Enthusiast

Gen II Sagging Door Viper 1998 rt/10 fix

My 98 rt/10 only has 7,200 miles on it. I actually bought it with 4,700 miles. At 4,700 miles it had a sagging passenger door. Took me over a year to get to this project which only took me about 20 minutes to fix. The photos that accompany this post will explain and show you the easy fix for this problem.Attachment 7259Attachment 7260Attachment 7261Attachment 7262Attachment 7264
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    That's great, thanks for posting. I tried to do mine supporting it with a trolley Jack but I like your idea

Enthusiast
    Very good information and well explained!!, should go in the How to section!

Enthusiast
    how do you get it into that section, if you know?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by crackleking View Post
    how do you get it into that section, if you know?
    Think the Mods will put it there

Web Site Committee
    Tech Team
    I'm waiting for crackleking's permission to copy this in the "How To" area.

http://driveviper.com/forums/forums/9-How-to-s
    2008 SRT10 Open Roof (1 of 2)
    2022 BMW X5M Comp
    Resident Misanthrope

Enthusiast
    Another little project. My passenger door needs a slight adjusted too and my car only has 5,900 miles.

Enthusiast
    You have my permission Scott to post it into the "How To" area. Thank you.

copied to how to section.
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Enthusiast
    Good timing for me, just got a '98 with sagging doors. I raised the passenger door so it doesn't rub the rubber seal or plastic door interior, but now the window pinches the rubber moulding at the upper forward corner near the tab that sticks out, allowing rain water to leak in. It seems like the door must move rearward, but I'm at the extreme of the hinge bolt holes. Is there a way to adjust the window glass or is this still a door hinge issue? Thanks.

Enthusiast
    I do not know how much you had to adjust your door, but that rubber moulding, the one at the top that sticks out, it is just glued in there. I know, because mine came loose, and I had to just hot glue it back in. If this is the same molding you are talking about, you might be able to break it free, and reglue it in, but not putting it all the way in, thereby, covering the corner of the window. Without me actually seeing what your problem is, I am guessing this is it. I hope this helps.

Enthusiast
    I've gotta do this on my '00 RT sometime here pretty soon..

Enthusiast
    not a big deal. should not take you more than a half hour. I waited over a year to do this fix, only because the fix that was recommended was having another hand pick up the door, and also to jack up the door, which I would never have done, but when I found this fix using the towel, I immediately went to work on the passenger door by myself and it works absolutely perfect now. Make sure when you take off the screws to remove the body part that covers the screws make sure you see where the shims are. They tend to fall off, and not all screws require the shim. Let me know how it turns out.

Enthusiast
    Just a tip before going through the trouble of adjusting your doors....

Make sure your rubbing issue isn't from the door panel pin popping out. It's the white plastic push pin that connects the inside panel to the door toward the back edge of the door. If it's out or broken, you'll have a gap between the middle of the panel and the door and it'll cause the bottom edge of the panel to rub and make you think the door is sagging when it's not.

I did mine a different way, or I should say my man-slave did.

1) remove the front hinge cover

2) outline the hinge bracket with a marker, used white on mine.

3)open door just far enough to get a jack under it. Used a low profile car jack with a rubber insert in the middle.

4) loosen bolts but not too much.

5) Lightly jack door while watching your mark and I mean lightly! About 2 or 3mm and tighten the bolts. Bam good as new! Don't take much!

Enthusiast
    Thanks for posting Crackleking. I adjusted the passenger door on my bw today. It took no time at all.

Enthusiast
    Just wanted to thank you for the tip...tried it and fixed my sagging door...
    But wait, something stange is happening since the fix. Door opens and closes perfectly when the car is cold, but gets hard to very hard to open and close when the car is hot??? (rubbing the weather stripping)
    Please, do not laugh as it is true, anyone else with problem??

Ben
    1997, red R/T 10, canadian Edition

Enthusiast
    Found why I have problem when hot...it was my weatherstrip popping out of its place.
    Forced it back in, now seems fine.

Ben