Enthusiast

Bellanger install questions

I recently bought a set of used Bellanger headers for my Gen3 from a guy here on the board. It is going to be a good winter project while it is sitting in hibernation. Looking for recommended parts I should get for the install.

-I will need headers gaskets, will stock ones be good?

-Bolts for the headers, reuse stock or get aftermarket? Locking bolts?

-What do I use at the the flanges for gaskets?

-I am adding high flow cats to the pipes. O2 extensions needed? I also see people adding spark plug anti fowlers.

Any other reccomendations?

Stock gaskets, o2 extensions, if your using Belanger high flo cats plug the hole for the downstream o2 and add a o2 bung in the collector with the upstream o2 installed there, also us the extensions in the header bung with the downstream o2s it won't set a check engine code and you won't have the hassle of the downstream o2 melting the wires behind the cat and you can replace o2s without removing the exhaust cover. Use your factory manifold heat shield with the headers stomp on them and that flattens them out so you can use them with the bellangers. I didn't install heat shields first and was doing some higher RPMs with low mph on a skip barber track at road Atlanta and melted the wiring harness in the engine compartment so I added the heat shields and haven't had any problems since. Bolts for the manifolds are a little longer I believe for the headers and I used my factory locking washer. High temp silicon between connections except between the exhaust manifold and header.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pony23 View Post
    I recently bought a set of used Bellanger headers for my Gen3 from a guy here on the board. It is going to be a good winter project while it is sitting in hibernation. Looking for recommended parts I should get for the install.

-I will need headers gaskets, will stock ones be good?
    Mopar Part # 05037195AC are the ones I used
    -Bolts for the headers, reuse stock or get aftermarket? Locking bolts?
    I reused my OEMs
    -What do I use at the the flanges for gaskets?
    I think this is what I used: Permatex/Hi-temp RTV silicone gasket maker
    -I am adding high flow cats to the pipes. O2 extensions needed? I also see people adding spark plug anti fowlers.
    It is recommended. I had the rear O2 codes removed with my SCT on my last car, so I just zip tied my rear O2 sensors away from the exhasut. On my current car with ARH, the rear 02s are zip tied away from the exhaust and the CEL has come on twice in the 2k miles I've put on it.

Any other reccomendations?
    To second what 04 mamba said, I resused my OEM header heat shields. I don't remember having to bend them, but had to cut away part of the shield to allow it to fit. During the install, take a look at your motor mounts as well and check for wear. Oh yeah, and try to route your clutch line as far away as possible and heat wrap it. I didn't do that at first and my fluid would boil if the car idled for more than a minute.

I did this same project last winter.
    I used stock gaskets, reused the stock header bolts and used hi temp gasket maker.

One extra bit of advice. I ran into a problem where the passenger side header had 0 clearance on the back primary. I fought trying to get enough clearance, talked to Bellanger, tried shimming up the motor mount trying to get enough clearance and nothing worked. Turns out it was my transmission mount. Replaced it and everything was fine.

Just an FYI in case you run into that problem. Other than that it's not too bad of a job.

Enthusiast
    Thanks guys, time to order a few parts.

All this. If you need bolts I have brand new ones from Belanger. They are just the hardware bolts not the ones that hold the header to the head. (Expensive little bastards too). Just cover shipping and they are yours but I'm sure you can just buy anything decent from Fastenal. I used Red RTV Hi-temp silicon. Let it sit overnight to dry before you fire it up and you're good.

IDK how hard the gen 3 is but the Gen 4 was a pain. Had to unbolt motor mounts and lift the motor a bit to squeeze the passenger side in (if you look at Vipers the motor is slightly over to the passenger side to counter weight the driver). At least this is what someone told me.

-Tim