1992 Gen1 oil

Yes, another oil thread. This vehicle is over 30 years old and has 28,000 miles and I’m just wondering is there any new recommendations such as a synthetic blend high mileage or just a synthetic high mileage such as the M1 10w-40. Yes I know factory is 0-40 but does a 30 yr old car need anything else. I’ve used Rotella T6 5w40 in the past. I run M1 15/50 in my G4 ACR.

Quote Originally Posted by nautoncall View Post
    Yes, another oil thread. This vehicle is over 30 years old and has 28,000 miles and I’m just wondering is there any new recommendations such as a synthetic blend high mileage or just a synthetic high mileage such as the M1 10w-40. Yes I know factory is 0-40 but does a 30 yr old car need anything else. I’ve used Rotella T6 5w40 in the past. I run M1 15/50 in my G4 ACR.
    There's no right answer (there's certainly some wrong answers)

the t6 is just as good as any other, and it's a great oil. I run it myself. "high mile" oil is mostly just branding. Just pick the right oil for your car/climate. Matching the design weight is most critical imo. so any good synthetic Xw-40 is the place to start (with X always being as low as possible within reason...theoretically), and then look at additive packages.

No one has "REAL" answers on this, it's mostly just theory and anecdotal evidence (i.e. my mechanic or builder says blah blah). No one is going to prove that one brand of oil caused an engine failure or caused it to last an extra 50k miles. Just read whatever info you can find and make your best guess and change it as needed, and you'll be just fine.

Good advice!! Yea the more I read the more I’m confused. BITOG reading makes my mind spin as I’ve scoured that forum!!

Enthusiast
    My questions concerning your Viper would be:

What oil are you using now?

Why do you feel the need to change?

Do you have a regular driving schedule for the Viper...that is also combined with some form of regular maintenance?

What is your climate?

Did you read carefully the quotations from Dick Winkles that were posted in "the oil thread"?

Link:

https://driveviper.com/forums/thread...ine-oil-thread

As stated, there is no single, magical answer...many opinions, observations, preferences, with little or no statistical backup. That said, Dick is in a great position to recommend in my opinion.
    Last edited by Steve-Indy; 04-19-2023 at 11:56 AM.

Well, I haven't changed the oil since 2019 and I have only driven 300 miles in that time period. I live in the south so temps are never a problem plus I'm certainly not driving a 1992 in cold weather. I'm asking because in 4 year time a lot has changed with oils and all this "high mileage" stuff is out now and even though it's not high mileage, it is 30 years old.

Enthusiast
    Let me be a little more specific: are you using conventional "dinosaur " oil, or synthetic oil at present ? While I have seen oil analyses on synthetic oil at 4 year Oil Change Intervals (OCI) on a friend's Viper that show excellent results including a high base excess number, I would not use that long of an OCI in a 1992 Viper...especially if running nonsynthetic oil.

Well, I haven't changed the oil since 2019 and I have only driven 300 miles in that time period. I live in the south so temps are never a problem plus I'm certainly not driving a 1992 in cold weather. I'm asking because in 4 year time a lot has changed with oils and all this "high mileage" stuff is out now and even though it's not high mileage, it is 30 years old.
    Time isnt really going to change anything in terms of the age of the car.

Time will change your oil regardless of miles. And while the new oils can last well over a year, i would suggest changing it every 12-18 months tops. I wouldn't run it with 4 year old oil.

Other than that, oils havent changed much since 2019. Just change the oil with the same stuff you've been using, and start driving the car.

not driving the car is probably worse than the small difference a brand of oil will make.

Steve I said I was running T6. Used it the last two oil changes. And btw, I don't usually go 4 years between oil changes but this car has been in storage and I'm just getting back out and changing the fluids and driving it. I'll probably just go back with T6 but I was considering the M1 10-40 HM. Obviously I don't track a 92 and I guess I could just use the M1 15/50 and keep it consistent and not have all these partially opened oil containers. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by nautoncall; 04-19-2023 at 01:08 PM.

Steve I said I was running T6. Used it the last two oil changes. And btw, I don't usually go 4 years between oil changes but this car has been in storage and I'm just getting back out and changing the fluids and driving it. I'll probably just go back with T6 but I was considering the M1 10-40 HM.
    the car will run the same with either.

i see no reason to go with M1. it's a downgrade to me, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by ADA///M View Post
    the car will run the same with either.

i see no reason to go with M1. it's a downgrade to me, but that's just my opinion.
    Downgrade to what?

Thanks again everyone. I know I make this more complicated than I should.

Downgrade to what?

Thanks again everyone. I know I make this more complicated than I should.
    M1 HM is a downgrade from Rotella T6.

Enthusiast
    Sorry, when I saw "I have used...", I was not sure that the T6 was what was in it now. Agree T6 is a well known, solid product...not sure I would change anything at this point.

Enthusiast
    I have a 94 and the reccomended oil for your 92 is 10w30 not 0w40. I run amsoil SS synthetic and the car runs fantastic with amsoil, i noticed especially on the lifter and valve noise is noticeably quieter running synthetic. I run the standard viper oil filter as long as i can find them. I change oil once a year usually every spring. I run about 1500 to 2500 miles a year on my viper. Treat it with good oil, get amsoil ss seriously dont even waste your time trying to save a buck, i also run the amsoil upper cylinder lube in every tank of gas, it really makes a difference keeping everything clean inside your fuel system, this old girl gets over 20mpg highway. Last trip to OKC and back i got 25mpg.