Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

3.55's should be in every gen3

Just had my recall done on my 03. So while I was there why not have them install a set of 3.55's that I had picked up. Hands down this is worth every penny. Makes the car that much more of a pleasure to drive. The enjoyment level just went up a lot!!!!!

Enthusiast
    Agreed! Best mod for the money.

Enthusiast
    I'm scared shi^less to have that recall done, I'll have more squeaks,rattles and damage to my pristine interior. Waiting for someone around town to have it done first....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Char View Post
    I'm scared shi^less to have that recall done, I'll have more squeaks,rattles and damage to my pristine interior. Waiting for someone around town to have it done first....
    What recall are you guys refering to?
    Last edited by Mr. Bill; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 AM.

Enthusiast
    3.55s in the Gen III, totally agreed, best mod ever.

Gears in any year I think. 3:73 feel pretty good as well..

Enthusiast
    Did 3.55's as well as Wavetrac Posi and the car is way better now coming out of the corners at the track

Yup I did it in 2 of my 3 Gen IIIs. Such a great mod, and with our 6th gear, it doesn't really raise cruising RPMs at all

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
    What recall are you guys refering to?
    Airbag...hear they have to remove the dash.

Nice, how much was the install and parts total on 3.55's?
    I am really considering doing this upgrade on my gen 4

Enthusiast
    I bought the 2013 3.55 gear kit (includes new bolts,nut,gears, and crush) for $450. The install was around $650 and they had to buy a few things like fluid and a new bearing.

Enthusiast
    Cant wait to do the same to my gen 4, loved them on my gen 3. It is the best bang for the mod you can do for these cars, period.

I keep debating this one.. I do a lot of highway with my car and I like the top-end now but it's so tempting.

One thing's for sure Pony - It's one more reason to get rid of those run-flats soon :-)

Enthusiast
    Ed, you hit the nail on the head with that one. Finally closed on my new house so hopefully soon.

I've got 3.33's in mine, but I've also got the revised 5th and 6th in the transmission. 3.55's would be fun, but probably kill too much top end and run too high of RPM's on the highway with the updated trans gears. Plus, since I'm done road racing the car, I might go FI in the future.

Enthusiast
    Yup, Have them in mine, LOVE 'em!!prob go to 3.33's when i go FI, but for now, enjoying them!!!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by No hemi View Post
    Yup, Have them in mine, LOVE 'em!!prob go to 3.33's when i go FI, but for now, enjoying them!!!
    Unless things have changed within the past 2 weeks, no one is making a VIPER rated 3.33. There are Corvette ones floating around out there which you do not want to use (pinion gear snout much smaller) and they put a spacer to upsize it for the Viper diff bearings. I've seen several sheared off under heavy use.

Do these 3.55 gears help with speed, as in, 1/4 mile times? Or mainly just for cruising speeds?

Enthusiast
    It's like putting 80 more( or so) hp to to your viper , if you want to know more ask Jon B, he knows a thing or two about gears!!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by brifri11 View Post
    Do these 3.55 gears help with speed, as in, 1/4 mile times? Or mainly just for cruising speeds?
    It would help get you off the line better, and I know for the Gen 4 guys it would put you in a better spot crossing the traps.

Quote Originally Posted by brifri11 View Post
    quarter mile definitely help. 1/2 mile or standing mile maybe not. you will limit your top speed by increasing the rear-end gear ratio, but in a 1/4 mile you're nowhere near that anyway and your acceleration will be better. (but also a little bit trickier to get traction from the start)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    It would help get you off the line better, and I know for the Gen 4 guys it would put you in a better spot crossing the traps.
    absolutely - changes your shift timing within a run (you'll be shifting quicker). I finish a 1/4 mile always on the border of shift to 4th or rev-limiter in 3rd for 100 feet. If I had 3.55 I would definitely be in 4th and pulling across the finish.

Enthusiast
    This is a good calc sheet to put your values in to figure out where you are when changing rear gears, tires, or transmission gearing.

Enthusiast
    what is the mph effect on top speed with 3.55's versus stock.

I went from 3.42's to 4.56's in my 2001 TA. cut the top end from 188 down to 155. But picked up on the 1/4 mile times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
    what is the mph effect on top speed with 3.55's versus stock.

I went from 3.42's to 4.56's in my 2001 TA. cut the top end from 188 down to 155. But picked up on the 1/4 mile times.
    Use the sheet I just linked above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast