, it was pro photo gear. I went into my home and two kids, going house to house checking cars found the stuff in the car and stole it. We were geting ready to go to a car show that morning and at 7:00AM I got back from getting gas and came in to tell the wife it was time to go. When I came back out 5 min later (we have them on video so timeline was real) they had gotten to my car and the driver door was unlocked.

To not make this a 10 page post. My wife and I (not the police) found the camera gear for sale a month later on craigslist. We bought a burner phone, set up a bogus email address not traceable to us and chatted with the person selling the gear. We notified police. When I spoke to the police detective and told them we found my camera the detective interrupts me with "allegedly my camera". I said "no detective... I have them dead to rights as they photographed the camera for me to see and the serial number is clearly visible, it is MY CAMERA". He then proceeded to ask me to setup a meeting to purchase the camera sometime from Monday to Friday, during the day, because they don't work weekends. I shit you not. I can't make this up.

Ultimately they police met with the seller and arrested him. The person was the kids step father who had 5 fingered it from the kids because he wanted the cash. The biological mother was in the car waiting outside the coffee shop were we setup the meet and they arrested her as well. The two kids were also arrested later when the two parents pointed the finger at them for the theft. In the end, I got every piece of equipment recovered for the insurance company (they had paid us already, so they own it if it is recovered) and all the police did was show up to make the arrest.

In the end... your car is FAR more difficult to move. I would lean towards you getting it back. They could not even part that thing out... the Viper community is too small.... who the hell would buy parts like that....

I will keep my fingers crossed for ya! ... and if they catch the bastard.... nail him, press all charges you can.... go to the trail and mention the stress and fear you now have about the process and how you are forever scarred by it.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    Copied thread in Nevada region forum
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2022 BMW X5M Comp
    Resident Misanthrope

Thanks for the help guys, I'm also going to be reaching out to the news stations today.

Enthusiast
    Seriously heartbreaking.

If really want this to be ok. I have seen these things go both ways. I had a friend who got his jeep back twice and both times it was within miles of his house from where they had stolen it.

When my brother had his 350z in 2006 or so he had a really nice custom stereo in it and it was found soon after it was stolen with the stereo still there but the headliner and door panels removed like they were looking for something stashed in there. He is a neonatologist, so no there was no reason for people to suspect he had anything in there like a drug dealer or something. Often times these people are not that bright or ambitious, which is why they are criminals. If they are real pros, then the thing is already on its way to Mexico or China or Australia and it's an insurance matter.

It absolutely sucks though and and I feel awful that you have to deal with this. Best of luck. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

Also, in my experience with news stations, they don't know a thing about Vipers. So tell them the sticker price on the car, not what you are selling it for, and tell them it was a numbered addition out of 350 (pretty sure the 2002 FE cars were out of 350, not 500) making it much more collectible than even a standard Viper and therefor irreplaceable. It will get their attention and make a reporter more apt to really put their heart into it. Also, pull on their heart strings and say you had other offers but you were only taking this kids offer because of the story he fed you. Yeah I know it's not super ethical but fuck it, he stole your car. Gloves come off now,
    Last edited by Vprbite; 06-06-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Enthusiast
    Go on a walk/drive around your neighborhood IMMEDIATELY and look for businesses with cameras. He had to drive by something, maybe, just maybe, they can make him out.

My first reaction was WTF!?!?!, I can't believe someone would try that. What a piece of shit.

Enthusiast
    Also, start a Google alert with your VIN # or other keywords that might be used if someone puts it up online for sale. That's not too likely, but these people are not that bright and it's worth a shot.

We do have camera footage of him at the Albertsons that we met at, the cops are working on figuring out who dropped him off. Also I just put this up last night:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5060737057.html

And four hours later there was this reply, I'm trying to get ahold of an officer so that they can trace the IP address. They seem dumb enough to make a post like this:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5060823861.html

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stolen2002GTS View Post
    And four hours later there was this reply, I'm trying to get ahold of an officer so that they can trace the IP address. They seem dumb enough to make a post like this:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/5060823861.html
    Probably thought twice about it....what did it say??

"This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)"

It said "This man is only scamming his insurance company. He still has the car. Do not trust him"

Literally makes no sense....how am I scamming if I am offering a reward to find my car?

Also FYI guys - I'm an avid member in the corvette forum community, sorry never ventured over here much.

If anyone is ever halfway serious about buying, or even test driving, you should get them to produce a driver's license and you take a photo of the person and the license with your cell phone, and also one of the ride they came in on.

Sorry for the hassle with the low lifes.

The cops really don't put much of a priority in property theft unless it blows up (escalates on social media or physically).

Enthusiast
    It said "This man is only scamming his insurance company. He still has the car. Do not trust him"

Literally makes no sense....how am I scamming if I am offering a reward to find my car?
    The CL post was probably just a typical Craigslist troll, same as you might find on a car forum, who just likes to see conspiracy/subterfuge in everything; or it could have been the perp.

Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    The CL post was probably just a typical Craigslist troll, same as you might find on a car forum, who just likes to see conspiracy/subterfuge in everything; or it could have been the perp.
    Worth a shot for police to look into and to pull the IP. Once I updated the craigslist ad with a more accurate description of the person and more details is when it was deleted shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    That's what I was thinking too.

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Red/White stripes
    Black/red seats
    CA License plate 7GYX603
    Quote Originally Posted by Vprbite View Post
    ....tell them it was a numbered addition out of 350 (pretty sure the 2002 FE cars were out of 350, not 500) making it much more collectible than even a standard Viper and therefor irreplaceable.
    There were actually 360 Final Editions made. So yes... irreplaceable.

If you can, I would fill in the details at feviper.com It is the Final Edition Viper registry site. Worth listing.

Your car was, supposedly, originally sold by a dealer in Idaho and delivered to the owner in Texas. It was later resold in 2003.

It may not be a bad idea to register it there. A potential buyer may check the site... you never know.

Good luck
    Last edited by Luisv; 06-06-2015 at 04:45 PM.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorps View Post
    The cops really don't put much of a priority in property theft unless it blows up (escalates on social media or physically).
    I don't know about that....most police departments are pretty aggressive when it comes to auto thefts as opposed to other "property" crimes.

Once again appreciate the help and support from you guys! I'll keep this thread updated as more details come in.

You should post this on the other sub forums as well (general, Gen III and Gen V)....many, including myself, don't go on this section very often but if you post your pictures of your car info in the other sections, you never know who may see or hear about your car

Good luck with getting it back
    Last edited by commandomatt; 06-06-2015 at 07:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast