Enthusiast

Kill switch install in Gen 4?

I'm going to participate in the Time Attack Challenge and they want a kill switch in the car.

Does anybody know where the ignition wire is that should be connected with the kill switch?

Enthusiast
    Thanks Drew.

I've got the same switch.
    Want to install it under the hood (or trunk) and use a T-Handle pull cable outside the car. That's required by regulation.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heysie View Post
    I'm going to participate in the Time Attack Challenge and they want a kill switch in the car.

Does anybody know where the ignition wire is that should be connected with the kill switch?
    Contact Tom Francis, he can probably get you the setup used in the X's

Enthusiast
    Something to consider for placement. On my old car (2001 Cobra). I had placed my switch in the tail light lens, reverse light socket. I had cut the backing up to just fit my switch. It was a single pole and was a break on the positive side to starter, and main fuse distribution block. I don't know if there is enough room on the rear of the Viper to make one work though.

Enthusiast
    *****a bit off topic I know but for those of you who listen to Adam Carolla*****

He talked about this in his book. But he lived in a terrible neighborhood in LA and he knew his car was going to get stolen. Kill switches were all the rage in the late 80s and early 90s and thieves knew to look for them when the car wouldn't start. So what he did was wire a kill switch into the fuel pump. So that way there was just enough fuel in the carb to get you about a block or two and then it would die out. The thief would figure the car had run out of gas and ditch it. So in the mornings when his car wasn't where he parked it, he could just walk around a few blocks and find it. Supposedly it happened a couple times when he was working construction. (Work trucks obviously get stolen more than many other types of cars). He would wake up, find the car gone and only end up a few minutes late to work because of the ordeal. Pretty clever.

Sorry for the sidebar, just thought it was kinda funny and worth sharing.

Enthusiast
    If a kill switch is wanted in the car, I would consider that an emergency Kill switch. In that case, you will need to use a 12VDC solenoid that supplies power to the main power block in the engine compartment. It can be fused with a 5 amp fuse and should be series wired through a kill switch in the cockpit and another outside the car for access by a track worker. The intent is to kill power to all systems in the event of an accident to reduce the chances of an electrically induced fire. It is very simple to do. The hardest part is the penetration into the cabin to run wires. Look for the schematic used on the Viper Competition Coupe.

Enthusiast
    If a kill switch is wanted in the car, I would consider that an emergency Kill switch. In that case, you will need to use a 12VDC solenoid that supplies power to the main power block in the engine compartment. It can be fused with a 5 amp fuse and should be series wired through a kill switch in the cockpit and another outside the car for access by a track worker. The intent is to kill power to all systems in the event of an accident to reduce the chances of an electrically induced fire. It is very simple to do. The hardest part is the penetration into the cabin to run wires. Look for the schematic used on the Viper Competition Coupe.

Here is a picture of mine.

fuse box.jpg