Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]

Cold Tire Temps WARNING!

Every year about this time, a cold snap (like in TX today) on a clear day BITES a Viper owner.
    I get the sad calls about insurance / repairs/totals. Etc.

"I just lost it" is a common diagnosis. NEWBEES especially, be wary.....

Recent Owners Manuals even address the issue of tire-temps and I believe the G4 Vipers with Michelin PS2 and PSS carry a 38f warning, that traction is diminished. Sport Cups are even worse. And as temps drop, so do your tire pressures!

Even on newer tires, the cold makes the rubber hard, less flexible-grippy. If the pavement is cold you wont build any appreciable heat at highway speeds. (concrete is much colder than asphault) You could snap-spin the car using on-ramps, off-ramps, and higher-G turns.

Tires that are 3+ years old are even WORSE!

And no, "Scrubbing" tires in yur cul-de-sac before you hit the interstate wont work.

So be careful out there, when the sun is beckoning and the roads are cold and dry......

Enthusiast
    Great advice, will save your car by listening to this.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    Good Advise ! Having ridden Super Sport Bikes for many years , makes you acutely aware

Enthusiast
    It blows my mind how temperature sensitive the Pirelli P Zeros are. In the summer on a hot day, they hooked like crazy. Now I can't even gas it in 2nd without wheel hopping spin. And this is in CA, where weather is mild compared to most of the US.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the warning JonB. I just bought a new set of PSSs from you last week (easy to think they are good to go, nice and grippy). I am very careful in the cold (learned that in my Z06). I often remind my wife about cold tires too.

Enthusiast
    Yeah, 36* outside today and I went for a drive. While not bad slippage, you can feel that the grip isn't the same. Just got to take it easy...

Yep, this happened locally this weekend.

Enthusiast

From the TX slick streets

Hey JonI can attest the semi cold snap today here in Tx. and lots of wrecks. Guess I should change from the Airline stuff to body or wrecker service. Hows Portland? And thanks for the call and info the other day. Wonder where Dave6666 went LOL
    Last edited by Late Apex; 11-12-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRucrazy View Post
    Yep, this happened locally this weekend.

That SUX, judging from paint transfer on k rail I bet that driver side is ugly. OUCH
    Last edited by Space Truckin; 11-12-2013 at 04:53 PM.

Great advice, Jon... and worth repeating every damn year.

Rich

Enthusiast
    50* is my limit, we just passed that point Sunday where all highs on the 10 day forecast are below that so I cleaned her up and put the cover on for winter. Last night we got our first half inch of snow that covered the grass this morning. Coincidence? Maybe. Or maybe the world is mourning with me that my baby will be sleeping for the next 5-6 months

Enthusiast
    Although I've only owned my Viper for 5 months, having owned other high HP cars (and having close calls in cold weather) have been great learning tools. I had my Gen 3 (PSS tires) out last night with ambient temps hanging in the Mid 40s. I knew it would be risky getting on it so just a nice early evening cruise to end it out for the year. With light snow this morning its time to hibernate now.

I also just had this discussion with my brother who has a C63 AMG as a DD w/ exhaust and ECU upgrade. Even though the AMG is much more tame than the viper it still makes over 500 bhp. Finally convinced him to set a spare set of wheels with dedicated snow tires would be in his best interest.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB ~ PartsRack View Post
    Every year about this time, a cold snap (like in TX today) on a clear day BITES a Viper owner.

Recent Owners Manuals even address the issue of tire-temps and I believe the G4 Vipers with Michelin PS2 and PSS carry a 38f warning, that traction is diminished. Sport Cups are even worse. And as temps drop, so do your tire pressures!

Even on newer tires, the cold makes the rubber hard, less flexible-grippy. If the pavement is cold you wont build any appreciable heat at highway speeds. (concrete is much colder than asphault) You could snap-spin the car using on-ramps, off-ramps, and higher-G turns.

And no, "Scrubbing" tires in yur cul-de-sac before you hit the interstate wont work.

So be careful out there, when the sun is beckoning and the roads are cold and dry......
    Thanks Jon for reminding everyone!! I just passed some of your information on to our Region.

Enthusiast
    Thank you for the reminder Jonb!

Enthusiast
    Westchester, New York/North myrtle beach SC
    Here in NY we are going down to the low 30's tonight now I don't feel bad about putting the viper into hibernation.

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada
    I just bought a set of winter tire and rims for the Viper and took her out this morning in 32F weather and it griped awesome. I took on a 2010 Maxima and WON !! Now tomorrow I'm thinking maybe take her to the drag strip now that its empty and see what times I can get on Goodyear assurance winter 265's in the rear.

Enthusiast
    Westchester, New York/North myrtle beach SC
    Really?

Enthusiast

Great Post Jon!

Enthusiast
    Great thread topic to have on here.

Enthusiast
    for those who have had them for a while, how do invos do in the cold? i got a new set that have only been on for a month. down in TX where it'll still be sunny but cold out, what's considered "too cold" that you wouldn't even go out for a ride? below 40?

Enthusiast
    Team SRT did winter testing on the same Rim that PartsRack partnered with OZ to develop: OZ 18" rims!

I think last yeasr Ohio winter party gathering (maybe 2 years ago?) SRT showed up on these wheels with snow tires on a Viper coupe! 4 fronts on the car........

We have em for $1649/set + tires. I recommend Bridgestone Blizzaks....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ttamez View Post
    for those who have had them for a while, how do invos do in the cold? i got a new set that have only been on for a month. down in TX where it'll still be sunny but cold out, what's considered "too cold" that you wouldn't even go out for a ride? below 40?
    "Runcraps" and "Shittos" terrible

I got a sunburn on the golf course today. 92 in inland CA. Car was hooking nicely.

Enthusiast
    I probably have everyone beat on old tires. Just pulled off the original set of tires on my Gen 1. They were stamped 1991. Surprised I never crashed!

....Tires that are 3+ years old are even WORSE!......
    is age (less than 7 yrs is what i heard before) bad even if tires never really heat cycled, are garaged, on car, not in the sun?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast