Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Successful Gen IV Tuning with Torrie McPhail and HPTuner

Torrie and I spent the weekend getting my 2008 Vert tuned using the HPTuner 2.25 beta software.

First and foremost, Torrie was a pleasure to work with, patient, and dealt with all my questions.

He remote tuned my Viper here in North Texas from his place in Florida. I have not yet gotten the car on the dyno to see where the numbers are, but hope to get that done this week. The car seems to be pulling stronger by the seat of the pants dyno. This car made 608rwhp recently and is one of the first ones that Torrie has worked on with headers, catbacks, catless, with a Gen V intake. I will hopefully get solid dyno numbers this week and of course I will share those.

Outside of power, I worked with Torrie today on the car's throttle response. I can surely say that the throttle response on my car is better than it was with the Mopar Race PCM. Once I get some more miles on the car to make sure all is well, Torrie thinks that we can possibly squeeze a bit more response out of the tune.

The car is throwing no codes that would inhibit getting it inspected here locally in Texas.

Skip shift has been disabled. Torrie can tune for any octane or fuel, even E85 or race gas. Torrie set the RPMs at 6500/6600. Idle speed can be set as desired. The only thing that was not exposed in the tuning that I wanted was the TPMS light. Once you get into the tuning software yourself, some of these things are very simple to do yourself, but there is a whole lot to tuning these things that requires a lot of experience.

The HP Tuner equipment and credits are not inexpensive. The hardware and software license costs $1199. 20 credits will be required to license a Gen IV Viper. Credits are about $50. I did not have any Dodge credits for my HP Tuner. Torrie put me together a package deal for the needed credits and him remote tuning the car.

Currently to use the tuning equipment you will be required to have a throttle relearn done, most likely at the dealership. I have a great Viper tech at Huffines Dodge in Plano, TX and he met me in the customer service bay. I used the tuner software to read the “stock tune” and write a file on my laptop before going to the dealer. When I got to the dealer, I flashed my stock PCM for the first time, then Jack the Viper tech did a throttle relearn procedure. (I did bring my Mopar PCM just in case we bricked the stock PCM.) Everything went smoothly and I was in and out in 15 minutes.

From there, Torrie and I used “TeamViewer” software to give him access to my laptop which had my copy of the HPTuner software on. He could analyze and edit my tune. Torrie could make changes and then I could drive the car to see how things took. Being that this is his first tune with an end user modded Viper, he was surely learning some things as we moved forward that were different than were on his personal Viper. After a couple of days of going back and forth, trading about 100 emails and IMs, reading and flashing and reflashing, we got “done” tonight.

The car is driving well and pulling very hard. I am looking forward to getting solid dyno numbers this week if i can.

And this I know many of you will like all that a whole lot of burble and pop are back as well.

Torrie is here on our forums under the tmcphail user name, and you can visit his Unleashed Tuning website. I had never hear of Torrie so I did some checking around on him before going down this path with him and found him to have a stellar reputation in the tuning world and that certainly left me at ease with giving him access to my laptop and tuning my Viper.
    Last edited by FrgMstr; 06-09-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: fixed links

Enthusiast
    Man this is just too cool! Congrats guys

First,thank you guys for taking a lead doing these stuff.
    FrgMstr, how much Hp gain you expect after the tuning?.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 09redviper View Post
    Actually we never even discussed this. All this being so new, I don't think anyone knows. Maybe Torrie will ping in on what his expectations are.

Enthusiast
    Congrats FRGMSTR...!!!

Looks great. Can't wait to see your dyno result...

Very nice keep us posted.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 09redviper View Post
    I gained 30WHP/34WTQ on my car which was a stock 2010 with high flow cats. We will find out shortly how much I can squeeze out of Kyle's Viper in a bit.

So, question. With this tuning capability, you have brought up the RPM limit to 6600. Is it possible to take the RPM limit to 7200? My 2008 just seemed to get faster as it got to the RPM limit. Where can the redline be pushed to?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    So, question. With this tuning capability, you have brought up the RPM limit to 6600. Is it possible to take the RPM limit to 7200? My 2008 just seemed to get faster as it got to the RPM limit. Where can the redline be pushed to?
    For you 10,000 rpm

Enthusiast
    Its not an issue of what we can increase the actual rev limit to, its more to the point of what should we allow it to be safely. Yes I can set it to 7200 but I don't think its feasible or smart to run it up that high unless you have a purpose built motor for that.

Enthusiast
    Also here is the direct link to my site with the HPTuners package and the dyno sheet from my car

http://www.unleashedtuning.com/content/view/72/17/

OOOhhhhh man and my Viper just ran out of warranty....... This is so temping. Price is WAY less than I would have imagined.

So let me get this correct, there is no longer a need for the Mopar Race ECU correct? If not anyone want to buy mine .

Enthusiast
    That would be correct.

Enthusiast
    Are you logging air/fuel ratio during these tuning sessions? Have a wideband installed?

Enthusiast
    Yes of course, on my car a wideband was extensively used. 12.8 was command and actual target at WOT

Enthusiast
    Looking forward to some numbers!!! This is great news!!!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalidae View Post
    Looking forward to some numbers!!! This is great news!!!
    You can see that here :

http://www.unleashedtuning.com/content/view/72/17/

Enthusiast
    I just got an appointment set today at 4:30 to get a few dyno pulls in over at True Street here in North Texas. w00t!!1

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcphail View Post
    Thanks for link...great #'s!!! Don't want to hijack thread but will you be working on the Gen V software at some point!!!

FrgMstr looking forward to your dyno pulls!!! Please PM w/ info for dealer & viper tech you use. I've been to a few dealers in the DFW area w/ my last viper & was not impressed. If you have one you've used for a while & trust I'd like the info...Thanks!!!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by FrgMstr View Post
    I just got an appointment set today at 4:30 to get a few dyno pulls in over at True Street here in North Texas. w00t!!1
    Text me your numbers sucka Good luck!

Enthusiast
    I would imagine at some point HPTuners will work towards adding support for the 13-up cars. I cannot definitively say when that will happen. I am just happy they enabled 08-10.

Word of caution from the research I have done with the rev limit you can end up with a damaged engine very quickly!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalidae View Post
    FrgMstr looking forward to your dyno pulls!!! Please PM w/ info for dealer & viper tech you use. I've been to a few dealers in the DFW area w/ my last viper & was not impressed. If you have one you've used for a while & trust I'd like the info...Thanks!!!

I have used Huffines in Plano, TX for years now. The Viper Tech there is name Jack, great guy, and generally knows his stuff. Have never had an issue with his work, but I turn most of my own wrenches. She is going in tomorrow to have the window regulator fixed under warranty though. Bill Buckley is my service advisor there, and has also worked well for me too.

Recently Colorado lost its esteemed Viper tech to the DFW area. Glenn Pribbenow is now with Dallas Dodge off of 635 and Jupiter Rd. I have not used him personally, but the guys in Colorado were sad to lose him.

Looking forward to seeing what gains Torrie found on a full bolt on car

Enthusiast
    Yeah me too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast