Enthusiast

What did you do to your Viper today

I rotated the TA's tires and checked brake pads and fluids in preparation for our 1st lapping day of the season on April 29th at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, aka Mosport! I think I'm ready for a couple more after that!1502039400_20210520_140359_2481708_resized.jpgDSC_7759.JPG!

Enthusiast
    I'd love to make it up to Mosport. Looks like such a fun track! I have some laps around in via my simulator.

I waved goodbye & winked as I slipped out of the garage on the V-Rod Muscle. Ha.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I am initiating my snake to become alcoholic on 40% ethanol.

Just an oil change on the GEN 4 and then moved them around to make room image005.jpgfor their new stable mate

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    I'd love to make it up to Mosport. Looks like such a fun track! I have some laps around in via my simulator.
    It's a fantastic track and just 45 minutes from home. Fastest track in N.A., 150+ mph straight, blind corners and elevation change like Road Atlanta. I you come reach out to me and try to do a track tour that includes the iconic Watkins Glen and scenic Circuit Mont-Tremblant, Randy Pobst's favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Policy Limits View Post
    I waved goodbye & winked as I slipped out of the garage on the V-Rod Muscle. Ha.
    ACR gets the parking spot of honor...nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Aevus View Post
    I am initiating my snake to become alcoholic on 40% ethanol.
    Better put AA on speed dial!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    Just an oil change on the GEN 4 and then moved them around to make room image005.jpgfor their new stable mate
    991 Turbo S...awesome Viper stable mate, congrats!

Enthusiast
    Just finished up a new subwoofer box build...love me some bump in the trunk.

Nothing big, nothing fancy...just enough to add some much needed low end to my music. The utilitarian box design is based off of one I've made previously for my daily driven truck (and have loved for years); it's made from 3/4" MDF and finished with a product called Duratex.

The sub is a 10" Hertz CS250, which matches pretty well to my aftermarket amplifier (puts out ~350 W on the sub channel). The fully loaded assembly weighs ~25 pounds, but the wiring harness uses a quick disconnect so it can be removed (or reinstalled) in <30 seconds for track outings.

Overall, I'm pleased with the finished product, including the sound output. Its first drive will have to wait for my transmission to be refreshed (currently with John Donato), but I've got some other things to keep me occupied while I wait.

Enthusiast
    Spent the morning with a bottle of Mothers Race Rubber Remover after last weekends first track day
    If you guys decide to go to Watkins Glen for a track day let me know I would like to meet you guys there
    Dennis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMYS9HsPDkY

Enthusiast
    There's several of us doing Watkins Glen with Trackmasters July 17-18th. We'll be tracking some Vipers and a variety of others including probably a couple of Porsche Cup cars. There's an '08 ACR coming and I'll have the TA there. You and others here are welcome to come hang out with us. PM me for details.

https://trackmasters.com/

Just one thing...we're Canadian and we're fast, so so faaast

Enthusiast

Sway Bar End Link Rebuild

Let's keep this thread rolling.

Late last year, I ran into the all-too-common torn sway bar end link boot - just one on the passenger side rear. While I was digging around, I also noticed that the paint was flaking off of both:

I decided to push it off a bit since I knew it would make a good winter time project. As fate would have it, I didn't put too many miles on the car after discovering the torn boot - I broke an OS Giken output stub at the drag strip a few days later, and the car has been sitting ever since.

Naturally, I checked around in the archives and saw that most folks just bought new aftermarket links - they are relatively cheap from sources like Rock Auto, so it makes a lot of sense. Then I stumbled across this interesting tidbit from Dan Cragin (source: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post467373)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cragin View Post
    The aftermarket links are not as good, except for the MOOG front replacements.

Typically your boots are just bad and the links are good.

I've learned this over time, thinking the replacement links were a good option.

The stock sway bar links have a solid ball with no cushion, unlike the aftermarket direct replacement (except Moog fronts).

That's why the stock sway bar links are $150 each, you get what you pay for.

Unless there is play in the link, I just replace the boots.
    Since mine had no play, I decided that a rebuild was the best option for me. It ended up being a hugely labor intensive process since I took it to the extreme:

Sourcing replacement boots took a bit of leg work, and a lot of waiting to get what I wanted (polyurethane instead of rubber). Fatboy 18 was kind enough to post this helpful bit of info (source: https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...l=1#post467387)

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    Link for those of us not across the pond: https://www.ebay.com/itm/221486557923

Be warned that they come on the slow boat from Bulgaria, but they did arrive at my door step after about 3 weeks of waiting.

My paint job had long since dried, and it was time to reassemble:

I finally got them back in the car late last night:

I clearly spent more time and money than if I had just purchased aftermarket links, but there's something satisfying about restoring parts that still have plenty of life left in them.

Enthusiast
    Great post as always Steve !
    I'm getting ready to Pull my Motor and Transmission , I'll have to check mine..............

Enthusiast
    I have been rebuilding Gen 2 fibreglass Radiator core supports, I have a couple I'm working on, these parts are now discontinued and due to the size of them are not a cheap item to ship.
    IMG_20230408_160507.jpg
    20180410_141344.jpg
    20180410_141309.jpg
    IMG-20220727-WA0027.jpg
    IMG-20180427-WA0004.jpg

Spring cleaning.

Enthusiast
    Nice Charger as a Stable mate !
    It's not surprising how many Viper Owners have Mopars in their collection , but I am surprised How Many had Classic Chargers ......

Enthusiast
    Still rebuilding salvageable parts for a Gen 2

Quote Originally Posted by J TNT View Post
    Nice Charger as a Stable mate !
    It's not surprising how many Viper Owners have Mopars in their collection , but I am surprised How Many had Classic Chargers ......
    Thanks J!

Enthusiast
    Here is a pic of Mine from High School . Your lower pic really captures the color well !
    MY CHARGER.jpg

Here is a pic of Mine from High School . Your lower pic really captures the color well !
    MY CHARGER.jpg
    Love the 1970....I used to have Cragars on mine as well.

Enthusiast
    It's not surprising how many Viper Owners have Mopars in their collection ,
    I agree, but for me it's the other way around, how many Mopar guys have a Viper? After all, a Viper is just another Mopar.