Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast

In search of the perfect lap timer / video system for Gen V

Hi guys,

I've been using Harry's Lap Timer (Grand Prix) on my iPhone in combination with a high accuracy GPS and a plug-in wireless OBD module for speed / throttle / RPM overlay. Trouble is, it works about 1/3 of the time on the Viper, about 3/4 of the time on the Camaro. I get "unknown video error" and other errors. Sometimes it records lap times but not video. I'm tired of fussing with it and am ready to upgrade. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. NOT a lap timer application in a phone, something standalone and more high-end. I've tried several phone apps and I'm ready for something more serious.
    2. Portable - I have two track cars and want to move it quickly and easily between the two.
    3. Integrated video and sensors, hopefully all in one self-contained unit
    4. Easy to use and process data. Easy to start / stop at the track (very important!). Easy to load track maps or record a new track (For example, Thunderhill 5-mile is so new it probably doesn't exist in many canned track maps). With Harry's it's nearly perfect and automatic- just overlay the video with OBD port data and the video is ready with the push of a button. If Harry's were more reliable, I would continue to use it.
    5. OBD data - speed / throttle / RPM etc.
    6. Accurate GPS
    7. A bonus would be if it has an easy way to stitch together your best lap, corner-by-corner analysis, Etc.
    8. Easy to use. I said it twice because this is the primary goal!

Does something like this exist or am I dreaming?

Thanks

Todd
    Last edited by VENOM V; 08-28-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Enthusiast
    Excellent question Todd as I am looking for the same thing. I am leaning towards the VBox Lite with the predictive lap timing feature but would love to hear some input from others.

same for me, using the same today and looking for the same things.

I use a combination of the AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD GP.

I like the system very much. You can use suction cup mounts. I had custom hard mounts made for my Gen V. I can put anyone in touch with the fabricator to have them duplicated.

I bought the AiM units from
    http://www.peterkrause.net/Krause_%2...C/Welcome.html
    Peter was very helpful with the set up.

Enthusiast
    Ditto on the AiM Solo DL and SmartyCam HD GP combo, easy to use in-depth data, predictive timing etc. The Solo DL is the while you are driving component the SmartyCam is your between runs learning tool that talks with the DL for all the OBDII data.

Peter is great to work with!

Richard

Enthusiast
    RSNAKE and Dusty1, do you guys have any pics of your set ups? My main concern is portability so I easily can swap it between my two cars. I think I'd go with the SmartyCam HD rather than the GP as that would be easier to mount/dismount quickly.

Hard to visualize how I'd mount these. I suppose I could do two suction cups, one for the Solo and the other for the SmartyCam.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VENOM V View Post
    RSNAKE and Dusty1, do you guys have any pics of your set ups? My main concern is portability so I easily can swap it between my two cars. I think I'd go with the SmartyCam HD rather than the GP as that would be easier to mount/dismount quickly.

Hard to visualize how I'd mount these. I suppose I could do two suction cups, one for the Solo and the other for the SmartyCam.

Thanks
    A suction cup on the Solo DL and another on a SmartyCam HD would be fine. There is only one wire going from the OBD-II port to the Solo DL and one wire from the Solo DL to the SmartyCam. That is it for all data and power. They camera turns on automatically and the data is overlaid in real time as the video is recorded.

I had hard mounts made as the NASA rule book requires.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RSNAKE View Post
    A suction cup on the Solo DL and another on a SmartyCam HD would be fine. There is only one wire going from the OBD-II port to the Solo DL and one wire from the Solo DL to the SmartyCam. That is it for all data and power. They camera turns on automatically and the data is overlaid in real time as the video is recorded.

I had hard mounts made as the NASA rule book requires.
    I will be running my Camaro in NASA full time next year, sounds like I need a hard mount for that. Hmmm, I'll have to do some thinking. Perhaps a Smartycam roll bar mount for the Camaro and a suction cup for my Viper, which is for fun HPDE days. Sounds like I need to call Peter to sort the details out.

Enthusiast
    Todd with the AIM system you can transfer it to one car to another. You just need the cables hooked up with the connectors on the second car.. I have a similar system that's on my kart. Where I can transfer it.. Tony at TC Design in Campbell does the professional installation on these systems..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Ub...GRtiea0JQhtjlA

My friend Mike with the AIM DL unit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eLHBxiLGkU

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by V10LEE View Post
    Todd with the AIM system you can transfer it to one car to another. You just need the cables hooked up with the connectors on the second car.. I have a similar system that's on my kart. Where I can transfer it.. Tony at TC Design in Campbell does the professional installation on these systems..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Ub...GRtiea0JQhtjlA

My friend Mike with the AIM DL unit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eLHBxiLGkU
    Damn, that go kart vid is sucking me in slowly. So many toys, so little money left, LOL

Edwin's vid at T-hill West looks pretty awesome. I like the gage set up. Is that a standard set up, or do you need to buy an additional software module? Jeez, getting pricey this Aim stuff.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rw99 View Post
    Todd, whatever the solution, make sure the GPS rate is at least 10 Hz... 5 is OK, but 10+ gives the data resolution you'll want for fine analyses...
    Noted, thanks Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsled View Post
    Thanks Jonathan. How do you incorporate video overlayed with data? I'm lazy, I'm hoping it's easy. With the Aim system, it looks somewhat automatic.

