Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Remember When

Remember when Gerry Wood bought up all of the remaining Viper allocation back at the end of 2016 / early 2017 only to turn around and sell every single one at MSRP? I believe a couple were even discounted if I recall correctly. Looking back, they could have absolutely gouged customers, but chose not to. The were the only game in town if you wanted an ACR for MSRP as we entered 2017. What a stand up move. Just re tipping my hat to them. I have been on the hunt for and trying to buy a Demon 170, and it is insane the markups I am seeing. Makes the markup I paid for my 2022 CFTP Heritage Shelby GT500 look like peanuts. I just received a call from a dealer asking me when I could drop by to give them my deposit on the car with a "market adjustment" of $150K. Wow!!!! Now that's a markup!

Wonder if Gerry Wood is still doing MSRP deals like they did on the Vipers.....

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ACRSNK View Post
    Remember when Gerry Wood bought up all of the remaining Viper allocation back at the end of 2016 / early 2017 only to turn around and sell every single one at MSRP? I believe a couple were even discounted if I recall correctly. Looking back, they could have absolutely gouged customers, but chose not to. The were the only game in town if you wanted an ACR for MSRP as we entered 2017. What a stand up move. Just re tipping my hat to them. I have been on the hunt for and trying to buy a Demon 170, and it is insane the markups I am seeing. Makes the markup I paid for my 2022 CFTP Heritage Shelby GT500 look like peanuts. I just received a call from a dealer asking me when I could drop by to give them my deposit on the car with a "market adjustment" of $150K. Wow!!!! Now that's a markup!

Wonder if Gerry Wood is still doing MSRP deals like they did on the Vipers.....
    Gerry Wood went out on a big limb. The previous Gen V run of Vipers ended with discount coupons of $15k or so. The bought them back of cost and sold them mostly at MSRP. They made some good coin.

There isn't a Dodge store in the country that would sell them back of cost to anyone today (maybe an outlier or two, but not the general base)...and if they did, I don't think Gerry Wood would still be doing MSRP.

Just my thoughts.

I was just being nostalgic. I know there likely isn't a dealer in the country that would do that now. Just giving props to Gerry Wood as that was a pretty cool thing to do since they literally controlled the Viper market at that time and while Dodge gave out coupons for the people that bought the initial overpriced Vipers, I assure you they were not doing so at the time when Gerry Wood bought the remaining units. Everyone and their cousin wanted a Viper once that was announced. They could have easily charged over sticker if they wanted to.

Enthusiast
    I was just being nostalgic. I know there likely isn't a dealer in the country that would do that now. Just giving props to Gerry Wood as that was a pretty cool thing to do since they literally controlled the Viper market at that time and while Dodge gave out coupons for the people that bought the initial overpriced Vipers, I assure you they were not doing so at the time when Gerry Wood bought the remaining units. Everyone and their cousin wanted a Viper once that was announced. They could have easily charged over sticker if they wanted to.

I guess what I was pointing out was at the time, the market on them was ULTRA questionable. So they were either going to make some money or lose their ass.

In theory they could have fixed the market....but they had them floor-planned at 5-7%, so they could only maintain them for so long anyways.

Props to them for doing it, without them there would be a couple hundred less Vipers in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 13COBRA View Post
    I guess what I was pointing out was at the time, the market on them was ULTRA questionable. So they were either going to make some money or lose their ass.

In theory they could have fixed the market....but they had them floor-planned at 5-7%, so they could only maintain them for so long anyways.

Props to them for doing it, without them there would be a couple hundred less Vipers in the world.
    Pretty sure he paid cash for the cars. You are right though in that it was a gamble, but it paid off very well.

Enthusiast
    Pretty sure he paid cash for the cars. You are right though in that it was a gamble, but it paid off very well.
    I heard a slightly different story from another Dodge store...but who knows.

In the end, I'm glad they did it!

Enthusiast
    Up The River..[Columbia River Gorge near Portland OR]
    Fond memories of Brad Wood at GWD.....they bought about 30+ sets of Team-Tech color-keyed harnesses from me, including the red-drivers-stripe harness we "invented" for GWD.

Enthusiast
    And I remember many people dissing Brad and GW for doing that. But for anyone that got to know Brad, you realized he was a good guy and one of us. Glad it worked out for them. Those delivery announcements were some of the best times around here!

It was definitely a cool time in Viper history and very cool to follow the deliveries both here and on YouTube.. Doubt we will be part of anything like that ever again. It was also crazy cool to go to the Viper Assembly plant for the final send off. Wonder where the trunk that we all signed went.

The good ol’days.

And disappeared off the face of the earth (forum) as quickly as they arrived. Woodhouse and Viper Exchange would give you MSRP as well but they both had limited stock except for VE buying those 50 or so GTS-R's up. They took a lot of criticism for that but did well on those. I bought mine from Bernie at a great price in one email exchange but it was my fourth new Viper purchase from him so we had a good relationship. RIP.

Looking back at it people were pissed that VE was charging a $10K ADM on the GTS-R’s. That pales in comparison to what dealers are charging on anything perceived as “special” now. And be dealer I spoke to about a Demon 170 wanted $250K over sticker…..

Looking back at it people were pissed that VE was charging a $10K ADM on the GTS-R’s. That pales in comparison to what dealers are charging on anything perceived as “special” now. And be dealer I spoke to about a Demon 170 wanted $250K over sticker…..
    Actually they weren't at first as they didn't really have a feel for how long they would sit and that was a load of inventory. I would have never bought one certainly with any ADM on it. But towards the end they did when people realized that this was their last chance to get the best SE Viper ever made in the most iconic historical color.

That was to stir the pot by the way........

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperJon View Post
    Actually they weren't at first as they didn't really have a feel for how long they would sit and that was a load of inventory. I would have never bought one certainly with any ADM on it. But towards the end they did when people realized that this was their last chance to get the best SE Viper ever made in the most iconic historical color.

Manheim GTSR 121422.jpg

And the recent Mecum Kissimmee VooDoo II that sold at $400k+:

Mecum VoodooII.jpg
    Last edited by Scott_in_fl; 03-28-2023 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_in_fl View Post
    Manheim GTSR 121422.jpg

And the recent Mecum Kissimmee VooDoo II that sold at $400k+:

Mecum VoodooII.jpg
    Did you miss the more recent private sale near Half Million?

My rule with ADM's is simple: That is the sole reason not to buy the car and a clear indication I don't need/want it anymore. Never have and never will pay any ADM. You're just pissing money away at that point. Too bad I wasn't in the Viper market until 2019. Gerry Wood is only an hour from me. Nonetheless, Bernie gave me a deal on mine that I could not pass up and now my car has appreciated quite a bit even with the mileage I have put on it. Its nice to get lucky every now and then...

Enthusiast
    Not to rain on the parade, but I didn't have a great experience reaching out to Gerry Wood Dodge on an ACR. They took forever to get back to me and then they didn't want anything to do with a trade on my Competition Blue TA 2.0. I ended up buying an ACR/TA from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. He took my TA in trade and had it sold before it even arrived at Woodhouse.

Paid sticker minus 15k with Gastman at Roanoke. Suspect those days are gone. I paid a bit over on my C8 but got it first three years ago.

Ultimately there is the cost of things & then there is the value of them. Value transcends price every time.

Not stirring the pot at all. I agree with you 100%

- - - Updated - - -

Not stirring the pot at all. I agree with you 100%

Enthusiast
    As the Plant Manager during that time I can say that the GW orders were a very welcome addition to the build schedule. They were great to deal with. Until the community fully realized that production was going to end resulting in many last year orders, especially for the ACR's and special additions, building those cars were a lot of fun.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by quickster2 View Post
    As the Plant Manager during that time I can say that the GW orders were a very welcome addition to the build schedule. They were great to deal with. Until the community fully realized that production was going to end resulting in many last year orders, especially for the ACR's and special additions, building those cars were a lot of fun.

I bet that was some fun times.

Do you have some behind the scene photos you could share?

Enthusiast
    None to share unfortunately. There was a policy not to share pictures of Customer's cars without their permission.

So cool! Can’t imagine what it was like to be working on Vipers all day everyday. Going to the Connor Ave Assembly Plant for the Viper farewell was something I will never forget and am so happy to have been a part of. Can’t imagine the pride you must feel having been in your position. Unfortunately nothing like that will ever be done again.

Enthusiast
    If not for Gerry Wood I wouldn’t still be a viper owner. My Gen2 burnt up in the 2017 Atlas fire. However I own this plain Jane ACR. Actually rarer than most of the dealer special editions. https://youtu.be/bTMI8NtzEXc
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gen2man View Post
    If not for Gerry Wood I wouldn’t still be a viper owner. My Gen2 burnt up in the 2017 Atlas fire. However I own this plain Jane ACR. Actually rarer than most of the dealer special editions. https://youtu.be/bTMI8NtzEXc
    Are those Brass Monkey wheels? That car looks so sinister in all black. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGeorge View Post
    Not to rain on the parade, but I didn't have a great experience reaching out to Gerry Wood Dodge on an ACR. They took forever to get back to me and then they didn't want anything to do with a trade on my Competition Blue TA 2.0. I ended up buying an ACR/TA from Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse. He took my TA in trade and had it sold before it even arrived at Woodhouse.

I've bought from Bill in the past also.. He was great to work with.. and is a great fella!

Thanks - I was lucky to tour the plant in 2016ish and meet and talk with many of the craftsmen.. something ill never forget.. I've loved every GEn V Viper i've driven (actually every Viper Ive driven) and am appreciative of all your efforts!! Thank You!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast