Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada

How do you clean the inner wheel wells?

What is the trick to get all that grime off of the inner wheel wells and get it back to show and shine quality. By inner wheel I mean the part on the inside/under the car end.

Enthusiast
    I've taken the wheels off and used an all purpose cleaner and applied Adam's VRT.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPREY View Post
    I've taken the wheels off and used an all purpose cleaner and applied Adam's VRT.
    An ll purpose cleaner like Armor all ? What is Adams VRT and where can I get it? What is the process using the 2 ?

Enthusiast
    Both products are made by Adam's Polish. http://www.adamspolishes.com/

You could probably just use a good degreaser in place of the all purpose cleaner, but I enjoy the smell,LOL. They also make an undercarriage cleaner that works well. If you do decide to get some, join their facebook page since they have specials pretty often. Some links...
    http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-60-ad...ng-refill.aspx
    http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-512-a...-dressing.aspx
    http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-121-a...e-cleaner.aspx
    Last edited by ICPREY; 11-03-2013 at 10:32 PM.

ive always used spray nine to clean and wipe them down with either tire shine or wd40
    THE IGNORE FEATURE WORKS, TRY IT...

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    ive always used spray nine to clean and wipe them down with either tire shine or wd40
    WD40 here... And the wheel wells under the hood as well...

Enthusiast
    Westchester, New York/North myrtle beach SC
    Agreed wd40 is fantastic in a previous life I raced dirt bikes and we would spray them before races and the dirt would fall off after.

Enthusiast
    WD 40 is also fantastic at removing those tar spots on paintwork

For the wheel arches I wash them down in hot water and washing up liquid, then spray the inner arches with a rattle can of Tire shine and buff them up, seems to work fine

Enthusiast
    2 times a year the wheels come off and everything within the wheel wells gets a good cleaning. Simple green is my cleaner of choice. This includes all the suspension components and shocks. A detail spray on the metal and Tire dressing on the plastic liners. I use Griot's Garage products. In between drives, I just wipe the wheel wells down for maint.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    Wow !! Now this is what I call feedback. Thanks to all of you with all your products and applications. I will be looking at all these applications and see which ones work well for me personally. All your ideas are fabulous. One good winter project on my belt. Now if I can only get another 100 ideas for projects to keep me busy the rest of the winter days

Like Frank's Red Hot... I put this $hit on everything! http://www.meguiars.com/en/professio...astic-coating/

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Newport Viper View Post
    Like Frank's Red Hot... I put this $hit on everything! http://www.meguiars.com/en/professio...astic-coating/
    I'll give that a shot as well

Quote Originally Posted by slitherv10 View Post
    I'll give that a shot as well
    Great for the engine compartment after a good cleaning. Then go directly to car show

Quote Originally Posted by Newport Viper View Post
    That seems much easier than black waxing the wheel wells. I will have to give it a try, but the black wax made it look good.................

After you get everything clean, to keep it clean, I used to use black wax on the wheel wells. Most of the dirt would just fall off with a hose off.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    After you get everything clean, to keep it clean, I used to use black wax on the wheel wells. Most of the dirt would just fall off with a hose off.

Black wax eh? I'll keep that in mind. thanks

Enthusiast
    WD-40 is primarily mineral spirits and mineral oil. I've tried it on my plastic parts, and wasn't overly impressed. I like 3-in-One brand silicone spray for my wheels wells and plastic bits. It dries leaving no film to attract dust, gives a nice stain sheen, water beads up real nice, and dirt doesn't stick to it. Lasts longer than WD-40 too. Most silicone sprays will work, but you want to look for something that says "quick drying" or "leaves no residue" as anything that leaves a wet film will attract dust.

Poorboys Trim Restorer hands down. These are the plastic mud guards on my project car:

Before

20131103_114511_zpsb34f072b.jpg

After

20131103_114442_zpsecc60e18.jpg

Front in progress

d7e69fe7-00fb-434c-896b-be1f788c232b_zps3406e4e1.jpg

Enthusiast
    I've found a good all purpose wheel and tire cleaner good for cleaning and keep them looking new. Spray on and spray off with every wash. Products like armor all make them too shiny.

I do mine once a year. First a good cleaning with Dawn liquid soap, after its dry I use a kind of black restorer. Yes it turns out shiny but that's how I like it. They stay looking new all year round, and nothing sticks to them. Oh yea, don't forget to clean the insides of your wheels while you have them off. IMG_4309.jpgIMG_4304.jpgIMG_4307.jpgIMG_4311.jpg

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquemonster06 View Post
    I do mine once a year. First a good cleaning with Dawn liquid soap, after its dry I use a kind of black restorer. Yes it turns out shiny but that's how I like it. They stay looking new all year round, and nothing sticks to them. Oh yea, don't forget to clean the insides of your wheels while you have them off. IMG_4309.jpgIMG_4304.jpgIMG_4307.jpgIMG_4311.jpg
    What do you use to clean the inside of your wheels. All the grime and brake dust etc....

The insides of my wheels get cleaned with a soft brush every time I wash the car so they don't ever get that dirty.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquemonster06 View Post
    The insides of my wheels get cleaned with a soft brush every time I wash the car so they don't ever get that dirty.
    I do this after every time I drive, just before putting it away.

Enthusiast
    For the insides, I use Mineral Spirits....takes the grime right off.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GTS View Post
    For the insides, I use Mineral Spirits....takes the grime right off.
    Never thought of that one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast