VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida

Alcantara Interior Accents on the GTS

I've been wanting to do this for a while and decided to get it done.

I've always loved the look of Alcantara wrapped steering wheels. I love the feeling even more. The sure grip/feeling it gives you is awesome. I think the Viper should have come like this from the factory, at least, as an option. Anyway... regardless, I wanted to do it to mine. In addition to the wrap I also wanted to add a touch more diameter to the wheel. In the end, I had 1/16" high density foam wrapped on the wheel which added about 1/8" to the diameter. Not a ton, but enough to make it feel a bit larger. I then had it wrapped in Alcantara with red stitching to match what was already on the wheel from factory. (The FE's had red stitching on the wheel) So as to avoid damaging the original wheel from my car, I bought a second wheel from a 2001 Viper. X2 Builders had it. The original is wrapped in a a bag and put into a box so as to keep it in case I ever sell the car.

Since I was having this done, I figured I would replace the shift and Parking Brake boots. The crap that was on there was OK... but I wanted to upgrade a bit. The original parking brake boot was done anyway because the elastic was gone and it was beginning to show signs of small cracks in the material. It had to go. What I did was to upgrade the shift boot with Alcantara as well and added a double red stitch on it. I also had them set it up for a tie to tighten it to the shifter as opposed to an elastic. It'll last longer and never give me a gap on the shifter. On the parking brake, I had them extend it about 3" keeping the "curve" of the original. This avoids the chrome shaft from being seen when the parking brake is down (disengaged). Looks real clean and more "finished".

Here's the final result.

Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

Enthusiast
    Nice man, looks good!

I was just thinking about doing this the other day. How much to wrap the wheel? looks great!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Double0fox View Post
    I was just thinking about doing this the other day. How much to wrap the wheel? looks great!
    Just the wheel, including the added padding, $390. The boots were an extra $120. Done locally, I did not have to ship anything back and forth.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida

Enthusiast
    Looks great! Bet it won't be long and you will want the seats done too.

Enthusiast
    Nice look! The MGW shift knob looks awesome too.

How well does Alcantara hold up over time?

ooooohhh, the t/a may have to get that with orange stiche

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by St.Char View Post
    Looks great! Bet it won't be long and you will want the seats done too.
    I just saw that the seat is beginning to "split" a bit at the shoulder. It's an indent in the seat, on the back, at shoulder height. I think it's from getting in and out of the car. May be an excuse to do this if it gets worse. ;-)

If I do it, it'll be with higher end leather on the bolsters and headrest, Alcantara in the centers... let's see.... let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by C.J View Post
    Nice look! The MGW shift knob looks awesome too.

How well does Alcantara hold up over time?
    The Alcantara holds up reasonably well. It does begin to get some matting when used a great deal. However, you can take care of that. Other than that, if you're not somebody that drives the cars after an oil change without washing your hands.... you're good.... ;-)

Given the limited miles on the car, I would say I have years before I have to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesrt View Post
    ooooohhh, the t/a may have to get that with orange stiche
    I agree.... ;-) Have it done!!!
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida

Enthusiast
    Looks awesome!

Nicely done! Adds that certain touch

Where did you get the shift knob? I tried to get one made with the logo from an online vendor and was told "NO BUENO"...

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by NetkoGTS View Post
    Where did you get the shift knob? I tried to get one made with the logo from an online vendor and was told "NO BUENO"...
    MGW. You have to call them though. They may have blue/white combo. Don't recall.

They will include the "adapter" if you have a short shifter. However, it will raise the shifter quite a bit. I drilled and tapped mine to fit without adapter and it will fit real low, as it should, in my opinion. I love mine.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida

Luis, is the alcantara charcoal or black?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    It's definitely black. What happened s that I brightened the shot a bit to make it easier to see in the photo and so it looks a bit grey in the shot.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida