Hybrid View

Enthusiast

Spark Plug Change Tricks?

Anyone got insight on tricks to get to the two back spark plugs for a change? Any special tool to get back there, or tips? My big ham fists can hardly get hold of the plug wires back there, much less the plugs.

Last time I did this I was putting headers on, so not much of a big deal then.

Enthusiast
    3/8" ratchet with a pivoting head was a necessity for me on those as well as a 3" wobble extension. I used a standard 6pt deepwell socket also because the spark plug sockets don't give you any play. No matter what, they suck though, especially the PS.

Enthusiast
    The same as above, but I used a 6" extension.

Spark plug socket - universal joint - 6" extension - 3/8" ratchet

Enthusiast
    I use a swivel-head ratchet, along with either a 2" or 1" extension, depending on which plug. The swivel head ratchet makes things a lot easier.

Enthusiast
    I just use a variety of extensions and ratchets until I get a combo that's just right for those tight ones. I got used to changing spark plugs on an LS1 F-body, so I had a pretty good variety of tools...the Viper was a breeze compared to that.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    I just use a variety of extensions and ratchets until I get a combo that's just right for those tight ones. I got used to changing spark plugs on an LS1 F-body, so I had a pretty good variety of tools...the Viper was a breeze compared to that.
    Exactly those were the suck. If you could get quick at those everything else was a breeze.

Be happy your not working on a boxster or 911. You need a double swivel for those things unless you drop the motor. Cant to that on the water cools as easy as the old air cooled.

Enthusiast
    Anybody else besides me remove that airbox on the passenger side to make the rear two plugs much easier to get to?

I also use a bit of duct tape to hold the perfect combination of sockets, swivels, extensions together.

Last important ingredient - a cold frosty beverage to celebrate getting that PIA job done.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Anybody else besides me remove that airbox on the passenger side to make the rear two plugs much easier to get to?

I also use a bit of duct tape to hold the perfect combination of sockets, swivels, extensions together.

Last important ingredient - a cold frosty beverage to celebrate getting that PIA job done.
    Just about to get to this and a cold frosty beverage will absolutely be in the plans.

It is days like these that I am glad I have ceiling fans in the garage.