Bought a 2013 GTS and got a CEL on the way home

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. Been enjoying it the last few days, especially all the Gen V pictures. So much so that I couldn't resist picking one up. I had an 05 Copperhead before, and it was my favorite car I've ever had.

Anyways. I live in the CA Bay Area and found a red 2013 GTS in SoCal that I liked and decided to fly down and drive it the 8 hours back. I love the car, the interior is so much better than my 05. It really makes driving it a whole different experience than my previous viper. The car has 1200 miles on it, and has the factory warranty still.

Unfortunately on the way home, and about an hour in, under hard acceleration from a stop light the car bogged down, started missing and would barely go. The traction control light came on, a red flashing lightning bolt, and also the CEL. I pulled over, turned the car off, then read the code. It was: P2282 air leak between throttle body and intake valves. I popped the hood and looked around the throttle body area and didn't see anything obviously wrong. Started her back up and the car ran fine, but the check engine light remained on. No more problems on the rest of the drive and the CEL went off after stopping for gas. Is this possibly a known issue for these cars?

I also stopped at the Button Willow exit off of highway 5 and went to 3 different gas stations and couldn't get their pumps to work on the car. They had a new style nozzle and it seemed like it wouldn't go deep enough into the filler neck to make it work. But even with these two issues I am in love with this car. It is so much better than my 05 was. I'm going outside to wash it right now It's filthy after that drive, and of course it had to rain too, lol.

First, congrats on the new Viper. I'm 3 weeks into ownership of a 2013 myself, and I agree, what a car. Filling these cars with gas does take a bit of finesse, although like you, I had a Gen 3, and that car was difficult as well. Here in PA, our recovery nozzles have to be jostled juuuusst right to get the gas to go into these. It just takes practice, and you can't squeeze the nozzle full blast.

As to your CEL, I think the "lighting bolt" is the electronic throttle control. Sound like your car went into limp mode briefly, and then recovered. I would take it to a Viper tech that you trust, and have them take a look. Sorry couldn't be more help there.

Yeah, I have to find Viper Tech. The only things ever done to my Gen III were a cat back, intake, and a power steering hose which were done by yours truly. If anybody has any recommendations in the CA East Bay they would be appreciated. I'm hoping this was a fluke, but I doubt it. It's possible I tried to launch it in 3rd gear but I really doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by threesixes View Post
    "under hard acceleration from a stop light"
    Definitely get it checked out by a good Viper tech. Did the car have 1200 miles on it when you bought it or 1200 miles now? I don't think you should have gunned it after buying a new car. I'm assuming you bought it new and that is why there is a break in period.

When filling up I have to pull up on the top of the black accordion hose to simulate to pump is pushed in further than it is. So I have to stand ther holding it the whole time filling up.

I've been pretty happy with the service at the Hilltop Dodge Dealer in Richmond CA (I live in the Berkeley area), they performed a few services for me on a 2013 SRT. They replaced my rear window after a defroster malfunction, changed oil, etc. They did a good job and took great care of the car. The other nearest tech is in Walnut Creek.

I sold the car a bit ago to use my voucher, so I haven't worked with the service department recently. But the overall experience was very good for a domestic dealer.

-Nick

First 500 miles RPM'S shouldn't exceed 4000. Once I mistakenly started in 3rd gear and didn't have any limp mode or other problem. Have you self diagnosed since? The diagnostic button is on the steering wheel. Keep us posted.

Enthusiast
    Have you had all the update done to it? Also the first 500 miles break in the car i don't care what the dealer told you. After that whale away on it. You may want to pick up a scan tool just to have for clearing on the check light.

Ok. So thank you for all the recommendations. I will try one of those dealerships if it happens again. As of now the diagnostic on the steering wheel shows no active codes. The car had 1200 miles when I bought it, so it has 1200 plus the trip from SD now. Probably around 1700. I should be able to beat on it a little, right? Just took it for a spin to get car wash supplies. This car is Freakin AWESOME!!

As far as updates being done, I would like to think the dealership that sold it to me would have done them before selling it, but its anyones guess.

And for filing it up I had to hold the accordion thing back too, or else I was going nowhere

Mine also came with a funnel that fits the fuel tank. Check your rear hatch.

