Enthusiast

1957 pre-GoPro in car film - Bridgehampton Race Circuit

I just ran across this footage of the opening day of SCCA racing at the new Bridgehampton Race Circuit in 1957.

Taken with a small 8mm Eumig camera. Fun to see 58 year old amateur racing from a driver perspective. As fun as it is today, and that track looks really exciting.

There are 2 segments of in-car footage. Here is the video cued up to the start of the first segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnT4...youtu.be&t=118

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    That was a fun watch! Thanks for posting. I SO remember the uphill double apex righthander leading to the straight ... which went on forever. And then the downhill righthander which left stains in my shorts.

The Bridge always had a nice breeze (sometimes too much breeze) off the Peconic Bay. Beautiful LONG and FAST track to drive.
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2022 BMW X5M Comp
    Resident Misanthrope

Wow! Nice post! I wonder if the play back speed is correct or if its sped up a bit. Either way I love that corner that appears to be partially sand covered.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Wow! Nice post! I wonder if the play back speed is correct or if its sped up a bit. Either way I love that corner that appears to be partially sand covered.
    I noticed that it seemed faster than what my GoPro videos feel like; but, it does make it feel like the speed it really is. I'm usually underwhelmed by my own videos.

Enthusiast
    Awesome vid
    Thanks for sharing...
    It looks better some some common era in car vids I've seen.

That is a fantastic video, what a great location for a track....not sure about the sand though.

Racing in the 50's....when your skin was your fire suit, lol.