Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Picked up a gen 3 coupe **arrest me red**

Been a long time coming. Been lurking on the boards for 6 months waiting for the stars to align. They aligned this morning. Cant wait to meet some of the local houston guys--there seems to be quite a few of you . Been enjoying feeling like a "celebrity" today

06 Viper Red Coupe
    13k miles
    1 owner
    Bone stock minus a short throw of some sort (stock knob)

Car drives extremely well--i've test driven at least 4-5 gen 3s and gen 4s in my search and this was the tightest driving of them all. Aside from the problem i have with the hatch not closing (i made a separate thread to whine about this), the LR turn signal taking on water like a 15th century wooden galleon, the lifters/rockers sounding like a sewing machine, a blown subwoofer (can it even be called that?) zero visibility out the rear, and what i believe to be a light yet audible pinion related whiiir from the rear end at around 65-75mph, everything seems to be as expected. Yes i'm on the RFTs, yes i will be careful. The rears are brand new pilot sport zp's ('12 DOTs), the fronts are oem's from '06 (yikes). Car hooks first from a 4k roll on no problem but the front pushes like a camry if you start to get aggressive on turn in. It definetly needs a new set of rollers up front. A belanger catback and set of 3.55s are also highly desired

Apologies for the anemic cell phone photos--i will get proper ones when the car gets a full detail and the weather cooperates.

The quite attractive cougar in this 997 didnt want to tango, but she did compliment the coupe generously at a light

The daily driver shunned out of the garage into the cold. The grand sport is the roommates.

Tasks for this weekend;

-Oil & filter change (Mobil 1 15w-50)
    -Install K&N intake
    -New IAT sensor
    -New IAC valve

Enthusiast
    Congrats man looks great! Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Andy

the lifters/rockers sounding like a sewing machine
    Drive it a bit and that will probably go away.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FLATOUT View Post
    Congrats man looks great! Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Andy
    Likewise brother, cant wait to see that blue beast.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slysnake View Post
    Drive it a bit and that will probably go away.
    Have your belt checked, what I once thought was my lifter was actually my belt.... That "lifter" noise is gone...

Enthusiast
    Congrats on the Viper!

The front push might go away once you get rid of old tires up front... if you can swing it I would do that ASAP.

Call Jonb at Partsrack.

Enthusiast
    Yes, congrats. I have had several AMR vipers, but decided to go a little more subtle color - LOL.
    I'll be showing my viper and a prowler (both SSG) at the Houston AutoRama this Thanksgiving.
    Stop by and intro if you want.
    I have an ex that lives on Bayland. I make "service calls" often to your area.
    I'd like to see your "before" viper in person. Sounds like you have upgrade/mods planned.
    BillyC

Enthusiast
    Great choice, sharp looking Coupe!

Congrats on your new coupe! There were 206 red coupes made, but only 16 delivered with the 5 spoke wheels.
    Enjoy!

Enthusiast
    Nice ride, enjoy it.

Looks like your dog fears the snake. Lol.

Enthusiast
    Nice rides! Came from a Lingenfelter Vette and sold it or the Gen III. Enjoy the snake, two totally different cars...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian venom View Post
    Have your belt checked, what I once thought was my lifter was actually my belt.... That "lifter" noise is gone...
    I will take a peek tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyC View Post
    Yes, congrats. I have had several AMR vipers, but decided to go a little more subtle color - LOL.
    I'll be showing my viper and a prowler (both SSG) at the Houston AutoRama this Thanksgiving.
    Stop by and intro if you want.
    I have an ex that lives on Bayland. I make "service calls" often to your area.
    I'd like to see your "before" viper in person. Sounds like you have upgrade/mods planned.
    BillyC
    Billy next time you're making a delivery in my area, feel free to swing by to check out the coupe. I'm a bit northwest of where shes at (east of sheppard inside the loop), but I love that area she's in. It's very traditional heights, i lived off of white oak dr for a bit a few years back. And i will definetely come check out the ssg toys at autorama if nothing prevents me from making an appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper Girl View Post
    Congrats on your new coupe! There were 206 red coupes made, but only 16 delivered with the 5 spoke wheels.
    Enjoy!
    Looks like 95 out of the 206 were stripe delete cars--so there aren't too many redheads running around!

Enthusiast
    Beautiful car, and welcome!!, I ve had mine for more than a year now, and the "celebrity" factor never goes away, LOL!!!

Great looking car!!

Enthusiast
    Fired her up last night when the temps were into the 50s and she was idling real low and rough around 450-500rpm. I remember it behaving the same way when i drove it at the dealer--I knew it needed a new IAC valve. I replaced it tonight and sure enough the piston on the old one was frozen.

Fired her up, settled into a nice 1000rpm idle on a cold start. Purrin like a kitten

Also got a new plate cover, zinc plated, hand engraved with enamel filled lettering. Dont know how i feel about it on the car yet, i'll reserve judgement until my custom plate comes in--but the quality of the plate itself is outstanding.

Enthusiast
    I got a question. Why do my fogs come on as DRLs? My buddies gen 3 doesnt do that, i thought that was a feature of the Canadian cars only?

Enthusiast
    Where did you get the IAC? (Idle Air ...Controller???)

I think my Gen III coupe needs that as well.

Enthusiast
    If you are not tracking the car , 0-40w is more than fine, and frankly even alot of folks who do track their Snakes run 0-40W -- just a minor suggestion and of course it is usually a bit less at the Auto Parts or Discount Stores.

Try soaking and/or cleaning it first with WD40. If a car hasn't been driven much, they do get sticky and sometime refuse to move. It might not work but it is worth the effort. You wouldn't think throttle plates and IAC or IAV get dirty but they seem too.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Greg View Post

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhatch View Post
    I got a question. Why do my fogs come on as DRLs? My buddies gen 3 doesnt do that, i thought that was a feature of the Canadian cars only?
    That's odd. You are right, not normal. Could have been done for a lot of reasons. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Probably a easy fix if you want to change it back

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Greg View Post

I got it from a local dodge dealer. Was like $70 or so. Let me know if you need the PN.

Enthusiast
    Killed my first tank of gas. 175 miles. 11.4 mpg Not bad considering there were numerous deep 3 digit pulls for friends on that tank.

Enthusiast
    Pulled the car out this morning and headed to a friends house to do an oil change & install an intake. Best friend came over and brought his new cts-v along. I made sure to drag him on the freeway on the way to our buddies place. Twas a great automotive filled day.

Quite a bit horsepower in the driveway/garage.

Started on the car...

Just a little mock-up

After we got done discussing whos car was the slowest (we're all slow), we retired to watch some actual fast cars on the TX2K13 blu-rays

Congrats on a beautiful car. Almost 32,000 miles on my 2003 now (I've put bout 8000 on her since I've owned her) and still lovin' every minute. I didn't realize that Michelin was again making PS ZPs in our Viper sizes. I run regular PS2s, and when they need replacing in another season or two, will put on the new Super Sports.

When I had an idle issue on cold start a couple winters ago (she would start, then stall, like an old carbureted car) it was just the battery needed replacing. The IAC is VERY voltage dependent.

Enthusiast
    Looks like you're off to a good start! I have a set of Belanger headers for sale if interested (saw you mention a Belanger setup above). Will that turbo be making its way into the engine bay permanently?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast