Track related Q&A

I have a couple of questions,

What are the normal temps you are seeing when running the car hard at the track (15-25m sessions)?

If your running Hoosiers, what are you attempting to get in terms of hot tire temp PSI? Hoosier notes for the R6's that you should be at 40-42PSI hot on 3000lbs an up.

Is anybody seeing lean conditions when running the car hard? My exhaust tips on my TA are generally white, my GTS which I only street are generally dark in color.

Also, is anyone running carbon's, and if so, please share you perception of them vs the TA setup.

Enthusiast
    I've tracked a lot of hot track days. At Thunderhill the ambient was 105 F and 107 F. When tracking with 105 F ambient, I saw a coolant temperature just touching 240 F. That was the hottest I've seen, and the temp gage lit red. I backed off for a lap and it came back to high 230s. Erich Heuschle said that it's ok to go as high as 245 F but no higher.

I run my Viper's Hoosiers 29 to 30 psi cold, which resulted in 39 to 40 psi hot. It was hooked up at that psi! I believe Erich likes to run Vipers at 36 psi hot, if I remember right. I run my Camaro at about 45 psi hot, due to it's portly weight.

I'm not monitoring 02 sensors but would guess the conservative factory tune isn't running them lean.

Believe it or not, I'm running factory pads on the Track Pack rotors. They work very well for my driving style, except the fronts wear out in 3 days. I tried Brakeman 3s, they were a nightmare. Uneven pad build up created hot spots and destroyed two sets of rotors back to back. I'm lazy so I don't use track pads because I also take the Viper on weekend getaways with my lady and don't like swapping pads and rotors before track days. I'm thinking about the TA rotors and pads, how do you like them?
    Last edited by VENOM V; 12-08-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Bruce H.
    Quote Originally Posted by VENOM V View Post
    I believe Erich likes to run Vipers at 36 psi hot, if I remember right.
    I thought he told us 34 hot, Todd, which I had seen quoted before, but I had found the rear shimmy seemed to prefer closer to 30 that was recommended on the Tire Rack site...

"Having quite a stiff construction, the P Zero Corsa does not necessarily need extra tire pressure to deliver its performance. In fact it is designed to run at tire pressures around 30 psi, with finite adjustments depending on vehicle type."

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
    I thought he told us 34 hot, Todd, which I had seen quoted before, but I had found the rear shimmy seemed to prefer closer to 30 that was recommended on the Tire Rack site...

"Having quite a stiff construction, the P Zero Corsa does not necessarily need extra tire pressure to deliver its performance. In fact it is designed to run at tire pressures around 30 psi, with finite adjustments depending on vehicle type."
    Are we talking Corsas or Hoosiers? Agree that Corsas like 30 psi hot, but Hoosiers like more pressure.

Here's a curve ball for you: Continental GT-O slicks like 22 psi cold, 30 psi hot. Never exceed 32 psi, I've been told. Bizarre. Another curve ball: One of my Camaro friends in a ZL1 was told by a Hoosier engineer that you can run Hoosiers higher than 50 psi on a heavy car like the ZL1. Seems over the top to me.

All I know is that when running 40 psi hot at Buttonwillow in my GTS, the car was just unstoppable. It has never been that hooked up and well behaved at the limit. I'm a true believer in listening to the tire engineers.

Bruce H.
    Are we talking Corsas or Hoosiers? Agree that Corsas like 30 psi hot, but Hoosiers like more pressure.
    Oops, that was for the Corsa...sorry.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H. View Post
    Oops, that was for the Corsa...sorry.
    I'm waiting for the first time you experience Hoosiers on a Viper, Bruce. Better than sex the first time? LOL, not sure. Maybe...

Bruce H.
    Edit: joke removed to avoid possible fatality.

I'd love to experience Hoosiers but they'd be a huge PITA. It's also rather rewarding at the track to be able to reply, "no, it's bone stock!"
    Last edited by Bruce H.; 12-09-2014 at 06:14 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
    Also, is anyone running carbon's, and if so, please share you perception of them vs the TA setup.
    Wayne from Xtreme Supercars is the only person with carbons that I am aware of.

