Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

AZ Caravan to NEV-1 Detroit - Planning Discussion

As of 5/6/13 the AZ Region has 24 people going to the NVE-1 Homecoming in July. We have a mix of those driving, flying, shipping their Viper and renting cars in Detroit. So let the route planning discussion, pit stops and one night hotel stands begin! It will be an awesome event that will be fun for all who can attend.

Enthusiast
    Here is my first pass:

Monday, July 14th to Moriarty, New Mexico (513 miles lose 1 hour). Best Western or Comfort Inn for lodging. Arby's or The Buford for dinner.

Tuesday, July 15th to the east side of Oklahoma City (520 miles lose 1 hour). Comfort Inn, Days Inn or Sleep Inn for lodging. IHOP or Cracker Barrel for dinner.

Wednesday, July 16th to Effingham Illinois (585 miles no time change). Country Inns, Lexington Inn or Hampton Inn for lodging. Cracker Barrel, Steak & Shake, Ruby Tuesday or Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner.

Thursday, July 17th to Dayton (260 miles lose 1 hour). Block of rooms set aside at the Drury Hotel. Dinner with other Viper owners location and time TBD.

Again this is my first pass. Todd has a little different route but about the same mileage. The big difference is the travel time the last day. I still would like to get in Dayton mid-afternoon. That way we can meet some of the other owners and hit the sack early after dinner. Leaving Friday at 6:30 am or earlier is going to make for a very long day on Friday (drive, CAAP tour, prefix tour and a walking dinner at the Chrysler Museum). I'm not complaining, I just want to be well rested for the party after driving four days.

If we decide on all or some of this proposal I can provide exact locations and phone numbers.

Mike

Enthusiast
    Leadfoot,
    Input on your thoughts from the other thread: I have traveled route 54 from Tucumcari, NM up through Liberal, KS to Wichita, KS then to KC many times to visit grandchildren. You do not want to take a caravan of 10 vipers that way. It is mainly 2 lane roads through many small towns with speed limits of 35 mph with maximums of 65. The scenery is all flat farming and smelly cattle feed lots. Not much to look at hour after hour. The highways can be clogged with local farm equipment traffic and slow grain hauling tractor trailers. Not many places to pass. Some 3 lane highway segments until you get to Wichita. At Wichita you can pick up the KS turnpike to KC. A longer scenic route is to take I-25 north from Albuquerque, NM to Colorado Springs. However, after Colorado Springs I-70 is all flat farmland to KC. Just some input about those routes. Used to live in Wichita, KS so know the area well.

Enthusiast
    I don't care....all i hear is two old men whining about the youths.

It's all boring flat land between NM/Texas state line and St. Louis anyways. However, i would not want to get trapped on 2 lane roads with farm equipment. I was trying to find something better than a straight blast down I40.

Also, I've heard from other members that they are unable to leave until Tuesday morning.....so I don't know what to do.

Enthusiast
    Nothing says we need one caravan. We may have 2 or 3 different ones from Arizona leaving on different days. Whatever floats your boat. When we went to Charlotte I left a day early while some others left the next day. We were all happy.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadfootRT10 View Post
    I don't care....all i hear is two old men whining about the youths.

It's all boring flat land between NM/Texas state line and St. Louis anyways. However, i would not want to get trapped on 2 lane roads with farm equipment. I was trying to find something better than a straight blast down I40.

Also, I've heard from other members that they are unable to leave until Tuesday morning.....so I don't know what to do.
    I hear you about all the flat land but there aren't many options heading East from Flagstaff. If you get off the interstates then you can probably find some enjoyable roads then you need a lot more time to get there and you need to know where you are going. It all depends how much time you want to spend on the road. Even the interstates in Ill, IN, western Ohio and southern MI are pretty flat. I've driven from Phx to Philly the past couple of years and will be again in a couple of weeks. I know I-40 and I-70 quite well. It all depends how fast or slow you want to get there and back.
    If we have a group going Tues that's ok. I figured we would have more than one group due to work schedules. Are there any details on the Tues group? I want to be able to tell all our members who is going and when so they can make a choice that best fits their schedules. I also want to notify some other Regions when our groups are leaving Phx, Send me a PM so I have an idea how the club will split up and if they are going to Dayton or directly to Auburn Hills.

