Question Pre-purchase Inspection Findings

Hello all, first post on here.

I am in the market for a generation 3 and recently had a pre-purchase inspection done on an 04 with roughly 30K miles, 1 owner.
    The findings include a leaking front left shock that needs replacement (they quoted 1300 but VPA has for much less than that)
    Tires are worn out and would not pass a state inspection
    This car dropped the crankshaft bolt at 11k miles and had arrow rebuild the motor and crankshaft while it was still under warranty.
    The viper tech also said that the transmission was stiffer than normal and if it got any stiffer it would be almost undriveable. I have only driven one viper(not this one, I am out of state) and it was stiffer than other cars but no problem at all. But if a viper tech says it is stiff I would think he knows what he is talking about and could only recommend a rebuild as a possible solution. The car did drive and shift gears however and he said it could stay the way it is and not get any worse. Possible it was damaged when the bolt was lost but not enough to replace the transmission.

The asking price was 39K, they were willing to go to 37.5K. I turned it down due to the potential transmission issue but had seconds thoughts and decided to post it up on here to get more opinions on what a "good" price would be on a car with these potential issues that need repair.

Thanks!

Stiffer transmission??? Does it shift into gear hard or grind? Does the shifter move like it has a lot of resistance? Maybe he has an MGW shifter that makes it seem stiffer to this Tech.
    Shock leak is normal and can be fixed cheap, tires are too old even if they were good still so that would have to be done anyway.

What did all the fluids look like to the Tech? were they fresh or black? fluid changes in the transmission can also affect its performance.
    Last edited by mjorgensen; 11-20-2013 at 12:35 PM.

He said it moved with a lot of resistance. Even when in neutral and just trying to shift it left to right without putting it into gear. I think the car went into gear just fine, but I would have to re-ask him. His words were that it just did not feel right. I also thought that the transmission fluid might need to be changed and that may help but he did not even discuss that and I forgot to ask him.

Car is stock, no short shifter.

Did he even talk about the fluids condition? That will say a lot about how the car was maintained. If the clutch and P/S fluid are horrible then chances are the rest are just as bad...

They said all fluids looked decent, not black at all. They were changed in '08. Maintenance record actually looks pretty good. Always dealer maintained.

ViperGTS
    Quote Originally Posted by KYsnake View Post
    They said all fluids looked decent, not black at all. They were changed in '08. Maintenance record actually looks pretty good. Always dealer maintained.
    5 years ago? Fluids? Changed? I would run...

This was done in '08 at 21k miles:
    Maintenance inspection completed
    Power steering fluid flushed/changed
    Steering/suspension checked
    Cooling system checked
    Antifreeze/coolant checked
    Exhaust system checked
    State safety inspection completed
    Oil and filter changed
    Brakes checked
    Transmission fluid changed
    Body lubricated

Rear diff was done in 06.

Generally all maintenance was done on time, oil changes done every 3000 miles or so

Enthusiast
    Fluids should be changed every three years. Whether they "Look good" or not. Advice from the VIper wizaed. If you track the car changed after every track day they say.

Bold responses below to help hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by KYsnake View Post
    This was done in '08 at 21k miles:
    Maintenance inspection completed
    Power steering fluid flushed/changed
    Steering/suspension checked
    Cooling system checked
    Antifreeze/coolant checked
    Exhaust system checked
    State safety inspection completed
    Oil and filter changed
    Brakes checked (fluids should be changed in a Viper at least once every 1-2 years minimum)
    Transmission fluid changed (may have used the wrong fluid? possible shifting problem?)
    Body lubricated

Rear diff was done in 06. (Diff fluid can get burnt easy because of the heat generated from all the torque a Viper has so it should be at least checked each oil change and probably serviced every 2nd to 3rd oil change unless it is tracked)

Nothing about the clutch fluid? it is the fastest deteriorating fluid in a Viper because of the small volume and huigh heat it sees. Should be blead/changed probably every other oil change. This really affects shifting also so I'm amazed it is not included in the records or his report.

Generally all maintenance was done on time, oil changes done every 3000 miles or so

ViperGTS
    you dont drive a Viper for 9k (30-21) miles in 5 (2013-2008) years and dont do maintenance, except you dont care/know better...btw, forget vpoa...all as good advise meant

Thanks for the replies! I definitely still have more to learn. I'm glad I passed on this one.

Enthusiast
    Well at least you are on the right track by having an inspection, there are enough good cars out there available, might consider including the classifieds here on this site as one of your resources. Good Luck!

The shocks leaking is unfortunately pretty common. On the tranny, I guess I'd have to drive it myself. If he's used to driving the 606's lately, then the 56 is going to feel stiff and notchy. The Arrow rebuild is actually a GOOD thing. The Viper is probably the only car where having a factory engine rebuild is a positive thing. In my eyes anyway.

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada
    Any car that is underpriced will always have issues. Thus the price. If you looking at saving some money, then you will have to deal with the qwirks. Depending on the price and the cost of the qwirks, you weigh them out and see if it makes sense. Otherwise, you look for another. Deals are out there right now with the change of seasons and the Gen 5 out looking for new owners.
    Weigh out your options and go from there.

I bought my 03 with 23,000 miles on it, she now has about 31,000. Every year at state inspection, I've had my tech do a different fluid, everything has now been changed out once except for the transmission and P/S, which I'll probably have done this May. First time in many years on the Viper forums that I've ever seen a recommendation for the clutch fluid so often. Mine was done about 8000 miles ago, so I guess it's time. She shifts and clutches fine (knock wood!).