Threaded View

Enthusiast

DIY Breather System from AC Performance

The reason I created this thread is to detail a DIY for installing AC Performance's Breather system, the reasons why I selected Todd's system, my specific needs, etc. in hopes that it will help members make an informed decision should they decide to undertake this modification. These DIY's are time consuming and the write ups take longer than actually installing this system. I don't mind taking the time to help members that are genuinely interested in these topics but if folks want to stir the pot bashing "quality" and price then you all can kiss my ass and I'll keep the write-up for myself. It's your call. If you have something of value to add to this DIY, post it.

Part I

History

Whether or not one requires a catch can, breather system, air/oil separator or "puke tanks" depends on each Viper's situation and needs. With forced induction and larger NA builds catch cans are almost always must. With increased compression, higher boost levels blow-by can increase causing oil and oil vapors making their way into the intake system degrading fuel octane, possible detonation issues, etc. Some Viper engines have more blow-by then others. This breather system is overkill on a stock Viper engine. In my particular case, I became concerned about this topic when I removed my intake a few years ago in order to install a lower temp t-stat. At the time, I found oil in the intake runners and it peaked my interest. As I researching and consulted with folks on the matter I began to learn more about the PCV/CCV system particularly on my '01 Viper. Considering that, at the time, the oil found was "normal" and I wasn't boosting and had a relatively stock motor, I let it go. Last year, however, when I underwent my Creampuff build with Greg Good goodies I found that my intake was disgustingly caked with grime and oil residue. So much so that the wash tank at my powder coater turned pitch black from the cleaning process. It was at that time that I wanted to trace the problem or at the very least make an improvement in the system. I traced the source of oil from my Crank Case ventilation or "CCV Orifice" atop of the engine block. This connection contains a metered fitting that ties into the intake. So I installed a CCV Air/Oil Seperator. It worked very well and I captured 2-3oz of oil between oil changes. On my last tracking outing at NJMP, I caught 6oz of oil after 8 track sessions over two days. It did it's job well but after removing the intake I still found traces of oil in the intake runners although it was much less then before.

My goal was/is to completely catch any oil from making it's way into the intake and for this to occur I decided I needed to catch the valve covers as well. Before installing another can I did some research and was led to Todd @ AC Performance. Todd had already proved himself to me by tuning my Viper, exceptional customer service and earned more business from me. His breather system has everything I was looking for and met the following requirements:

• Eliminates the need for the CCV hookup to the intake
    • Catches oil from the optimal location on the top of the valve covers
    • Uses one tank
    • Well thought out and proven based on customer feedback/experience
    • Doesn't look like a jury-rigged hillbilly system
    • Can be modified
    • Complete package/High Quality

Diagnostics

Before jumping into a breather, I decided to perform a compression and leak-down test. The purpose of these tests was to determine if my engine had more serious issues with blow by, valve seals, leaks, etc. If these problems persisted a breather system was not going to solve much of anything. With a warm engine, my compression readings ranged from 192 - 200psi with one cylinder reading 186psi. The leakdown test showed an average difference of 4% between cylinders. Satisfied my engine was healthy I moved on to the breather system.

The Completed Install

BreatherInstallFinished.jpg

The AC Performance breather system installs proprietary fittings on top of each valve cover as can be seen above. Yes, if you decide to install this system you will need to drill into your valve covers. If this makes you squeemish, stop here and don't read on as Part II of the write up will get into the gory details of drilling valve covers.

The hose from the driver's side valve cover snakes it's way under the throttle bodies to the passenger side connection. As will be shown in PartII, I capped my CCV connection and eliminated the CCV to Intake connection. The hose from the driver's side fits in nicely and almost disappears under the TB's.

BreatherTBs.jpg

On the passenger side, both hoses (Passenger/Driver Valve Covers) come together to what I call a junction point using fittings supplied in the package. I should mention that all hoses are measured and come assembled with fittings cut to length. There's no need to cut or splice anything with this system:

JunctionPoint.jpg

Bling Alert: I know that for a very long time I never hesitated to mock someone's white hood vents and shiny things in an engine bay that serve no purpose other than "bling" effect would cause me aneurysms. However, I can mock these folks no more because I now have a very beautiful piece of art in engine bay, Todd's custom, baffled and polished catch tank:

BreatherTankKN.jpg

Here's another view of the tank without the breather and lines tucked away neatly:

DSC066991.JPG

Last edited by ViperTony; 06-03-2015 at 07:52 PM.