Enthusiast

New Ford GT imminent?

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/how-to...211731/+travis

Ever get the feeling that there are just too many Ferraris in endurance racing nowadays? Lonely Ferraris? You know, without Fords tinkling in their tortellini? Well, then today is your lucky day: Road & Track reports that Ford may be coming back to Le Mans with a new factory Ford GT program in 2016. Holy. Crap.

Why 2016? It coincides with the 50th anniversary of Ford's victory at Le Mans with the Ford GT40 Mark II, so it would be the perfect opportunity to take the fight to the Corvette and Ferrari in France.

It that doesn't fill you with feelings of patriotism, joy and 'Murica, I don't know what will. Who doesn't like the GT40 and its various descendents throughout the years? Terrorists, that's who. People who hate freedom and our very way of life. Oh, and Italians. Them, too. So, prepare your lasagna-holes, Ferrari. Hide yo' wife, hide yo' schnitzel, Porsche. And Aston Martin, it's time for a tea break.

Ford's return to Le Mans has been floating around the rumor mill for a while, but with nothing quite this awesome on the table. First, there was talk of a GTE Mustang program, and then, a P2 prototype. While those would likely produce a V8 roar so glorious that it would make bald eagles shed a single, proud tear, neither have quite the history of ruining Enzo Ferrari's day.

But now, even though the Mustang GTE program was nixed, R&T's Marshal Pruett reports that a representative with Ford was in attendance at the GTE constructors' meetings at Circuit of the Americas regarding the 2016 rules for the class.

Publicly, Ford Racing head Jamie Allison says that they're focused on their partnerships with existing teams as well as their Daytona Prototype cars in the Tudor United SportsCar series, but sources point to Canadian builders Multimatic as a likely partner for the GTE Ford GT entry.

The best part of all of this? The launch of a new Ford GT 24 Hours of Le Mans entry would most likely coincide with a new production car version. Road & Track lists the 2016 Detroit Auto Show as the car's likely debut.

If this is all true, this is fantastic, fantastic news and a sign that Ford really wants to kick Ferrari — and Corvette's ass at their own game.
    yes plz

Enthusiast
    Oh yes, YES PLEASE INDEED!

--RS

Enthusiast
    why no mention of the Viper, is it not competition?

Bruce

There goes that bubble. If it happens I'll be glad I didn't buy an 05-06.

I'd LOVE to see GT return!

Enthusiast
    If it happens, there will be a ton of guys with buyers remorse when the bottom falls out of those $300k cars.
    If I had one I'd be hoping it doesn't happen.

On the flip side, it would be great to see what they do with a new iteration of the car.

Enthusiast
    I'm not sure what they're worried about. I mean, I get the whole collector car thing, but there were so many iterations of the GT40 when Ford faced Ferrari. Would Ford have to stray away from the Mk I/II design? Not really, just update it. The current GT's have enough pedigree to go with them when they were made, people are always going to want those. The 100th Anniversary of Ford is even an easter egg in the headlights. It was special for Ford, if they go back racing it'll be even more special since Ferrari is thinking about going full bore P1 class racing again at LeMans.

Regardless, rumor or not, it's a great time to be a car guy. Can't remember the last time things were this exciting. There was a time when things didn't look good for any of us! Right now, things are looking pretty kick ass! Monster horsepower, 10 second cars, hybrid technology finally proving itself for what it's worth in things other than in a Prius. How long will some of that last, who knows, but I'm gonna enjoy it while I'm around!

--RS

Enthusiast
    Would be great to see some other manufactures back at Le mans.

Quote Originally Posted by Schen View Post

Regardless, rumor or not, it's a great time to be a car guy. Can't remember the last time things were this exciting. There was a time when things didn't look good for any of us! Right now, things are looking pretty kick ass! Monster horsepower, 10 second cars, hybrid technology finally proving itself for what it's worth in things other than in a Prius. How long will some of that last, who knows, but I'm gonna enjoy it while I'm around!

--RS

Yes... Just incredible !!!!

Enthusiast
    It only makes sense for Ford to get back into the higher end market. The cash people are throwing at FGT's indicates the money is there.

Everyone else is making money hand over fist in the high end performance market, so why not get in on that?

I'd love a rear mid engine American car. If Ford comes out with a new one, I'd scrape together pennies to buy it and sell whatever car I have to get it.

It would be amazing to have a new Ford GT around!

Enthusiast
    They have my interest. I'd love to see a 2016 iteration. Hope it isn't a hybrid and they stick with forced induction of some sort tho.

I'm interested too. But same hesitation & concern I have with the snake regarding service. Imagine taking that thing to the average Ford dealer for service.