Thread: 97 GTS info

Enthusiast

97 GTS info

A local friend of mine is looking at a 1 owner 15k mile car with original tires 60% left(yes they will be changed) and looks to have no stories. He is stating it still has the factory shipped car cover with openings in the windows that came on the cars during shipping. Are these covers worth any money or are there any stories behind them?

Thanks

Bruce

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    I have watched quite a few Gen 2 cars be loaded at CAAP as well as delivered at dealers.

I have never heard of a 'factory-shipped car cover' for Gen 1-2 except for the 1998 GT-2 {GTS-R replica} edition. And those had nothing special in the window area..... and they were NOT used "during shipping" ...... The 'openings in the windows' comment intrigues!

I am stumped
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 04-19-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Enthusiast
    well you would know. My buddy wants me to inspect it so I will take pics and maybe someone will know what it is.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    Ill wager it is a gray-waffle-weave fitted cover, with a RED Viper GTS logo on the nose. These were sold by dealers as aftermarket accessories and some were placed on the accessories sticker as new equipment, along with floor mats.

Enthusiast
    were the windows cut out?

Bruce

I never saw one! I have seen the covers Jon mentioned and they only had a cutout for the license plate to be seen.

Enthusiast
    What's his asking price? Just curious to see if the markets improving.

Enthusiast
    he is asking $38,500.00 I think it is a bit low.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by BlknBlu View Post

Bruce

Enthusiast
    The True North Strong and Free Ontario, Canada

Bruce
    38,500 for a GTS with only 15K miles? Is it the B/W as well? That is an excellent price. Ebay has a few well over 50K for them.

Enthusiast
    It is a Red one.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    were the windows cut out? Bruce

I am noodling too much on this mystery! I could ASSume a situation where a particular hauler might use a cover with the windows cut out. Reliable Carriers drivers are contractors, who maintain their own trucks. To unload 1-2 of the bottom deck of cars, the truck driver would have to pretzel-contort themselves to climb in and out of a Viper window.

Some of them may have purchased a cover, and then cut out the windows, to PREVENT damaging their freight in the process. Maybe the driver 'sold' such a cover upon delivery? I just cannot figure out this puzzle otherwise!

Note: Back when I was a skinny guy and could ease thru the widow, I even helped load-unload a couple of cars for Reliable drivers who were quite a bit larger than me!
    Last edited by JonB ~ PartsRack; 04-20-2014 at 12:06 PM.

Enthusiast
    Let me get a photo and more details before we think too hard. could just be an aftermarket cover from the time of purchase, although the original owner stated it came that way.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    Saw the car today and no surprises very nice car but needs a good cleaning. Was purchased new ad Woodhouse and the only option are the polished wheels. IT does have a nice Viper logo car cover and bag, but the mystery of the 2nd car cover is becoming more unraveled.

It is a transport cover from Transport Technologies at http://www.confezioniandrea.it/en/index.html

The cover was absolutely made for the viper. The windshield is exposed and the wheels are exposed. IT has a separate smaller cover on the hold that has pockets on the sharp ends of the hood it slides into then fasteners on the front portion of the hood that connect to the portion of the cover that covers the front fascia. There are hard plastic strips sown into where the wheels wells are that just tuck under to protect the wheel well lip. The whole thing is white with several zippers and windows on it. Looks like it is made of a tyvek type material.

any thoughts.

Bruce

Enthusiast
    The car was purchased by a friend of mine who will be joining the club. It is currently in my garage getting a full detail.

Bruce

V1P3R
    And will this friend be joining us at Don and Millies?

Enthusiast
    he has in the past with his older cars.

Bruce

My car could use a full detail also!!

Enthusiast
    Post a few pictures of the cover When you get time. Thanks

Don't you have to have a nice car to go to Don and Millies?
    Last edited by cuda736908; 04-30-2014 at 11:38 PM.