Are you going to be running a system at Laguna Seca? If so, I'd like to check it out.

Todd, whatever the solution, make sure the GPS rate is at least 10 Hz... 5 is OK, but 10+ gives the data resolution you'll want for fine analyses...

Enthusiast
    AIM bought smartycam and now offers and all in one camera that you don't have to sync. It's on my short list due to simplicity alone. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro.../smartycam-hd/

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by MTGTS View Post
    AIM bought smartycam and now offers and all in one camera that you don't have to sync. It's on my short list due to simplicity alone. http://www.aim-sportline.com/eng/pro.../smartycam-hd/
    If the SmartyCam HD can interface with and overlay OBDII data (speed, RPM, throttle, braking) without a Solo DL, then the SmartyCam HD may be all I need. I'll look into this more, as simplicity is very high on my priorities too.

Thanks

Enthusiast
    DUSTY and RSNAKE and anyone else that knows,

I'm converging on using the SmartyCam HD as a standalone unit in the Viper, at least for now (may add the Solo DL later, perhaps just in the Camaro).

For the SmartyCam HD as a standalone unit, can you please confirm which of these are available through the OBDII port and will overlay on the video:
    • Speed
    • RPM
    • Throttle
    • Lap Time and Best Lap
    • Track Map
    • G’s
    • Would be nice, if available:
    • Brake
    • Gear

The AIM website doesn't show much data at all supported for Chrysler products, but it sounds like in-depth data is available from your experience.

Thanks guys, hoping to get this sorted quickly so I can use it at Laguna Seca in a couple weeks.

Todd

Enthusiast
    Venom V I run them both so haven't tried running the SmartyCam stand alone. The AIM interface picks up all the Dodge data that is available via the OBDII plug, the solo finds the track, and gives you predictive timing which is really helpful when driving to see if you are running really hot or not. Also gives you your fastest laps grouped. Peter can tell you what you get running the SmartyCam alone.

Richard

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty1 View Post
    Venom V I run them both so haven't tried running the SmartyCam stand alone. The AIM interface picks up all the Dodge data that is available via the OBDII plug, the solo finds the track, and gives you predictive timing which is really helpful when driving to see if you are running really hot or not. Also gives you your fastest laps grouped. Peter can tell you what you get running the SmartyCam alone.

Richard
    Sounds encouraging. What is predictive time?

Todd

Enthusiast
    Thanks Jonathan. How do you incorporate video overlayed with data? I'm lazy, I'm hoping it's easy. With the Aim system, it looks somewhat automatic.
    Thanks for the kind words, Richard and David! This tech is a WONDERFUL thing! Let me help answer a few questions in regard to Viper installs and options.

The AiM SmartyCam HD and the Video VBOX overlay information real-time onto the video. The cameras are more expensive than "action-cams" because they have processors and san operating system to convert the data and write it on top of the video so it's DONE when you come in. You can arrange the available information on the background of the video in a variety of ways, plus logos and other cool stuff, but the beauty of these two systems are that the data (speed, g's, lap times, day and date as well as most of the time a track map) are, at a minimum, on the video and playable on a laptop RIGHT away.

Other systems (MoTeC with DIVA or VCS, Traqmate with ChaseCam/GoPro/Replay, Race-Keeper) all record separate video and data files that are combined in the software when you replay it. This can also be done with third-party "rendering" that combines raw video with data exported from a variety of loggers. Unfortunately, this takes time and requires specialized knowledge and practice, often in short supply at a busy track day or Club race.

Quote Originally Posted by MTGTS View Post
    AiM has always designed and built the SmartyCam at their facility in Italy. Originally introduced in 2009, it went through a LOT of teething issues that tried the patience of consumers and dealer support folks alike. The HD version, introduced a year ago, is MUCH better. They held the release after the announcement FIFTEEN MONTHS rather than putting it out before it was ready. There are two versions, an all in one the size of a cigarette pack and a separate bullet cam/recorder box with preview screen (the all in one has that too) that work great. There is a delay in getting the all in one right now because they are incorporating an external mic input into the that model for the next revision, based on user feedback.

It is the simplest and most reliable option for "intelligent" video, that is data actually overlaid onto the video, ready to play when you return to the paddock.

If the SmartyCam HD can interface with and overlay OBDII data (speed, RPM, throttle, braking) without a Solo DL, then the SmartyCam HD may be all I need. I'll look into this more, as simplicity is very high on my priorities too.
    Yes, the SmartyCam HD can interface with the standard OBD-II data template specifically for the later (post 2007) Vipers. Not a lot of information, but a very valuable! RPM and throttle input are the two big benefits. The SmartyCam HD, an external GPS-05B antenna and the ECU Bridge terminated in an OBD-II plug is all that is needed to generate the video. About $1418 using the all in one camera and $1548 using the separate bullet cam GP version, with antenna, cables and mounts.

