Maurice Liang
    VQ Editor
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California

Official VOA Announcement on SRT Brand Change

Here's VOA's official announcement of the SRT change:

MANAGEMENT CHANGES AT CHRYSLER

Chrysler announced today (May 6th) that the SRT brand will be consolidated under the Dodge brand headed by Dodge President and CEO, Tim Kuniskis. Ralph Gilles, former President and CEO of SRT Brand will continue his responsibility as Senior Vice President of Product Design for all of Chrysler’s vehicles as well as President and CEO of Motorsports. “Given Chrysler’s aggressive product plan expansion over the next few years, Ralph has his hands full with product design,” said Maurice Liang, President of Viper Owners Association, “Being responsible for all of Chrysler design is a huge responsibility.”

Under Ralph’s leadership, the SRT vehicle lineup expanded and Viper was brought back for a fifth generation. “If not for his passion and perseverance, Viper would likely not exist today,” said Liang, author of the book SRT Viper – America’s Supercar Returns. “Ralph has been the spiritual father of the Viper for many years, and I have no doubt he will continue to do so in the future through his role as VP of Product Design. His enthusiasm for SRT is infectious and has helped develop a loyal customer fan base for SRT and Viper. He’s always welcome at VOA events.”

VOA welcomes Tim Kuniskis to the Viper family and looks forward to working with him to build a strong, mutually-beneficial relationship with the manufacturer of our favorite vehicle.

Here is the official press release from Chrysler:

Chrysler Group Announces Leadership Changes
    May 6, 2014 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - In conjunction with the outlined plans for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA), Chrysler Group LLC today announced that the SRT family of vehicles will be consolidated under the Dodge brand. Tim Kuniskis will lead this effort as he continues his role as President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Dodge Brand and head of the Company’s Fleet Operations. Ralph Gilles continues as the Senior Vice President of Product Design and President and CEO of Motorsports. The move is effective immediately.

“I want to thank Ralph for his dedication to the SRT brand,” said Sergio Marchionne, Chairman and CEO, Chrysler Group LLC. “Under Ralph’s leadership, the SRT brand expanded its vehicle lineup to include more highly customized models and received numerous automotive awards and distinctions.”

Enthusiast
    Wow....what a shock! all I can say is good luck to Tim Kuniskis!! Ralph is one tough act to follow.

As for me..without Ralph I wouldn't have my 2013 Stryker Red at all!!

So I wanna thank Ralph for being the best, most passionate, most hands-on CEO ever...and for bringing VIPER back...to all of us!!
    Last edited by vipernut; 05-06-2014 at 03:27 PM.

I want to thank Ralph too, wouldn't have the Gen V without him!

We love our '13 GTS... It's the most amazing Viper yet!

Maurice Liang
    VQ Editor
    VOA Mamba Member
    since 2013
    Northern California

Quote Originally Posted by vipernut View Post
    Wow....what a shock! all I can say is good luck to Tim Kuniskis!! Ralph is one tough act to follow.

As for me..without Ralph I wouldn't have my 2013 Stryker Red at all!!

So I wanna thank Ralph for being the best, most passionate, most hands-on CEO ever...and for bringing VIPER back...to all of us!!
    Agreed. Ralph is the face of SRT with a huge fan following. He's a tough act to follow. I hope Sergio knows what he's doing...

Thank you Ralph! Watching your enthusiasm in the SRT brand with their cars and motorsports lead me to my recent Gen5 purchase.

Enthusiast
    Thank you Ralph for all your blood, sweat, tears, perseverance and effort. You made Chrysler a car company again packed with small cars, big cars, fast cars, and of course, bringing back the Viper.

I never understood why they tried to make it a separate brand. You still needed to go to a dodge dealer to by any SRT car, including the Viper. You still need to have your SRT car serviced at the ratty old dodge dealer. You got no special treatment at the Dodge dealer when you show up in a $50,000 - $150,000 SRT car.

It always was, and still is just a Dodge. And that's what I love about the Viper. I like that fact that a Dodge is faster than any car costing less than a million dollars on almost any track.

With Ralph focusing more on Motorsports, there should be some really exciting times ahead!

~Jay

as long as ralph is happy with it, thats all that matters. but he is definitely one hell of a tough act to follow
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

You have to feel for Ralph. Between the various cluster Fs including the recent identity crisis plus having the once major enthusiasts' club hunting you and dragging you through the mud, he has put up with enough for 10 execs.

Wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by mauricev10 View Post
    Agreed. Ralph is the face of SRT with a huge fan following. He's a tough act to follow. I hope Sergio knows what he's doing...
    I think the very topic being discussed indicates "Sergio" clearly knows what he's doing. It looks like Sergio had some concerns that Ralph might not know what he's doing.

Enthusiast
    That last comment makes zero sense.

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloviper View Post
    Does make some sense.....sometimes you have to throw the good guys under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Coloviper View Post
    Your measurement of Ralph's performance and Sergio's measurement are likely not the same. SRT has certainly been given ample time to develop the market. Ralph is a great guy, and accessible as few other CEO's have ever been. However the results of the SRT effort apparently have not met Sergio's expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Granger73 View Post
    Your measurement of Ralph's performance and Sergio's measurement are likely not the same. SRT has certainly been given ample time to develop the market. Ralph is a great guy, and accessible as few other CEO's have ever been. However the results of the SRT effort apparently have not met Sergio's expectations.
    I've not seen the numbers, but there tons of SRT cars where I live. I'd say SRT is a huge success, and they all get great reviews.

Making it a separate brand didn't make any sense.

I don't know what's better president of a made up brand, or vice president of design. I would think that for a gifted designer who loves racing, he now has a dream job. Let the suits do what they do, let Ralph build beautiful cars and win races.

~Jay

Enthusiast
    The data we have on this change is open to a lot of interpretation. I would try not to speculate too much on all the negatives. After all they are a car company and need to sell cars. I hope either Ralph or the new guy continues to be the face of SRT and works closely with It's dealers and end users of there products.

I am hopeful for the future as long as the govt. does not crush the horsepower races.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    In reality it may not matter if SRT was doing good, poorly, or just ok. If they wanted to consolidate brands it just was going to happen.

We don't really know why SRT was folded into Dodge, it simply was.

Sergio has a goal and thats how he sees getting there.

I've been trying to get my mind around this one. Posted several comments but still no peace of mind. For me, this move has become an emotionally charged event

Item One: I fear for Ralph's future so that makes my thinking about this change an emotionally charged issue.

Item Two. I had originally thought of SRT as the AMG of Chrysler Corp. AMG makes AMG versions of nearly all of the MB line and has a halo car, the SLS.

Item Three. MB dealers sell all the MB line so my analogy breaks down at that point. The MB brand is stronger than any "class" identification within MB.

Item Four. Dodge will no longer have a mini van. Dodge is the performance arm and Chrysler the people mover line. Does that mean we'll be seeing FIAT as the brand ID on the dealership (not Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealers) with FIAT dealers selling Chrysler, Jeep, and FIAT and Dodge a performance car within each line? Will Viper continue as the halo car of the Dodge performance line? Does Dodge get out of the volume car business?

Item Five. Does the plan have a contingency plan? Where is the execution plan? What I see so far is a hope with no substance. I can't see a single rational presented by FIAT why any of the sales figures will be met.

Enthusiast
    I like it. It's always been a dodge. Put the dodge badge on it and I will buy it!

Web Site Committee

I was originally thinking the same. But then I pondered more as to why they would do this. Then it started to fall into place and make sense if you look at it from a business perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor View Post
    Item One: I fear for Ralph's future so that makes my thinking about this change an emotionally charged issue.
    I don't think Ralph is going anywhere. He is still in charge of motorsports and has his design end that he must look after. I don't believe for a minute that he is being kicked out, or voluntarily leaving. Sergio would not make a move on a valuable asset like that, and if you now Ralph, he believes in the brand. He wont just up and leave it. He stuck it out through the hell that was the Cerberus years so that says something about him.

Item Two. I had originally thought of SRT as the AMG of Chrysler Corp. AMG makes AMG versions of nearly all of the MB line and has a halo car, the SLS.
    It will basically be a trim level again. Maybe not as prestigious as its own brand, but a hell of a lot cheaper for marketing it and designing it.

Item Four. Dodge will no longer have a mini van. Dodge is the performance arm and Chrysler the people mover line. Does that mean we'll be seeing FIAT as the brand ID on the dealership (not Chrysler, Dodge or Jeep dealers) with FIAT dealers selling Chrysler, Jeep, and FIAT and Dodge a performance car within each line? Will Viper continue as the halo car of the Dodge performance line? Does Dodge get out of the volume car business?
    Dodge was already working toward the "manly" or performance brand when they eliminated Dodge Rams from the lineup 5-6 years ago. They seem to now be finishing that move. Interestingly enough it was mentioned that the name Caravan wont be going away.... not sure what that means but....Either way it is illogical to sell two identical vehicles minus grill badge out of the same dealership. So logically one had to go and if that doesn't fit the image of muscle (Journey does and even more so with a SRT option), well logically Town and Country wins there.

I also believe that as long as their is a business case there, and the Viper nation buys the cars; Sergio understands a halo product better than anyone so I cant see it being eliminated.

Item Five. Does the plan have a contingency plan? Where is the execution plan? What I see so far is a hope with no substance. I can't see a single rational presented by FIAT why any of the sales figures will be met.

Chrysler side if FCA has had month over month sales increases for something stupid like the last 60 months. As they now have in demand designs, quality product, and vehicles people now want; as long as the current rate of sales maintain I can see where they got there numbers from.

Also, a big thanks to Ralph for his efforts, lack of sleep, and accumulated stress as big cheese of SRT. I dont believe any other person could have pulled off what you had with SRT.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper Pit View Post
    I like it. It's always been a dodge. Put the dodge badge on it and I will buy it!
    And the front grill and headlights/fog lights and I will too.

Thanks for the comments Mopar Boy,

Just for organization sake, I believe Dodge will make a play to take over motorsports. The argument being that motorsports belongs in the performance line of management not styling. I'm also very curious what the Viper that comes out after production restarts will look like in terms of badging. In fact, I'm curious if Viper production will restart! I am concerned that the Gen V's business plan called for an expanded market that the dealers apparently couldn't reach (?). The traditional market couldn't support the Dodge Viper the first time, why should it do so now?

As for Ralph, I need to check his twitter but I really don't see any comments of his that directly apply to the reorg.

Web Site Committee

I understand fully. The old Dodge Motorsports name comes to mind.

Viper will come back. I am sure of that. They also have the new one planned according to the info from last week. So I would say they would run the current one till the changeover. Now if sales dont go well, then I would say maybe at that point they pull the plug. But for not, personal opinion is they will continue.

No, he has been quiet on that. But also who knows what directions he was given on the subject so....