Enthusiast

Angry Intake Manifold Bolts???

Hello all and thanks for reading, I'm having the time of my life doing a spark plug wire change on my 2003 dodge viper. Let me tell you I have run into every problem under the sun you could think of. Let me start at the beginning, I started getting ready to take off the bolts on the intake manifold and when I open the hood and take a look I see that they are allen screws, Round head, 3/16 allen wrench in the middle. Now, I thought that these bolts were suppose to be 11mm head with a T-30 Torx in the top. Needless to say I continued, I got most of the bolts out but there are 3 of them that are stripped out from whoever installed them and looks like they are not coming out. I went to the dodge dealership parts department and ordered the manifold bolts and when they arrived. Allen screws again?!?!?! So I return the bolts and ask the guy to go up one year and down one year to see if the manifold bolt number was any different. They were and the 2002 and the 2004 bolts were the same the 2003 were different, we both agreed that was weird and he said the 2004 bolts were the ones I was looking for. I ordered those bolts and when they arrive, Surprise they are 11mm head, yet no torx in the top. So my questions are as follows, #1 Am I correct that the bolts are suppose to be 11mm head with t-30 torx? #2 If so does anyone have a part number or know where I can get them. #3 If I am wrong can someone please tell me what is suppose to be there and the specs of the bolts. #4 should I replace coil packs while doing the wires just for extra precautions. 2003 dodge viper, 14k miles. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and I can get my car back on the road. Thanks.

Tech Team

The bolts in the early '03 were a pain. It requires a ball end 3/16 allen socket to get to the rear ones on the drivers side. I would cut down a allen wrench and remove the fuel rail for more access to the bolts. The replacement bolt # was a 6035666 then changed to a #00154777 which was the bolts they used on the early Gen 1 cars. Which did not have the torx in the middle of then. The bolt itself is a 1/4-20 thread with a 7/16 head. A 11mm does fit also but the bolt is not metric. The valve cover bolts and the cylinder head bolts on the intake side in the valley are all the same as the intake bolts for gen1-gen3

Enthusiast
    I replaced all my intake bolts with SS 3/16 Round allen head bolts when I did my coils and wires last year on my 04 Ram SRT10, they were 1/2x20x1 and used a long ball end allen wrench that I made to fit a 1/4 drive socket so it would fit between the runners, easy after that.

Enthusiast
    Thanks for the replies. These are a pain to get out because they are stripped, I only have 4 to go and they are seeming like I'm not getting them out. I am for sure changing them over to actual bolts with 7/16 so that they won't be a pain next time.