Enthusiast

Fuel gauge issue

Hey guys, this issue just popped up, the fuel gauge is reading wrong. At rest when the car is off it reads half tank. When I start the car it jumps wayyyy past the full mark. Turn the car off and it drops back down to half. Seems like the sender is good because the gauge moves after starting it up, it just lost where it thinks empty is. Anyone run across this issue?

IMG_4477.jpg

Enthusiast
    We had a similar issue in a different vehicle a few years ago so this may not be helpful. On it there were two sensors in the tank to read how full it is and one of them had gone bad. The system was designed to average the two sensors and that’s what would read on the gauge, I think that way you wouldn’t get wildly changing readings during cornering and braking.

Enthusiast
    Can't tell from the picture but is the engine running? If yes, what is the Check Engine Light for? I did have a similar problem on my 2017 Ram 1500. Gauge went erratic. Sometimes it read full, sometimes it read empty. Readings would change driving down the highway. Turned out it was a bad sensor in the tank but on the Ram the sensor is apparently integral to the fuel pump so the dealer had to change the pump. I'm thinking that Dodge would have used a similar design on the Viper.

Enthusiast
    The CEL is from the rear cats due to headers. It goes away when I drive the car in the summer.

Went back out to look at the car this am and now the gauge is fine and reading correctly. Must have been an electronic hiccup. I’ll keep an eye on it and if it shows up again I’ll look further into it.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pony23 View Post
    The CEL is from the rear cats due to headers. It goes away when I drive the car in the summer.

Went back out to look at the car this am and now the gauge is fine and reading correctly. Must have been an electronic hiccup. I’ll keep an eye on it and if it shows up again I’ll look further into it.
    When my Ram acted up with these symptoms it would sometimes act normally and sometimes it wouldn't. No problems since they replaced the pump.

Enthusiast
    I’ll keep that in mind if it starts acting up again. Thanks

Enthusiast
    It seems like the voltage constantly/linearly is too high.