By the way, us old guys, have decided to get some tats and wear a pony tail so you young panty waists don't feel left out.

Leaving Tuesday am for Amarillo, stopping in St. Louis on Wednesday, don't know if going to Chicago or Dayton with Ohio Club. Will decide when time gets closer. Only thing for sure this old man is living his youth.

Running 10 over most of the time. At times waiting for you young ones to catch up.

Enthusiast
    Welcome maeham! Glad to see you here. Thanks for your travel itinerary. Is any one else driving with you or are you flying solo. I know MA is flying. I think you are missing a "zero" after the "10" over if you are going to make St. L on Wed. If the young ones drove as fast as their jaws flap they might hit the double nickel before their knuckles turn white!

i want to drive and if i do i will run with the old guy maeham!! i think going through the rockies is fun but in know eddie likes to get to Amarillo by morning!

Enthusiast
    [QUOTE=Speedy G;52923]i want to drive and if i do i will run with the old guy maeham!! i think going through the rockies is fun but in know eddie likes to get to Amarillo by morning![/QUOTE
    Eddie will get you there the quickest but run with a "detector".
    I-25 from Albuquerque to Colorado Springs is a beautiful drive through the mountains. However heading east from CO Springs is all flat farmland until inyo MO. Definitely not the fastest route but the prettiest for part of the way.

Enthusiast
    Ok, so the group that is leaving on Tuesday will leave Phoenix at 8AM headed for Amarillo, TX, a total of 700 miles. Wednesday will take us from Amarillo to St.Louis, MO a distance of about 750 miles. Thursday will take us from St. Louis to Chicago, IL with a distance of 300 miles. At speeds in the neighborhood of ** MPH that should put our driving time around 8 to 9 hours, with the last day only requiring 4 hours which should get us into Chicago in time to have a deep dish for lunch. Of course all of that is barring any significant delays. When exactly we leave Chicago is a bit up for debate at the moment as the Illinois club hasn't confirmed if their plan has them leaving Thursday evening or Friday morning....more on that when it's available.

Currently there are 3 of us taking this route with a possible 4th. If we don't have anymore join us, i'm not going to bother making arrangements with hotels or restaurants since there isn't much incentive for a business to make special arrangements for groups less than 5. We'll just fly the seat of our pants and when we see something we like, we'll stop.

If you'd like to join us please feel free to respond here, via the forum or email myself at tkbentley1984@gmail.com.
    Last edited by LeadfootRT10; 05-10-2014 at 02:58 AM.

Enthusiast
    LF, You might want to find out the Ill club plans so that you guys don't miss them. I agree with you that a small group should be able to find hotels without a problem. The challenges occur when you have large groups of people hitting a hotel or restaurant all at once. Sent you a PM.

Enthusiast
    Maeham has a history of getting pulled over on the way to full club viper gatherings. He has a tradition to uphold. He said those Sheriffs were really nice there in Utah, especially considering Kelly was in the front at what I call "Bracelet Speeds." I wish I had been there. I haven't had a good "talking to" from a LEO in a while. Have fun guys. Sorry I can't make this one but I will be thinking about you all!

Enthusiast
    ok, who is planning on leaving on monday? i like the idea of cruising 5-600miles a day-- enjoy the trip more.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by GABOON View Post
    ok, who is planning on leaving on monday? i like the idea of cruising 5-600miles a day-- enjoy the trip more.
    I'll be leaving on Monday. So far two of us. Let me know is you have some interest in going with us. Check post number 2 for details. We will be going to Dayton. Who knows maybe some SoCal members will join us.

Enthusiast
    yep i run with you! guess we could hook up at flagstaff? let me know when to meet, i will go with the plan. if need be you can contact me at gshep@cableone.net. thanks for info... looking forward to adventure!!!

Enthusiast
    You guys are badass. 500 miles per day is rad. Gonna get lots of looks on the freeway and at gas stops. Stock up on matchbox Vipers to give out to kids along the way, or pretty girls. I have given them to both.

Hey by the way, I have a couple of really high quality walkie talkies that I use on fishin trips if you would like to borrow them. Couple mile range, small, easy to use. Might be helpful for communicating between front and back of a crew. Plus if other clubs have them, which I assume they will, you can get on the same frequency for staying in contact.

Just a thought, let me know and I am glad to loan em to ya.

Enthusiast
    Actually we are pretty we're smart. We will get many looks especially at gas stops. Going to Charlotte our average gas stop was 15 minutes because of the lookers. One thing for sure at 500 miles a day we will be well rested for the 3 day NVE. Thanks for the walkie talkie offer but I have Midlands that I plan on using. Are you sure you don't want to come with us?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ITSQK View Post
    Actually we are pretty we're smart. We will get many looks especially at gas stops. Going to Charlotte our average gas stop was 15 minutes because of the lookers. One thing for sure at 500 miles a day we will be well rested for the 3 day NVE. Thanks for the walkie talkie offer but I have Midlands that I plan on using. Are you sure you don't want to come with us?

Want to? Absofrigginlutely. Can I? Not so much.

As you may guess, these last few years have been INCREDIBLY expensive for me. Even with great insurance. I mean I have really amazing insurance. But...my care is at 1.2 million dollars at this point. So unfortunately, a lot of my fun money has been burned up for healthcare. And there is always just something else that keeps popping up. Copays on...meds, therapy, Dr Visits, it adds up so fast. So going on the trip right now is just a little out of reach. I could take money from retirement/investment type funds, but that is fiscally irresponsible. It would take a lot of the fun out of the trip knowing I was mortgaging my future for it. And that is a slippery slope I don't want to start going down. I am sure you all can understand. Don't get me wrong, I am doing ok, just certain things need to take a backseat, I.E. the reason my car doesn't have headers and exhaust yet.

Sorry for the bum-out post. It's just not in the cards right now. I am flattered you guys want me to come along. You guys are awesome and I love hanging out with my Viper crew. I mean, look how hard I worked to get back in one ASAP. You guys rock. Emily and I can't wait to hear all about it.

Enthusiast
    Leadfoot, do you want to borrow the walkies? Anyone here is welcome, just let me know. Communication is important when driving together. I got them so when I take newbies out on real backcountry type trips, I can talk to them about where we are going and how to actually use their 4x4s finally.

Enthusiast
    OFFICIAL ROUTE ANNOUNCEMENT: The group that is leaving on Tuesday morning will have the following route

Day 1
    -Start: Tuesday, July 15th at 6:00 AM Location: JR's Convience Store at the corner of McDowell and Beeline Highway(aka AZ87) It's the only building at the intersection, you can't miss it. They are a Shell fuel station. We will take AZ87 North to Winslow.

-Flying J fuel stop on Transcon Ln in Winslow. This is also exit 255 on the I40. We should hit Winslow/I40 around 8:30. For those coming from Northern AZ or from SoCal this would be the best place to meet us.

-From there it is a straight shot along I40 into Amarillo. There are two ideal possibilities for hotels there. If we have more than 5 cars going, i'll worry about reservations, otherwise not.

Day 2
    -Breakfast at the hotel if possible, depart by 6:30 along I40 to Oklahoma City

-3.5-4 hours to Oklahoma City, where we'll switch to I44 into St. Louis.

-7.5-8 hours to St. Louis, where we'll switch to I70 to Indianapolis. We'll find a hotel on the Illinois side of the Mississippi river that night.

Day 3
    -Breakfast at the hotel if possible, depart the hotel at 8AM.

-Continue along I70 into Indianapolis, approximately 4 hours.

-Potential stop at the Brickyard, we're looking into potentially doing the museum tour there.

-Continue along I70 to I75 to Dayton, approximately 2 hrs time.

-Arrival time in Dayton will depend on the length of the stop at the Brickyard.

-Information on the hotel in Dayton can be found here: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads...highlight=CAAP
    I understand they have a block of rooms reserved for VOA members, I DO NOT know if there are still some available. I will try to make reservations for myself later today and report back.
    UPDATE:I was able to secure a hotel room via the link provided on the forums. I doubt i got the last room(i'm not that lucky)but i wouldn't delay any longer than necessary.

If there are any questions feel free to post here or email tkbentley1984@gmail.com Thanks guys!
    Last edited by LeadfootRT10; 05-22-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vprbite View Post
    Leadfoot, do you want to borrow the walkies? Anyone here is welcome, just let me know. Communication is important when driving together. I got them so when I take newbies out on real backcountry type trips, I can talk to them about where we are going and how to actually use their 4x4s finally.
    Right now I'm traveling in a group of 3, possibly 4 cars. I don't think the walkies will be necessary in such a small group. But i appreciate the offer. If something changes and i need them i'll give you a call.

Enthusiast
    Leadfoot, Thanks for posting your groups itinerary. Great detail. I will be leaving on Monday with one other car (Rich) as we need to get to Indy on Wed to pick up wives at airport. Exact schedule and planned stops have not been determined at this time. I haven't heard what group Goot plans on hooking up with. Have you? Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by LeadfootRT10 View Post
    OFFICIAL ROUTE ANNOUNCEMENT: The group that is leaving on Tuesday morning will have the following route

Day 1
    -Start: Tuesday, July 15th at 6:00 AM Location: JR's Convience Store at the corner of McDowell and Beeline Highway(aka AZ87) It's the only building at the intersection, you can't miss it. They are a Shell fuel station. We will take AZ87 North to Winslow.

-Flying J fuel stop on Transcon Ln in Winslow. This is also exit 255 on the I40. We should hit Winslow/I40 around 8:30. For those coming from Northern AZ or from SoCal this would be the best place to meet us.

-From there it is a straight shot along I40 into Amarillo. There are two ideal possibilities for hotels there. If we have more than 5 cars going, i'll worry about reservations, otherwise not.

Day 2
    -Breakfast at the hotel if possible, depart by 6:30 along I40 to Oklahoma City

-3.5-4 hours to Oklahoma City, where we'll switch to I44 into St. Louis.

-7.5-8 hours to St. Louis, where we'll switch to I70 to Indianapolis. We'll find a hotel on the Illinois side of the Mississippi river that night.

Day 3
    -Breakfast at the hotel if possible, depart the hotel at 8AM.

-Continue along I70 into Indianapolis, approximately 4 hours.

-Potential stop at the Brickyard, we're looking into potentially doing the museum tour there.

-Continue along I70 to I75 to Dayton, approximately 2 hrs time.

-Arrival time in Dayton will depend on the length of the stop at the Brickyard.

-Information on the hotel in Dayton can be found here: http://driveviper.com/forums/threads...highlight=CAAP
    I understand they have a block of rooms reserved for VOA members, I DO NOT know if there are still some available. I will try to make reservations for myself later today and report back.
    UPDATE:I was able to secure a hotel room via the link provided on the forums. I doubt i got the last room(i'm not that lucky)but i wouldn't delay any longer than necessary.

If there are any questions feel free to post here or email tkbentley1984@gmail.com Thanks guys!

Enthusiast
    WhiteSnake, I have not heard from Goot. Goot will likely join whichever group he chooses in Albuquerque as it's a shorter trip for him than going thru Phoenix. I think everybody is accounted for except for him and Vince/Vi....but don't they have a place in Wisconsin or Minnesota and only winter down here in Phoenix? They'll already be in that region of the country if i'm correct. Other than that, everyone is accounted for.

Since we'll all be in Indianapolis on Wednesday maybe we can work the timing out between group A, group B, group C, the wive's flight arrangements and we can possibly hook up in Indy. Either you can join us if we manage to get access to the Brickyard or we can find an alternate meeting location and make the drive into Dayton together. We'll play that by ear for now.

Let the countdown begin....52 days til launch.
    Last edited by LeadfootRT10; 05-24-2014 at 04:05 AM.

Enthusiast
    leadfoot, vince and vi are running with us 500 milers--- we leave monday 7/14; seeing that you are most active here in forum how about setting up a group contact list so all of us can keep in touch--- so we know when you are passing the rest of us! figure you will hook up with us on 7/16; and what about my 4x4 instruction? come on up to my place and we can roll in the jepknez right out my backyard.... are the lessons free?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast