Enthusiast

Tracwrap...any experience?

I am tracking my '13 GTS on Nov 28 at Laguna Seca with the Shelby Club. Paul Normandin worried me when he commented about the sand and high probability of paint pitting. I do not have a permanent body wrap (I don't like the lines on the edges). But, I decided I need to do something.

I searched and found Tracwrap which is a temporary, do it yourself, clear body wrap ( http://www.tracwrap.com/ ). It should arrive today and I will put it on over the weekend. I am sure it won't look at good as the permanent wraps but it should protect the paint on track days.

Has anybody used it before or had any experience/tricks applying it?

-Gary
    Last edited by sjeaglefan; 11-20-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Enthusiast
    I have used it many times. You're better off installing smaller pieces and overlap them. It's not necessary to use a liquid spray under the material. I start at the top of the area and work my way down. Don't worry about perfection it's only temporary.

Good luck! Glenn
    Last edited by 1HOTV10; 11-21-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1HOTV10 View Post
    Don't worry about perfection it's only temporary.
    Glenn
    Did Odie type that? Glenn would NEVER type Don't worry about perfection... never...
    Use the Report a post feature... It works!

Enthusiast
    The application of the Tracwrap went pretty well. I used Glenn's advice and used shorter pieces and didn't stretch them too much. Stretching seemed to create more wrinkles and bubbles. From 10' away, you really cannot see it...close up its pretty noticeable but will save the paint on Friday at Laguna Seca! Will do the rocker panels and apply my track number on Wednesday.

Here are some photos:

2014-11-22 16.11.48.jpg

2014-11-22 16.11.53.jpg

2014-11-22 16.11.58.jpg

2014-11-22 16.12.09.jpg

2014-11-22 14.10.30.jpg
    Last edited by sjeaglefan; 11-24-2014 at 11:05 AM.

Nice. Do whatever it takes to save that beautiful paint.

Enthusiast
    Great job!

I don't know, but am passing along what I've heard, so take it with a grain of salt. I've heard that you have to be careful on places that get hot. Like side sills and headlights (if they are on for any amount of time). I've read of people that say it melted onto their headlights. But again, I don't know for sure.

Enthusiast
    Ok. That may modify my decision to do the rockers as they get quite hot due to the exhaust. The headlights shouldn't be an issue since it will be w cool day. Better safe than sorry.

Enthusiast
    Had a great experience with Tracwrap at Laguna Seca on Friday. Installation was fairly straightforward although does require a few techniques to keep the wrinkles to a minimum. After my day on the track, there were a few nicks in bruises on the tracwrap but nothing on the paint when I removed it. It came off very easy after the event.

I will definitely give it a go again at the Buttonwillow event.