Just Picked Up a 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S

I had my heart set on a new C8 ZO 6 but seeing that dealerships are tacking on any where from 50k to 100k above MSRP and that is if you can even find one. I just won't pay 1/4 mil. for a Vette. That's not to say these Porsche's are not over priced.lol

I have only had it three days and put 500 miles on it so far. I'm pretty impressed with it. One mite think it even a little boring coming from a Viper as it is so easy to drive. All wheel drive/steering makes this thing a rocket. No drama just gone. This thing is so planted one would have to really work to get to it's limits.

One mite think it even a little boring coming from a Viper as it is so easy to drive.
    Yeah, I had 5 Porsches before landing in the Viper world and they are basically polar opposites

Congrats! really a nice car

Enthusiast
    Pics? Local dealer has a 2018 Turbo S, I believe. Sharp cars.

Congrats and enjoy.

Enthusiast
    Congrats on your New to You Ride !
    Look forward to hearing your long term thoughts on it .
    Enjoy !

So it's been a couple of weeks and I believe i have about a 1000 miles on the thing. I really don't think I could add anything that hasn't already been said about these cars. They really do just about everything very well.
    This is what I bought this thing for as a fun daily that could be happy with a little rain and snow. If there is a down side I would have to say first. They are way over priced and to be honest the Turbo S is pretty bland and uninspiring to drive.

This whole journey for me really started after driving a GT 3 on the track. Now that car was a lot of fun and very engaging to drive on the track. My thinking was I am getting too old for driving such a track focused car like the GT 3 as a daily.
    So I went with the Turbo S.

Just a few days ago after only driving the porsche for a week solid. I hopped into my GEN 4 and went down to a local Deli to get a smoothie. I had parked the Viper on the street facing away from the place. Wile I was waiting for my beverage I had the perfect three quarter view of my car.
    One of the best view of these cars in my opinion. Wile I was looking I could feel the butterflies starting in my stomach and I thought to myself that thing just looks so bad ass and I get to drive it home. You ether know what I am talking about or you don't. it''s that simple.

I have stared at the Porsche from every angle and it just doesn't stir any of the same emotions that the Viper can and seems to do every time I look at one.

You just really can't compare Snakes to Angry Bull Frogs.lolIMG_0204.jpg

Enthusiast
    It is hard for me to look at any car with the same passion as the Viper, though I do think many others are quite attractive. I find the Porsche much better looking than the latest Corvettes as the rounded curves on the car are more reminiscent of the female flowing lines of the Viper than the wedge of cheese shapes of the Corvettes. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, but I do find Porsches quite beautiful in their unique design, and yet that is the draw of the Viper as it too has a special look that helps one know it is a V10 Snake!

Great looking machine and nice little addition to a very handsome group in your garage.
    Last edited by Bill Pemberton; 05-03-2023 at 03:42 PM.

Enthusiast
    I've always liked 911 turbos ( congrats on the car, beautiful btw), and when the viper came out it was almost a even deal for me between a 911 turbo or a viper, well FF I've owned 7 vipers so far ( currently my gen5 Calvo h/c and a 2003 SRT-10) in November I went to trade the gen5 and my ram rebel for a 2018 911 turbo, I went looked at it and took it for a drive, and Just like you said , It does everything well , its fast, capable and a perfect DD IMO, BUT.. it's like a really fast camry, outside its kinda bland and it doesn't have the Viper's "spirit".. ended up trading the Rebel for a TRX and keeping the vipers. If I have the chance one day to add one without selling the vipers I'll probably get me one though.

Enthusiast
    Beautiful car! Congratulations!

I have to agree with you Bill on all points. How is retirement treating you by the way?
    As you can see my garage is all full at the moment. But I do have plans to soon move out of this State.
    IMG_0206.jpg

Enthusiast
    I've found the look of my Turbo S has really grown on me, and maybe it will for you as well. If we weren't so used to seeing the 911's shape over many decades we'd likely think it was one of the most beautiful and classic shapes ever...which it probably is.

When driving it along normally you tend to forget what you're driving until you dip into the throttle...and the brutal acceleration can be quite startling. I had my wife drive it with me so I could have her try full acceleration so she'd know what to expect when driving it herself, found a safe spot and told her to nail it...holy shit, she startled both of us! And that never gets old. Think the Viper is fast? Buckle up!

And if you want to experience some real driving excitement in it... go murder a road course with it!

Enjoy the ride. I think it'll grow on you, especially if you're able to tap into it's incredible performance!

I would have to agree with you Bruce it is a beautiful looking car in it's own right. You are spot on about the brutal acceleration. You just can't beat all wheel drive.
    I am looking froward to a track day or two although I am not sure how far I will hang it out once I get there.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMadMachinist View Post
    I would have to agree with you Bruce it is a beautiful looking car in it's own right. You are spot on about the brutal acceleration. You just can't beat all wheel drive.
    I am looking froward to a track day or two although I am not sure how far I will hang it out once I get there.
    You have to hang it alllllll the way out there! haha Just once.

Enthusiast
    Be sure to put it into Sport Plus mode as the sound, feel and excitement get a lot more intense! You'll be impressed with the braking...they're the best in the business. The general manager of the very successful Pfaff Motorsports team says the Turbo S is his top pick for a track car that can also be enjoyed on the street, not the GT3! His father is one of our club members. It's just really, really good when you want its performance to be, and calm and stealth when you're chillin.