Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Just to close the loop, here is what you need for the upgrade:

- One speaker upgrade kit 82213535
    - [optional] Two buckets for the rear woofers. 2 x 05035339AA. Some folks skipped this and there is talk of SRT no longer using the buckets at all on the 15+'s. Dono. I bought the buckets and installed them under the speakers.

Note that the speaker upgrade kit contains more than you actually need (it has an extra 3rd sub you don't need and an extra center dash speaker that you also don't need because it's already installed in the car (according to people on the forum; I didn't personally check)). *BUT* the speaker upgrade kit is the only way to get the door tweeter grilles unless somebody finds the individual part # (I couldn't).

Here are the official install instructions:
    http://www.moparonlineparts.com/docs/82213535.pdf

*** DON'T FORGET TO HAVE YOUR DEALER DO THE FLASH UPDATE TO ADD THE RCA OPTION CODE TO YOUR CAR. IF YOU DON'T, THE AMP WILL NOT START FIRING THE NEW SUBS ***

Also - more good information and illustrations of the install are available at Bill's awesome Viper page:
    http://www.billswebspace.com/viper.html

Cheers,
    Andi
    Thanks for posting Andi! Look forward to doing this upgrade soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lochnessmonster View Post
    Here is a little tid bit of advice for those of you out there using your phone etc. as your source for the tunes. A couple of days ago I was out with my son, and I noticed that my stereo system sounded "tinny". That is, the base response was crap. I have the full "18" speaker system in my GTS, and I distinctly remember it sounding much better before. At first I thought that my sub wasn't functioning correctly. I went into the equalizer settings on the audio page and maxed out the bass to no effect. I moved the fade back and forth from the front to the back with no effect. Well, no surprise here, it was operator error. I discovered that somehow my phone had been set to the "Classic" setting in its equalizer settings. I changed it to "Rock" and holy crap, my system was back baby!!!! So, the moral of the story is, make sure the source device is set up properly before you even start to mess with the equalizer settings in the car. I had to go back and reduce the bass, mid, and treble, because it was totally out of control after I got the phone setting right. I hope this helps
    Using Bluetooth to stream music from your phone to the sound system wirelessly is by far the weakest way.
    Huge difference by using either USB cable or the SD disk.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by lochnessmonster View Post
    Here is a little tid bit of advice for those of you out there using your phone etc. as your source for the tunes. A couple of days ago I was out with my son, and I noticed that my stereo system sounded "tinny". That is, the base response was crap. I have the full "18" speaker system in my GTS, and I distinctly remember it sounding much better before. At first I thought that my sub wasn't functioning correctly. I went into the equalizer settings on the audio page and maxed out the bass to no effect. I moved the fade back and forth from the front to the back with no effect. Well, no surprise here, it was operator error. I discovered that somehow my phone had been set to the "Classic" setting in its equalizer settings. I changed it to "Rock" and holy crap, my system was back baby!!!! So, the moral of the story is, make sure the source device is set up properly before you even start to mess with the equalizer settings in the car. I had to go back and reduce the bass, mid, and treble, because it was totally out of control after I got the phone setting right. I hope this helps
    That's a Monster of a tip Monster. What type of phone do you have? I'm not aware of this type of setting on an Iphone.
    Last edited by SRT BILL; 05-27-2016 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Enthusiast
    I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 I believe. You can go into the "settings" if you press the left touch button on the bottom of the phone when in the music app. The music app has a green musical note surrounded by a blue circle. Once in settings you select "SoundAlive" which has a bunch of "stock equalizer" settings such as Rock, Pop, Dance, Classic, Jazz, etc. The "Rock" setting I find to be the best. I know people have said that using the Bluetooth to stream music is not as good as a USB cable etc., but I have tried both, and there is no perceptible difference. Again, this may have a lot to do with the type of phone I'm using, the music program, the quality of my mp3's etc. etc. etc.............. There are tons of variables. The bottom line: my system sounds awesome when streaming from Bluetooth. I just need to make sure I have it on the right setting on the phone.

