PAVenomRT/10

The $1100 ACR screw

I was at my home track (New Jersey Motorsports Park) last month with my ACR. During one of my sessions, I heard a vibration coming from the rear of the car when doing over 100 mph. Did not affect the handling of the car but sounded like something was loose and rubbing with increased wind resistance. After the session, I checked the rear of the car and found that one of the tamper proof allen head screws had come loose and fallen completely out leaving the wing endplate attached with only one screw. I could thererfore rotate the endplate completely around the one remaining screw which accounted for the noise I was hearing.
    I went to my Dodge dealer to order a replacement screw and was shocked to find that they only sold the endplate with the screws as a kit for $1100! Needless to say, I was not going to pay that for a replacement screw. I then figured the easiest route to repair was to remove the existing screw and take it to my hardware store to get a match, even if it wasn't the same tamper proof head. Well, turns out that nobody locally, including the Dodge dealer, had the 4mm tamper proof allen wrench to remove the screw.
    When faced with a parts dilemma, I turned to the best resource available, which is of course, JonB of PartsRack. I called Jon and told him of my problem. He said he would check and that I should call back the next day and he would let me know about getting the screw. When I called the next day, Jon said he had placed and order for some factory screws from Dodge and the they would arrive in a few days, after which he would ship me two so I would have a back up just in case.
    Sure enough, they arrived Fedexed as Jon promised and Free of Charge! Once again I am indebted to JonB for his help and for saving me $1100 for a screw!
    Thanks again Jon.
    PAVenomRT/10
    2000 RT/10
    2009 ACR

Awesome story.

Enthusiast
    Make sure you put some locktite on it!

That is great to hear. Jon B. is good people. So what did you do about getting the special tool to remove the other screw? or to use to install the new screw?

Enthusiast
    Jon knows. He just knows.

JonB once again proves he is the man! Great story.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Short View Post
    That is great to hear. Jon B. is good people. So what did you do about getting the special tool to remove the other screw? or to use to install the new screw?
    You can get the special bit at Ace Hardware.

Try Whia tools they have special bits.

Enthusiast
    While reading I was thinking that the screw fell out and caused $1100 worth of damage. This story had a better ending.

If you ever need them on a Monday, McMaster-Carr has a very large selection.

Glad it didn't cause more damage than just a few loose screws....

Enthusiast
    Speaking of special tools, anyone have the 5-sided tamper proof allen-looking tool to adjust the angle of attack on the rear wing?

Enthusiast
    Cool story. Stuff like this is why I just call him first. I don't even waste my time calling the dealership anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRon View Post
    Speaking of special tools, anyone have the 5-sided tamper proof allen-looking tool to adjust the angle of attack on the rear wing?
    Talk to eric at prefix. I'm sure he can tell you where to get one. They installed the wings

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010.Blue.White.ACR View Post
    Talk to eric at prefix. I'm sure he can tell you where to get one. They installed the wings
    will do

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    The REAL news here is that PAViper admits to having a screw loose ! Glad I could help, and thanks for taking the time.ps that 'special bit' is really not that special...... any nut-bolt-fastener store as well as Ace/True-Valu should have it.....

Enthusiast
    I've had good luck locating a cheap set of tamper proof bits at my local Harbor Freight...they aren't the most durable, but then again, I don't use them often enough to have broken any yet.

PAVenomRT/10
    Well JonB is right again in that I do have a screw loose or at least I did have one. Turns out the Viper tech at my Dodge dealer was on vacation when I initially went there to get the screw. When I went back, he had returned and he had the tamper proof allen wrench in his tool box. He tightened it up for me and I am now good to go. Thanks for all the replies regarding where to get the tool if needed in the future.
    PAVenomRT/10

Good to hear when vendors take care of you like that!

Enthusiast
    JonB is good people!

Enthusiast
    Cornwell tools sells the 5 star tamper proof kit. thats what we have here