New Owner of a 96 GTS

After much deliberation (and saving), I went for it. A 96 GTS! It’s freakin awesome. It has 16,000 miles. I still can't believe it’s mine!!!

As I've always been one for not-so-perfect timing, I flew to Europe the day after buying it. The seller agreed very nicely to let it stay in his garage until I get back. The car is near St. Louis, and I live near New York City.

Anyone know a good company to go with (cost wise and safety wise) for shipping a Viper? It is about 1000 miles distance...

After that I'll need to store it in my rather small garage with a lift. Preferably a 4 post. Anyone have good ideas about lifts? I’m mostly wondering how they get a lift to my house and build it on site...sounds expensive...I also want a lift that is safe and going to last.

Or perhaps someone can direct me to a thread about lifts and/or shipping on this site?

It feels great to own a Viper!!! I can’t wait to drive it again!
    front view.jpgheadlight.jpgside view.jpg

Enthusiast
    Congrats!! Can't go wrong with a B/W

It is completely stock? Do you know how old the tires are? Sorry, don't know much about lifts... but wondering how you can fit one in a small garage.

If you search on here, you should see a few threads about car carriers. I was going to purchase a car across the country and did some research. I think a guy by the name of Gary Almond used to be the go to guy, but I'm not sure if he is doing it any more. Also, I don't know exactly where you live, but it can be a hell of a lot cheaper if you were to meet the car carrier at a closer location and drive it home. Just something to bring up when you start getting quotes.

Good luck with your journey!

Nice! I had Reliable ship my 96 GTS from Texas to St.Louis.

Enthusiast
    Nice looking viper!

Congrats!! Sorry I don't have any great advice on transporters or lifts, but once you get the car back home the NY/CT Viper Club can help you out with almost anything else. Tons of great Viper owners around this area. I'm near White Plains. Hope to see you soon!

Congrats......you have a pm message

Enthusiast
    Congrats!! Can't beat B&W. I 've used InterCity, Thomas Sunday for long haul in the past. Excellent carriers.

Thanks thetalonguy, and yes, it is esentiallly stock. No engine mods, there is a bolt-on muffler delete on it right now, and the car came with the original exhause as well. The tires have plenty of tred, but are getting a bit old, I think they were put on in 2008 or 09, so I figure I have 1 more season in them, especially since I'm not going to drive it hard (and only in good weather) while I get a feel for it.

My garage isn't small really, but I have 2 other cars (a Wrangler, a Mini Cooper and a snowblower, etc) that I'd prefer to keep in there as well. It is a 2 car garage, about 17' wide x 17' deep x 10' high. I will probably have to modify the garage door at least. Thanks for the ideas on shipping.

I think I saw your car on Craigslist a little while back. That is a real nice color combo!

Enthusiast
    Welcome and nice GTS. Have a 2000 GTS myself. Enjoy!

Thanks! Can't wait to get it to my house and drive it! I realize now I haven't driven it yet as the owner of it, only a test-driver!

Enthusiast
    Westchester, New York/North myrtle beach SC
    Congratulation,like Ed I'm located in westchester,two years ago I bought mine from Ohio and drove it back with my son and it was one of the best trips of my life so think about driving it.

Enthusiast
    Agree with Anonymous --------------trip home would be alot of fun, but if you do ship Reliable or Intercity are good choices.

Enthusiast
    Welcome to the Viper world

Enthusiast
    Welcome aboard...great looking vehicle!!!

Awesome car and color combo!!! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Houston View Post
    Awesome car and color combo!!! Congrats!
    Thanks! I've always been quite partial to the b/w myself.

I think I remember you telling me about your road trip with your son at tators tech session last fall. I am the guy who was there without a viper(yet). I would drive it...but I'm doing so much traveling right now...I think by the time I get home I'm just going to want to stay home. Especially to sit and wait for a viper delivery!

Unhappy reply to anonymous

My above post was supposed to have included a reply to anonymous...i guess I'm just a Noob

Enthusiast
    Welcome, vipertank.

In the third pic the Michelin Man on the tire looks like he's waving hello to everyone here. great pic

Tim

Welcome to the VOA Vipertank!

CC road trips are a blast... otherwise Reliable has worked for me.