May be a relay I had the same problem my car just stopped changed relay and has been fine, smell the relays on the drivers side of car you may of burned one. You can smell it if you burned it. Mine still ran for a while after the lightning bolt and then died.
    Last edited by hmerrittiii; 11-02-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FSTENUF View Post
    Have you had all the update done to it? Also the first 500 miles break in the car i don't care what the dealer told you. After that whale away on it. You may want to pick up a scan tool just to have for clearing on the check light.
    What update are you referring to? As for gas fill issue, I had the same issue with GTS LE 109 (and suspension would not come out of race mode), had purchased 9/13/14 Friday night and returned and replaced it Sunday 9/15/14 with GTS LE 122 (after sitting through dinner and a movie Saturday night smelling like an old time gas station attendant), come to find out the fill issue is due to some gas stations utilizing a "stiff" vapor recovery boot as opposed to the kinder accordion style. JM2C
    Last edited by Space Truckin; 11-02-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    Mine also came with a funnel that fits the fuel tank. Check your rear hatch.
    Huh?? Was this a factory part? I bought my car new, but never saw a funnel. I am having difficulty with the gas nozzles as well, and find the Shell brand pumps to be the worst.

Enthusiast
    The plastic funnel is used to open capless gas fill so as to put fuel system additive. The funnel is located in the rear with air compressor/ tire slime

Enthusiast
    The funnel is also used if you run out of gas. Personally, i would invest in a decent scan tool. The dash diagnostics only gives environmental codes and does not give pending codes, therefore, the need for a scan tool.

On a couple of my cars the fuel pumps will not work even if I pull back the rubber bellows. I find if I turn the nozzle completely upside down it works.

Enjoy your new ride!!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrackAire View Post
    On a couple of my cars the fuel pumps will not work even if I pull back the rubber bellows. I find if I turn the nozzle completely upside down it works.Enjoy your new ride!!
    Yep. Best way I've found when trying to fill any of my Vipers.

I experienced a similar event when I purchased my TA. On my drive home from Texas to Miami, I was running pretty fast and the CEL appeared and went into limp mode. This was at about the 1000 mile mark. I pulled over, turned off car and checked under the hood. Found nothing and it restarted fine. I now have 7000 miles and I have not had that happen ever again.

I would just enjoy the car and not worry unless this repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by threesixes View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. Been enjoying it the last few days, especially all the Gen V pictures. So much so that I couldn't resist picking one up. I had an 05 Copperhead before, and it was my favorite car I've ever had.

Anyways. I live in the CA Bay Area and found a red 2013 GTS in SoCal that I liked and decided to fly down and drive it the 8 hours back. I love the car, the interior is so much better than my 05. It really makes driving it a whole different experience than my previous viper. The car has 1200 miles on it, and has the factory warranty still.

Unfortunately on the way home, and about an hour in, under hard acceleration from a stop light the car bogged down, started missing and would barely go. The traction control light came on, a red flashing lightning bolt, and also the CEL. I pulled over, turned the car off, then read the code. It was: P2282 air leak between throttle body and intake valves. I popped the hood and looked around the throttle body area and didn't see anything obviously wrong. Started her back up and the car ran fine, but the check engine light remained on. No more problems on the rest of the drive and the CEL went off after stopping for gas. Is this possibly a known issue for these cars?

I also stopped at the Button Willow exit off of highway 5 and went to 3 different gas stations and couldn't get their pumps to work on the car. They had a new style nozzle and it seemed like it wouldn't go deep enough into the filler neck to make it work. But even with these two issues I am in love with this car. It is so much better than my 05 was. I'm going outside to wash it right now It's filthy after that drive, and of course it had to rain too, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by V1PERMAN View Post
    I experienced a similar event when I purchased my TA. On my drive home from Texas to Miami, I was running pretty fast and the CEL appeared and went into limp mode. This was at about the 1000 mile mark. I pulled over, turned off car and checked under the hood. Found nothing and it restarted fine. I now have 7000 miles and I have not had that happen ever again.

I would just enjoy the car and not worry unless this repeats.
    This happened to me today I was at 5000 feet on a run the mountains with my buddies and the engine light flashed and then the engine was missing. I pulled over and checked the codes on the dash and nothing. Turned the car off and back on, no problems going home and driving it hard. I took it to the dealer and they couldn’t find any codes whatsoever stored. Ran fine since. First time this has happened to me...