Enthusiast

Here's a curve ball for you: Continental GT-O slicks like 22 psi cold, 30 psi hot. Never exceed 32 psi, I've been told. Bizarre. Another curve ball: One of my Camaro friends in a ZL1 was told by a Hoosier engineer that you can run Hoosiers higher than 50 psi on a heavy car like the ZL1. Seems over the top to me.
    Correct, a full slick (R80/R100) don't like a lot of pressure. 30-32psi hot. Never ran the R6 or A6's but 40 seems high to me.

Enthusiast
    We begin running our R6's at 29 psi and end up 38 to 42 psi which is a sweet spot indeed. Just like Crack Cocaine. Next thing you know you've bought a trailer and tow vehicle.

Richard

I would look at this chart as a basic guideline. The width of the wheels, amount of negative camber, track surface, track temps, track conditions, etc are all going to matter on what your final hot psi is.

On my Viper, hot temp pressures are in the low to mid 30 psi range. I also look at the amount of rollover and wear on the outer edge of the tire and adjust up or down from there.

Have all of the above, my TA never comes home as it lives at the track in a garage I keep there. It isn't even licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty1 View Post
    We begin running our R6's at 29 psi and end up 38 to 42 psi which is a sweet spot indeed. Just like Crack Cocaine. Next thing you know you've bought a trailer and tow vehicle.

Richard

Why did this thread get moved to Track Q&A. Wanted to keep this Gen V specific.

Enthusiast
    Have all of the above, my TA never comes home as it lives at the track in a garage I keep there. It isn't even licensed.
    Nice! What track? I drool when I visit Spring Mountain with those private garages, condos, clubhouse, pool and spa. I wish we had a track with country club facilities in NorCal.

It is Inde Motorsports Ranch in Wilcox AZ. Wonderful facility, not quiet what you describe about Spring Mountain, but it is a very well done property and the track is a lot of fun.

Video from a recent fundraiser there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjbQCB_PODE

Nice! What track? I drool when I visit Spring Mountain with those private garages, condos, clubhouse, pool and spa. I wish we had a track with country club facilities in NorCal.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    I would look at this chart as a basic guideline. The width of the wheels, amount of negative camber, track surface, track temps, track conditions, etc are all going to matter on what your final hot psi is.

On my Viper, hot temp pressures are in the low to mid 30 psi range. I also look at the amount of rollover and wear on the outer edge of the tire and adjust up or down from there.
    I'm TA is in this range also. Usually I'm running around 31f, 32r HOT. My car has MCS shocks and track alignment. Allan

Has anybody done any clutch work on their TA/GTS's for the track?

Enthusiast
    Has anybody done any clutch work on their TA/GTS's for the track?
    Contact Toddy @ BBG (Bad Boyzz Garage)

Enthusiast
    (G4) Normal temps 190-210, track dependent, hot days 200-210, running nose to tail with another viper plus 20 more. (SoCal and NV) At 220 I start to back off to cool the motor.

I look to get the Hoosier's 36-37 hot. Was up at Spring Mountain last month, Michael VonQ (from the ACRX series) swears by 32 hot and he's got more track miles in a viper than most

I've been seeing 220-240 on my TA consistently.. Are you guys running any additives?

Enthusiast
    Call your local Hoosier dealer. They will provide correct cold and hot pressures for your application. Tire pressure is everything!!!!!!!! Get a good gauge and pay attention!

Here is what I ran on specifically different days:
    Sebring: R100 - 25-27 psi cold, 34 psi hot
    Daytona: R100 - 27-29 psi cold, 38 psi hot
    (These are references only, call the manufacturer for details)

A few notes:
    1. checking tire pressure is the last thing you do before getting into car.
    2. checking and recording tire pressures is the first thing you do when exiting car from a stint (unless you are rich and someone else does if for you).
    3. Start with a cold pressure setting and make adjustments based on the original cold starting pressure for the entire day. You goal is to hit the target hot pressure on every stint. Not an easy thing to do.

Tech Team

I always shoot for 36psi hot on the Hoosier R6's