Enthusiast

Gen 1 2 Headlight History

Here's a fact I never knew

"The headlights were designed by BMW.

Well, before settling on a final design for the Z1, these headlights were part of an alternative design. BMW commissioned General Electric to tool up for production of these headlights (at GE's expense...!) and then pulled the plug, deciding to go with the Z1 design we are all familiar with.

The Viper engineering team didn't have a big budget, and so given these headlights were there, tooled up for production and ready to go, they used them, saving themselves over a million dollars in the process to be spent elsewhere, and designed the front of the car around those headlights.

Free fact, the headlights have a spirit level in them (the orange looking stick in between the main bulbs), which was intended to be used as part of BMW's manufacturing process to ensure correct installation alignment etc. The Viper team obviously didn't want these as they looked ridiculous, but manufacturing wanted $1.99 per headlight to remove them, so they left them in.

Both facts provided by Roy Sjoberg in a youtube video who was chief engineer."

Enthusiast
    I feel like throwing up now that you told me I have an Ultimate Bullshit Machine part in my car. But thanks for the history lesson.

Enthusiast
    "at GE's expense...!' That is standard industry practice. The upfront start cost for tooling is vendor's responsible but they pass it along on the price per unit to the manufacturer. Remember that the project, each unit, etc is priced out in the contract already.

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Headlights are selling for $8500 each side now.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Headlights are selling for $8500 each side now.
    Yeah, Bloody ridiculous, my lenses are beginning to get star cracking in them, it might polish out but if not Im going to cover them in the yellow film tint like the race cars, might get another 5bhp? per light.

On a more serious note, wonder if GE still have the tooling for the lights or lenses?

Enthusiast
    Are the spider cracks on the inner of the len?

Enthusiast
    if someone could just manufacture the lenses. Good market for it. Most would probably buy a pair or two to keep for future use.

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Is clear poycarbonate 3D printable?

Enthusiast
    Good question, Dave. A quick search revealed:

https://all3dp.com/2/polycarbonate-p...e%20guidelines.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by goggles Pizano View Post
    Are the spider cracks on the inner of the len?
    Yes

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy 18 View Post
    Yeah, Bloody ridiculous, my lenses are beginning to get star cracking in them, it might polish out but if not Im going to cover them in the yellow film tint like the race cars, might get another 5bhp? per light.

On a more serious note, wonder if GE still have the tooling for the lights or lenses?
    THIS is the correct question to ask!! Somebody MUST have the tooling "somewhere"?? Break out those Barn finds detectives.........

Quote Originally Posted by NottaVette View Post
    THIS is the correct question to ask!! Somebody MUST have the tooling "somewhere"?? Break out those Barn finds detectives.........
    I dont get how no one has been able to 3D print a basic version of the backs. It's really not that complicated. The lens might be a bit more work, but it shouldn't be that bad.

At least to get a "budget"/basic version of the headlight to keep cars on the road.

Enthusiast
    I was planning on working on the backs of the headlight using CF. It is in the future though since I have too many things going on now. And it is not for profit either. I should add that this is more of an experiment than reality at this time but it is something I definitely want to attempt.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ADA///M View Post
    I dont get how no one has been able to 3D print a basic version of the backs. It's really not that complicated. The lens might be a bit more work, but it shouldn't be that bad.

At least to get a "budget"/basic version of the headlight to keep cars on the road.
    Who is it, that would invest the money and effort to do that? There have been several people, who say they have the ability to make reproductions, post on various Viper groups. So far, nothing has come of what is called a "not that complcated" of a task.

Quote Originally Posted by AZTVR View Post
    Who is it, that would invest the money and effort to do that? There have been several people, who say they have the ability to make reproductions, post on various Viper groups. So far, nothing has come of what is called a "not that complcated" of a task.
    its not me, because I'm not smart enough. But surely someone could be motivated for a "reasonable" amount of money.

There are places that will create replica lenses from mold of existing for prices that should be "reasonable".

I'll just hope not to crash

Enthusiast
    Maybe we could group fund it as an experiment.