Edit - I would suspect that every phone/ipod etc. has the ability to change the equalizer settings. In my experience, this is absolutely vital in getting the most out of your sound system. It's not like the old days, when the only thing you had to change were the settings on the actual head unit. Now you have to make sure the settings on your source device are set properly first, then adjust your head unit accordingly
    Last edited by lochnessmonster; 05-27-2016 at 04:05 PM.

Enthusiast
    Thanks, I have found it in settings under music on the iphone.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SRT BILL View Post
    Thanks, I have found it in settings under music on the iphone.
    Excellent.

Enthusiast
    Another VOA thread to the rescue! Did this upgrade without incident. The door panels were the only somewhat intimidating part of the install. Dealer flashed without incident. HOLY COW! The sound upgrade is ridic! Did not use speaker buckets behind the rear speakers, do not care as it is rumored the factory no longer uses them. Thanks for the advice guys!

I had heard they were using the foam baffles in place of the old buckets......without one of these your speaker is exposed to the elements and might also test how well it works in a large infinite baffle scenario.

I do agree, sound is MUCH improved, worth the $$$.

[EDIT] I did see the post/pics you were referring to with no buckets, just WOW. I would still use them.
    Last edited by wrh3; 07-26-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Enthusiast
    I miss the 18 speakers from my GT. I'll want to make the upgrade again in my TA. Another tip if your bass is low, just mute and Unmute the volume. It's something with the firmware. I had to do it almost each time I turned on the radio. It's much more noticeable with bass heavy music like rap or you may not even know it's not working to the full potential.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for this thread! I ordered everything the OP noted last week, and it came in yesterday. Very easy install; although I feel certain I broke some of the clips. However, I don't here any rattles. Now, I just need to go to the dealer to the get the subs working.

Enthusiast
    Wanting to do this upgrade, but after reading this thread for the past hour I’m still confused LOL...

I have a 2013 GTS, so I assume I have the “12 speaker kit”? My questions...

•Does the 2013 need the center dash speaker installed?
    •Do the 13s have speaker buckets already installed behind my seats?
    •Have people successfully had the 2013s converted to the full 18 speaker setup? (Basically, gotten all the 6x9s to work)

Enthusiast
    Should all GTS’s have the 18 Spkr HK setup? Check and see if you’ve got the upper door speakers.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
    Should all GTS’s have the 18 Spkr HK setup? Check and see if you’ve got the upper door speakers.
    There’s a grill there, but no speakers in them

Enthusiast
    Weird...my 2015GT had the 12 speaker system,
    And the upper door location had a plastic plate covering the spot where the speaker and grill goes

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Polo708 View Post
    Wanting to do this upgrade, but after reading this thread for the past hour I’m still confused LOL...

•Have people successfully had the 2013s converted to the full 18 speaker setup? (Basically, gotten all the 6x9s to work)
    I started a thread on this...pretty straight forward with all the part#'s needed.

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...peaker+upgrade

Enthusiast

Polo 708, I have a 2013 GTS that was purchased new with the 12 speakers system and have done the 18 speaker change over.
    The 2013 does not need the dash speaker its already there.
    13s do not have the 6x9 speaker buckets installed from factory.
    to get the additional 6x9 to work you must have the dealer enable them.
    Follow the parts list from gen5snake post and you will be fine. If you already have the upper door grills installed from factory that helps with whats needed and is most likely some sort of mixup from manufacturing. There was a post a while back of one car that had a speaker under the dummy plate on the passenger side however the driver side had the dummy plate and no speaker.
    Good luck with your project it really does make a difference with windows up and at slower speeds.

Enthusiast
    Will do, thanks...

So all the wires are just sitting there? Do they just clip in and are ready to go? (Minus the “subs” that need the radio update)

Enthusiast
    Will do, thanks...

So all the wires are just sitting there? Do they just clip in and are ready to go? (Minus the “subs” that need the radio update)
    All the wires and connectors are there. They were all taped up and pulled back/hidden on my car. You'll need to to some digging, but they are all there. They used the same harness for these cars.

In my thread, I linked to this site which shows a nice "how to" http://www.billswebspace.com/viper.html. Bill shows a taped up connector.
    Last edited by Gen5snake; 08-25-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456