Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Quote Originally Posted by AviP View Post
    But what are the design improvements?
    Did you miss the part about you will have to call them and ask?

Enthusiast
    Can’t we just call you? You seem lonely.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Nope. Just wondering why you don't want to share on a forum.

I hope some of those improvements are with the boot fitments. Think that would have been my only complaint with them.

Enthusiast
    My understanding from a brief chat with Bobby is lower friction design, improved access to grease zerks. Boots may be an additional mod.

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    My understanding from a brief chat with Bobby is lower friction design, improved access to grease zerks. Boots may be an additional mod.
    That sounds familiar but I wasn't paying close enough attention to go on record stating that. Yes the boots are included in the kits now and he said they are now better than the factory boot. I do remember that part.

Couple of questions for anybody in the know. Did the generation two owners manual state that you needed a complete upper Control arm instead of replacing the screw in ball joint? The generation five owners manual states that you need a complete new control arm if the ball joint goes bad. I’m just wondering if you could use these ball joints in the generation five viper control arm. Currently there is no left upper control arm available.
    Last edited by LuvSpeed; 12-18-2021 at 08:40 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvSpeed View Post
    Couple of questions for anybody in the know. Did the generation two owners manual state that you needed a complete upper Control arm instead of replacing the screw in ball joint? The generation five owners manual states that you need a complete new control alarm if the ball joint goes bad. I’m just wondering if you could use these ball joints in the generation five viper control arm. Currently there is no left upper control arm available.
    To check fitment you could buy the common k778 joint that Chrysler used back to the 50's. Rockauto has them for <$10.

Enthusiast
    I don't think you were supposed to be able to service the upper ball joints of the Gen 2s either - but people do it.

Enthusiast
    I know the k778 ball joint screws right into a Gen3 control arm.

I installed the Howe ball joints on my 01. Impact gun made it easy. Make sure you thread them in straight, seemed like you could cross thread if not careful.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lisekplx View Post
    I installed the Howe ball joints on my 01. Impact gun made it easy. Make sure you thread them in straight, seemed like you could cross thread if not careful.
    This is good advice, make sure it's square before driving it home.

Enthusiast
    I don't think you were supposed to be able to service the upper ball joints of the Gen 2s either - but people do it.
    They are not "serviceable" because Mopar never sold the ball joint separately. The stock ball joint seemed to be galvanized steel in an aluminum control arm and solves the issue of galvanic corrosion. All aftermarket ball joints are just steel. Use a good corrosion inhibitor to prevent the dissimilar metals from seizing internally. I used this product. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks all for the above advice. I will go ahead and service mine.

Enthusiast
    FYI it's kind of stretching the marketing drama a bit to call antiseize products, corrosion inhibitors. Yes, while they are still there they do have some positive effect, but here are some things that antiseizes aren't but corrosion inhibitors and barriors are:

1) Antiseize is not permanent. It can and will wash out over time. Enough of the metallic residue will get left behind to have some thread lubricating effect, but that leads directly to bullet point two.

2) Corrosion inhibitors have to prevent things from touching each other on a molecular level. Platings and coatings can do that, but not powdered metal mixed with grease. Which is all the antiseizes are. A blend of metal and grease and when the grease washes away you have this trace film of metal that is just enough to allow disassembly later.

Sooooo... for a final talking point. The Howe joints are also not a bare steel finish.

Enthusiast
    Agree on your points but unless someone is selling a galvanized ball joint, I don't see a better option. Similar corrosion inhibitors have been used in the aviation industry where aluminum is commonly used in frames with non-aluminum components.

Agree on the Howe joints not being a bare finish. Do you know what the finish is? Or do I need to call someone?

Enthusiast
    How much for the Howe ones?

Enthusiast
    Just a little either side of $170/EACH!

One may wish to strongly consider the value/economics of OE replacements vs race quality adjustable pieces. A single unit vs all 8 including boots for less money.
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 12-23-2021 at 07:18 AM.

Enthusiast
    Just a little either side of $170/pair.
    That's per each not per pair. So it's 8 x ~$170. They are also owner rebuildable and adustable. Yes, adjustable ball joints.

Enthusiast
    I figured as a company on fb is selling them for 168 and 175 each that they state developed with howe.

Enthusiast
    Just an FYI - the price on these has DOUBLED since I bought lowers this past summer direct from Howe. I paid $185 for a PAIR. The Viper tax is back.

Enthusiast
    Just an FYI - the price on these has DOUBLED since I bought lowers this past summer direct from Howe. I paid $185 for a PAIR. The Viper tax is back.
    A little dramatic there Dean. Everything has gone up. All things cost more. Are $8 2x4s Viper Tax too? Is $50 plywood related to ball joint prices? No. Things cost money.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    A little dramatic there Dean. Everything has gone up. All things cost more. Are $8 2x4s Viper Tax too? Is $50 plywood related to ball joint prices? No. Things cost money.
    Yes related as your front splitter just increased in price.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by goggles Pizano View Post
    Yes related as your front splitter just increased in price.
    Just when I thought you couldn't make a stupider post.

I'll be sure and let Autoform know your jealousy of their products is a life problem of yours. Seller beware?

Enthusiast
    Has anyone tried/compared a gen 5 lower ball joint for a gen 2? Part number is 5290860AA. The Howe are really nice, just completely overkill for me...Especially considering the price. Also, what is the issue with the Moog K778 for the uppers? Sorry to revive an old thread, but will be going through my suspension soon.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast