Angry 2000 Viper GTS ACR on BAT BUYER BEWARE

VIN: 1B3ER69E5YV604205

Auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ge-viper-gts-4

Long time lurker of the forum for information but created an account in an attempt to locate the new owner of this ACR. This car was seriously misrepresented in this auction though I don't believe on purpose by the seller. Based on his comments I feel he may be as much of a victim of not knowing what he bought. I attempted to make a deal on this car back in 2019 given its rough condition as I wanted to save it, but the dealer was trying to flip it to someone unsuspecting and wouldn't come down enough on their price to justify the condition and history of the car. It sat outside on their lot for years through sun, rain, and snow.

This ACR suffered from a fire in the right catalytic convertor with damage over $11,000 but because the claim was paid for by the owner it never showed up in the vehicle history nor on the CARFAX. I have the documentation of the claim from the dealer that sold the car to the latest seller in Quebec. The owner of Willowbrook Chrysler, Doug Seal, took the car into his private collection when it wouldn't sell and it looks like a hack job was done to revert it back to stock so it could be sold. This explains the missing and mismatched parts that were highlighted in the auction. The car was raced and quite modified, and it was beat on. It was in such bad shape when I was looking at it I didn't even want to drive it, it was totally unsafe to do so. The new owner has no idea what he's really bought. I attempted to contact both the buyer and seller on BAT but could not send private messages, I also posted about this in the comments and they were removed by BAT. I sent BAT an email detailing the situation with documentation and photos and thus far they have not responded. As a fellow enthusiast seeing people get ripped off like this pisses me off so I'm trying to get the word out so that I can pass all this information on to the latest owner, it'll answer a lot of questions about the car. Attached are a few photos from back in 2019 when I attempted to rescue it.

I'm attaching the PDF file I was sent by a salesman from Willowbrook at the time. It shows the CARFAX to that point in addition to all the dealer service records and the documentation for the fire claim. There's also the hand written additional information. They had no build sheet for the engine, no idea what the tuning was, nothing. Running 7.5lbs of boost on potentially non-forged internals was concerning to me.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JD¹³; 04-05-2023 at 01:55 PM.

Enthusiast
    By the five+ owner history, issues, and photos disclosed in the auction details, I would venture to say the new owner knew they weren't buying a perfect car when they bid on it and won the auction. The car looks like it's in decent enough condition....looks like it would be a good driver or could be made to be without a lot of work.

I think you're trying to do a good thing but IMO, hunting the new owner down and telling him all that, you're likely just going to make him feel like shit unnecessarily.

Enthusiast
    Interesting!!! Its crazy nowadays to buy a Viper that doesn't have good records and documentation. There a B/W on FB right now that shows 17k milers and probably had 117K

So many get misrepresented!!! Well we know all know why it didn't have "smooth tubes." Hope the supercharger usage didn't hammer the motor!

I wonder why they removed the Paxton - I know going back to stock (or pretending you never left stock, heh) can increase the appeal of some vehicles, but given its history (crash, fire, etc.) why bother?

Enthusiast
    I don't personally know this car, and based upon the pics and what was on BAT, I agree the car is/was not in great shape.
    The reality though, is that a cat fire resulting in $11k in damages may not be as big of a deal as it sounds.
    The aluminum side sill (rocker) on these cars carries an enormous price tag from Dodge if replaced new. That alone is 70% of the cost of the repair.

In any case, it does look like a well used vehicle, but nothing that couldn't make a good driver.
    Willowbrook Dodge generally has a pretty good reputation in the Viper community.

My guess with removing all the performance parts from the Paxton to the Gen 4 brake kit is that they thought the car wasn't selling because of the modifications. It wasn't selling because they were sleazy flippers trying to hide its history with the fire and the racing, and they did nothing in regards to regular maintenance. I mean I had to point out to the moronic Sales Manager that it had a line lock in it after he tried to tell me it had a clean history and had been "fully serviced" by the dealer. The car was hard starting, had a rats nest of wiring in the trunk from who knows what being installed and removed (nitrous or stereo maybe?), it reeked like coolant inside and out while idling, heater and AC didn't work, serious coolant leak under the left front, the belts on the SC were worn, the tires were 14 years old and one had sealant goo around the bead, and more. I definitely suggest the new owner change all the fluids especially the trans and diff to ensure they aren't burnt. I see based on the mileage the car has barely been driven since I saw it, so at this point those fluids probably haven't been changed in close to a decade. Looks like some critical work has been done which is good.

My purpose for this post is so that the new owner can understand its history going forward. If he knows what its been through he can do some preventative maintenance and perhaps all this info will help him with troubleshooting any problems he may encounter. It also explains the mismatched wheel, smooth tubes, missing airbag, paintwork, pitted wheels, etc. Certainly not trying to make someone feel bad. It's still a 1/72 Gen II ACR that will turn heads everywhere it goes and I hope he gets a lot of enjoyment out of it without major issues. I still wish I could have saved it back then.

Enthusiast
    You're kinda coming across as someone who is just mad they couldn't get it bought years ago and are now trying to tear the car apart.

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    You're kinda coming across as someone who is just mad they couldn't get it bought years ago and are now trying to tear the car apart.
    Not at all, I found a nice red 99 GTS later that fall Just wanted to help this guy out with all this cars history.

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Well, this who-done-it is quickly becoming the most exciting thing going in the Gen 1/2 forum. Aside from Dean fixing his rollover valve.

Dean? Any updates? Your parts are supposed to be in tomorrow right?

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Well, this who-done-it is quickly becoming the most exciting thing going in the Gen 1/2 forum. Aside from Dean fixing his rollover valve.

Dean? Any updates? Your parts are supposed to be in tomorrow right?
    LOL

Enthusiast
    Waiting on The Call, man. Just waiting...

Enthusiast
    This thread kinda reminds me of telling the groom at the wedding reception that his wife was a hooker before he met her....

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Quote Originally Posted by ellowviper View Post
    This thread kinda reminds me of telling the groom at the wedding reception that his wife was a hooker before he met her....
    ^^^^ definitely on topic

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ellowviper View Post
    LOLOLOL