Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Enthusiast
    I think his tires which he admits aren't the best are going to be the limiting factor here. Better modulation may have accounted for the reduced distance, a win either way. Vipers have never been known for over the top braking, which is kind of a good thing as anything abrupt tends to unsettle these things quickly.

Enthusiast
    It is a great write up and added info for the Viper community, but still the best bang for buck is the 40mm rear caliper upgrade, it changes the braking from 70/30 to more like 60/40 so less front wheel lock up and the car is balanced out better
    I believe JonB was/is working with Tom on one more run of these?

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Viper View Post
    that much money and all you got was a 13' to 15' improvement? Seems a little weak for that kinda money.... I too want to upgrade my Gen1 but I really expect to see improvement that makes the cost acceptable. Is that a normal improvement for a big brake kit? I love your write- up and all the detail you brought with it I just would have thought you would be flying through the windshield with those brakes...... am I looking at this wrong?
    OK... I might be able to shed some light on this that might give you a different view of things.

With any mod there are targets. Some may seem silly, however, like anything, it all depends on how you look at it. A Gen V Viper stops from 60 in about 93 to 95 feet depending on what review you see. Gen 3 and 4 in about 95 to 97. A current Ferrari F12 Berlinetta stops in about 105 feet. A Porsche Carrera & a C7 Corvette in about 95. A C6 ZR1 in about 90. A Lamborghini Aventador in about 100.... Some of those I mentioned have the newest ceramic brake setups. You get the point... Stopping from 60 in 90 to 100 feet is excellent. Better is doing that without brake fade consistently.

Going back to this mod, with the old tires (8 plus years old), I dropped to about 100 feet. I just put a brand new set of tires on there. I am certain that the braking is likely under 100 feet now. I have not measured it with the new tires. The new slotted & larger front rotors and wider slotted rears will give me both stronger brakes and less potential for fade. I also got better modulation and pedal travel, which I prefer, that will vary on driving style. In the end, is that worth the $3K?.... It all depends on the driver... For me... No question.

Another point of view.... 15 feet is about a 13% improvement in braking. For just 60 MPH that over a car length difference. That's a pretty big delta.

In the end, my point is, getting a 30% improvement in braking is never going to happen with $3K on any performance car. An improvement like that would mean the car would stop from 60 in 80 feet. I don't know that street tires could do that anyway. There are limits....

Don't want this to go over the wrong way.... Just explaining the reasoning and limits a bit....
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida
    2002 Dodge Viper GTS - FE #298 & 2013 Dodge Viper GTS

Enthusiast
    kool

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Detlef View Post
    Did mine a few years back as well.
    beautiful brake and wheel set-up
    ;-)

Beautiful car. This is exactly the same setup I want to upgrade my 97 GTS. I wish I was more car savvy. Thanks

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    It is a great write up and added info for the Viper community, but still the best bang for buck is the 40mm rear caliper upgrade, it changes the braking from 70/30 to more like 60/40 so less front wheel lock up and the car is balanced out better
    I believe JonB was/is working with Tom on one more run of these?
    How much does that upgrade usually run?

Quote Originally Posted by slitherv10 View Post
    How much does that upgrade usually run?

I have one in the classifieds for $800 shipped, but to Canada, a bit more.
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

I'm curious why go with the 40MM upgrade when for not much more you can put the kit on the car that allows for the front brakes to fit on the rear. Wouldn't that provide much better breaking than just a larger piston in the rear caliper? I've been considering picking up another set of front calipers and doing that conversion thus the question.

Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    Some people want bolt on parts and don't want to take a cutoff wheel to their hub.
    Well heck. Didn't realize that was required. Guess that option is off the table for me as well unless I can find some stupid cheap hubs down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 98RedGTS View Post
    Well heck. Didn't realize that was required. Guess that option is off the table for me as well unless I can find some stupid cheap hubs down the road.
    You will also loose the E-brake capability. You can buy an IPSCO kit, but that is another $700ish
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    You will also loose the E-brake capability. You can buy an IPSCO kit, but that is another $700ish
    You forgot.......Stock Gen2 Wheels won't fit over the Gen3 calipers without wheel spacers and extended nuts!...Another couple $$.

I have Gen3 Calipers, Gen3 Rotors, Cutoff Wheel, and I'm itchin' to use it!

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    I had not been around forums in a bit and did not see these comments. I know these are really insanely late but in answering the questions I might help a few that have similar concerns.

I'm curious why go with the 40MM upgrade when for not much more you can put the kit on the car that allows for the front brakes to fit on the rear. Wouldn't that provide much better breaking than just a larger piston in the rear caliper? I've been considering picking up another set of front calipers and doing that conversion thus the question.
    Agreed. The four piston setup will give you better braking all other things aside. However......... White Out makes a good point...

Quote Originally Posted by white out View Post
    Some people want bolt on parts and don't want to take a cutoff wheel to their hub.
    True. On the same note, its not a huge deal to do this and if you do want to maintain originality you could simply get a spare set to cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by MH60M View Post
    You forgot.......Stock Gen2 Wheels won't fit over the Gen3 calipers without wheel spacers and extended nuts!...Another couple $$.

I have Gen3 Calipers, Gen3 Rotors, Cutoff Wheel, and I'm itchin' to use it!
    This is true. I thought I had mentioned that, but the spacers were there for the original Gen 2 Wheels. I have since gone to Forgestar F14's without spacers and they more than clear.

Something that I feel should be mentioned as well. This is an upgrade that, I assume, would be done for folks that drive their cars more than a few miles to a weekend car show. If you are looking for braking performance, I would guess the car is a driver. Having said that, I think more and more folks with Gen 2's are going to aftermarket or newer Gen wheels to get better tire options. Tough to find 335 tires on 18" wheels. At that point, spacers and extended lugs are a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    It's on the writeup. The kit is excellent though and I don't have any complaints about it at all. Bolts right up and uses the stock mechanicals in the car (cable pull setup).
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida

VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    South Florida
    Just as FYI and some update.

The system is still in place and performing perfectly. It has been about 4 years since I did the work and nothing has needed any attention at all. The only thing I have done with the brakes is two fluid flushes over the 4 years. I am really pleased with the setup.

Also, since the 2014 measurements I made with the old tires, I've tried some additional 60-0 tests. I manage stops in 96 to 97 feet without engaging ABS. This setup is awesome.

If you are willing to make the modifications (or have them done) and you would like better braking out of the Gen 2's, this is an awesome option.
    Luis V.
    Miami, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Luisv View Post

Something that I feel should be mentioned as well. This is an upgrade that, I assume, would be done for folks that drive their cars more than a few miles to a weekend car show. If you are looking for braking performance, I would guess the car is a driver. Having said that, I think more and more folks with Gen 2's are going to aftermarket or newer Gen wheels to get better tire options. Tough to find 335 tires on 18" wheels. At that point, spacers and extended lugs are a non-issue.

Awesome writeup and mod! For years (I've had my GTS since 2000) I've fantasized about a Big Brake upgrade (I think back in the day there was one offered by some outfit...) However due to the 335 18" tire availability issue, I've all but finally decided to go back to 17" wheels. Since I just tour with the car and no longer have track interests (well, at least not serious ones) I'm choosing tire availability over braking. And if I back off to 315's in the rear, a set of tires can be had for pocket change.

Enthusiast
    What's the opinion on this kit with ABS? Going with 19 inch wheels F/B, so clearance should not be an issue.

http://www.viperpartsrack.com/viper-...tech-brake-kit
    Last edited by Old Surfer; 08-03-2019 at 12:21 PM.

I installed the Stoptechs on my 97, so no ABS, but the quality and fit were great. Everything is included and the brakes work fantastic. Huge improvement over stock. Also includes everything to use the stock rear caliper as a parking brake. Just make sure you follow their directions to remove the protective coating and their bedding procedure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123