Gen 2 rigidity improvements

What are some things we can do to improve the rigidity of our cars? I heard there's really no clearance to place an x brace over the top of the motor..Other than installing a roll cage, what options do we have? thanks

Roll Cage. That's it. GEN2's are pretty rigid when compared to GEN1's and most other cars. But if you road race and need more, get a cage bolted in. If you don't road race, don't worry about it.

If there's any truth in this thread -> http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/...2013-srT-Viper

Then the Viper seems to have a low torsional spec for rigidity. It says the Dodge Viper Coupe(doesn't say year) has a 7,600 Nm/deg where as a 2005 Ford Mustang has 21,000 Nm/deg. It doesn't seem possible, but would like to learn more on the matter.

If you look at all the viper race cars, they have much more than just a roll cage to help stiffen the chassis. So there's definitely room for improvement there. I'm struggling to find more on what can be done. Maybe it's all custom stuff..

btw I do track the car

Enthusiast
    According to Mister Viper, the data for the gen 2 Viper isn't exactly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Viper
    Back to structrual stiffness, according to the "data" you show above, the new Viper must have gained well over 100% stiffness increase! Dang, we should have claimed that!! (kidding). Actually, our lab test data showed that the old car was better than your list indicates, and that we have further improved the all-new Gen 5 space frame by (well) over 50%. And, we also lightened the space frame significantly too! But, because we realized that this data was becoming an issue of competitive intelligence, we at SRT decided early on that we would not publish this information for the all new Gen 5 Viper spaceframe; rather we would just share directional indications. You can understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by kch_86 View Post
    According to Mister Viper, the data for the gen 2 Viper isn't exactly accurate.
    I wish he was specific so we knew exactly what better meant. Better doesn't imply good . What's better than 7,600...7,700? 10,000? It'd have to be like double to be competitive with some of those other cars.. Im not sure he's talking about the gen2 either, rather the gen4. I image the gen 2 was less.. But still my G2 feels pretty rigid so I'm a little perplexed by these #'s.

At the end of the day, regardless of the #'s I'm still interested in mods that can help with rigidity

Enthusiast
    When I built a replica Cobra the frame seemed poorly thought out. I made a balsa wood copy of it and twisted it with my fingers where the wheels would attach. Then I would try adding frame pieces and twist again. It showed what helped, what didn't really help. You could try something similar...frame-balsa.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom, F&L GoR View Post
    When I built a replica Cobra the frame seemed poorly thought out. I made a balsa wood copy of it and twisted it with my fingers where the wheels would attach. Then I would try adding frame pieces and twist again. It showed what helped, what didn't really help. You could try something similar...frame-balsa.jpg
    Haha that's pretty clever, I'll give it a go. But I take it there's no product out there to help - bolt in or weld in (ie: x brace). Basically it'll have to be custom?

That is genius!

Enthusiast

Enthusiast
    It was a crude method, but very educational. The last improvement (not in the balsa model) was using the roll bar hoop with a diagonal third leg that went back and left, plus a diagonal fourth leg that went forward and to the right, ending on the passenger floor. You can think of these two legs plus the hoop as a pyramid and helped stiffen the bending that was occurringrear.jpg under the door hinges. On long sweeping turns (Autocross) I could lift a front wheel. (Air under right front) race-turn.jpg Arguably, this would be why roll cages are effective since it helps tie everything together and let the suspension do the flexing.

Enthusiast
    Wow, the SILO Racing story is great!

Enthusiast
    Wow, the SILO Racing story is great!
    Got to love the "Can Do" spirit