The benefit of the Solo DL/SmartyCam HD combo is that you can now LOG (or save for later analysis and learning) this information, display it using the powerful Race Studio Analysis software (colored maps based on throttle percentage or engine RPM, for example) and have INCLUDED a display that shows lap times, lap count, speeds and, most importantly, predictive lap timing, basically the BEST in-car report card of what you are doing well and what can be done better... more on that later. Plus, the Solo DL eliminates the need for the ECU Bridge AND the antenna, because the Solo DL incorporates a GPS array of antennas and converts the OBD-II data from the ECU on it's own.

The Solo DL/SmartyCam HD all in one combo is less than $400 more than the SC HD/ECU Bridge bundles, including a mount for the Solo DL. It's a no brainer, IMO.

DUSTY and RSNAKE and anyone else that knows,

I'm converging on using the SmartyCam HD as a standalone unit in the Viper, at least for now (may add the Solo DL later, perhaps just in the Camaro).

For the SmartyCam HD as a standalone unit, can you please confirm which of these are available through the OBDII port and will overlay on the video:
    • Speed
    • RPM
    • Throttle
    • Lap Time and Best Lap
    • Track Map
    • G’s
    • Would be nice, if available:
    • Brake
    • Gear

The AIM website doesn't show much data at all supported for Chrysler products, but it sounds like in-depth data is available from your experience.

Thanks guys, hoping to get this sorted quickly so I can use it at Laguna Seca in a couple weeks.

Todd
    For the ECU Bridge AND the Solo DL, you are correct!

Speed is GPS speed, either from the external antenna or the Solo DL.
    RPM is provided
    Throttle position (actually Pedal position, much more useful) is provided
    Best Lap Time/Best Lap Number and Current Lap Time/Current Lap Number is provided
    Track Map is provided for those in the database (almost ALL NA tracks, as well as worldwide). With a little time, you can make your own
    Longitudinal and Lateral G's are included, VERY useful and a rough guide for comparative analysis to see where you're leaving room on the table for improvement
    No Brake yet...
    Gear is possible, based on speed and engine RPM. If you have patience and do the calibration (run through the gears from rest, staying in each gear for 5+ seconds), you can get that, but I think it's a PITA.

I can help (and others, I'm sure) get you ready for MRLS.

Sounds encouraging. What is predictive time?

Todd
    Ah! Predictive Lap Time is one of the most utilized features by pro drivers to determine whether they are gaining or losing time through a corner or complex of corners by using a particular gear/line/approach or improving/losing in their brake application in longer brake zones. NOT available in the non-logging ECU Bridge setups, this is the major reason to go with the Solo DL.

You have two display options (I set this up on the Solo DL's I send out) to see this.

One is the PredT (or Predicted Time), which shows WHAT lap time you WOULD do if you were to keep up the same pace for the rest of the lap. Perfect for those evening bench racing discussions that end in "I lost EIGHT-TENTHS behind that P-car that pulled out as I was about to pass him." <grin> But this is a GREAT tool. It's a great carrot and provides constantly updated and a real-time progress bar on YOUR performance, BEFORE you come back in and download the data. This information is not displayable on the video. Yet.

The second is +/-, basically a real-time readout of the variance between what you're doing against the best you've done that session. I like this better because it keeps me from misting up and keeps me focused on the task at hand, which is "am I doing better doing it THIS way?" instead of focusing on a lap time that may or may not be attainable.

It's cool and both these systems (Video VBOX Pro and Lite, AiM SmartyCam HD with ECU Bridge/Solo DL or EVO4 logger) are really fantastic tools for knowing what you did and finding ways to improve...

Enthusiast
    I ordered the Smarty Cam HD and was told they won't be available for another 1.5 months. I'm guessing due to the revision for an external mic as Pro Coach posted.

Enthusiast
    The GP version is available now in 60 degree and 120 degree FOV (field of view), I have several demo and slightly used SC HD's in stock.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCoach View Post
    The GP version is available now in 60 degree and 120 degree FOV (field of view), I have several demo and slightly used SC HD's in stock.
    What is the GP version?

Enthusiast
    GP version is separate bullet camera/recorder body version. Same components as all in one, just packaged differently. Usually recommended for formula/sports racing cars but I have a lot of folks that like the separate version in a GT car. $100 more than the all in one.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ProCoach View Post
    GP version is separate bullet camera/recorder body version. Same components as all in one, just packaged differently. Usually recommended for formula/sports racing
    cars but I have a lot of folks that like the separate version in a GT car. $100 more than the all in one.
    ahhh, I'm looking for the all in one. If you had any of those I'd be interested. Might be worth it to wait for the updated version though.

Enthusiast
    There you go, thanks ProCoach! Really enjoying mine, a wealth of information or humiliation depending on your results!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast