Enthusiast

Rear Wheel Bearing 2001 GTS Source for Timken

While putting on my new tires yesterday, I discovered a huge amount of play in my RR wheel bearing. I just replaced it 6,000 miles ago with an inexpensive, parts store variety part (It was a Sunday and I wanted to drive).
    I'm assuming a Timken is the way to go. What are you guys using for a parts source for this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by capevettes; 02-14-2023 at 05:46 AM.

Enthusiast
    I got mine from RockAuto, but they are currently out of stock.

TIMKEN 513109

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    I got mine from RockAuto, but they are currently out of stock.

TIMKEN 513109
    Yea, I had just gone into their site and saw that they were out of them.

I have some new and used. Messaged
    09 ACR With all the goodies
    99 ACR TT 99 red RT/10 Roe S/C
    97 B/W RT/10 TT 94 RT/10 TT

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    ^^^^ F'n parts ho!

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 99RT10 View Post
    Thanks. Just saw your post this morning. I already ordered one from PartsHawk yesterday. It's on the way. Oh well.

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Quote Originally Posted by capevettes View Post
    Thanks. Just saw your post this morning. I already ordered one from PartsHawk yesterday. It's on the way. Oh well.
    I looked at the PartsHawk inventory. Those appear to all be off brand bargain parts that include the Timken p/n in theirs. From your original post whereas the bargain part lasted 6K miles, it sounds like you're going down that path again? At least the rear hub is reasonably easy to change.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    I looked at the PartsHawk inventory. Those appear to all be off brand bargain parts that include the Timken p/n in theirs. From your original post whereas the bargain part lasted 6K miles, it sounds like you're going down that path again? At least the rear hub is reasonably easy to change.
    Well I hope you're wrong Dave. The item I ordered is described as a "Timken 513109 wheel bearing hub assembly". It better be a Timken or it's been misrepresented.
    It was $210. Should be here tomorrow. I won't be a happy camper if it's not a Timken. I had tried to call them to confirm before I ordered but you can't get anybody on the phone. They only take e-mails and will respond within 24 hours.

Enthusiast
    Here is what I ordered from their site.
    20230217_114054.jpg20230217_114054.jpg

Enthusiast
    Ah. When I entered make and model i.e. 2001 Viper, and then wheel bearing, there were 2 choices, neither of which were Timken. You must have gotten to that part by some other search method. Your order does look legit for being Timken tho.

Enthusiast
    Maybe I got the last Timken. Should last longer than my last one!!
    Between the Toyos and the wheel bearing I'm doing both every year LOL!
    Maybe I should turn it into a garage queenie, but driving is alot more fun.

Enthusiast
    Hard for me to believe how often people go through wheel bearings. As hard as I drive mine, I've only done one set in 40k miles.

I found my wheel bearings shot after a handful of track days - my mechanic Ted said that it's pretty regular once you start tracking these cars mostly due to heat, I guess. Dean, what's your secret! These bearings are getting tricky to come by

Enthusiast
    Maybe they're worn out and I just don't know it. They don't growl, or click, or move when I check ball joint play. I wear out tires, brakes, tie rods, transmissions and differentials, but not wheel bearings.

Heat is mostly from brakes. I brake deeper and harder than almost anyone I know. If you brake early and long, they just heat soak everything around them. Use them hard and let them cool as long as possible with some effective airflow. I still run 13" stockish rotors and OE calipers (40mm rears).
    Last edited by GTS Dean; 02-17-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Tech Team

The production bearings should be available and are the best.

We had numerous issues with the production bearings on our race cars back in the day. Dodge made several changes to the production bearing, including a special grease (not used in replacement bearings).
    We also changed the torque spec on the bearings (250 on the street cars) and no longer had issues.

For track cars we change the wheel bearings every 4000 track miles and check the torque after few events.

Enthusiast
    I have only had one front wheel bearing go in over 110,000miles! That includes track time, what the hell are you guys doing to make them fail?

Enthusiast
    Crappy roads in other states most likely. :lol:

Enthusiast
    The $787 MSRP of the factory bearing a sticker shock moment. It's also the same part number for an early 90's Dodge Dakota front bearing. Imagine a guy with a 92 Dakota, needing a bearing, going to his local dealer, and being told it's $787!! Might be time to scrap the truck.

https://www.moparpartsplus.com/p/dod...6/4848716.html
    Last edited by Old School; 02-18-2023 at 09:00 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cragin View Post
    The production bearings should be available and are the best.

We had numerous issues with the production bearings on our race cars back in the day. Dodge made several changes to the production bearing, including a special grease (not used in replacement bearings).
    We also changed the torque spec on the bearings (250 on the street cars) and no longer had issues.

For track cars we change the wheel bearings every 4000 track miles and check the torque after few events.
    Dan, What do you recommend I torque this Timken rear wheel bearing too? I know the FSM recommends 190. Primarily street driven. Should I go 250?

Tech Team

Yes I would suggest 250. The Timken bearing is a good alternate, but I have always used factory on the race cars. They do differ.

Enthusiast
    Yes I would suggest 250. The Timken bearing is a good alternate, but I have always used factory on the race cars. They do differ.
    Thanks Dan. Timken arrived yesterday. Installing today.

Enthusiast
    What is the reasoning behind this?

Enthusiast
    Timken RR Wheel bearing in. Torqued to 250. New Continental Extreme 02's.
    Out driving the beaches of Cape Cod. All is right with the world.
    Thanks to Jon B for the tires and advice on upsizing the fronts to 295's.
    Car felt great.
    Thanks to Dan for the advice on the proper torque. We are fortunate to have knowledgeable guys on this Forum willing to share their wisdom.
    20230219_125314.jpg
    20230219_125050.jpg

Enthusiast
    Happy to hear that, Paul. Just finished speaking to a gentleman with a twin to your car. You may not recall our conversation from years ago when I related that I was on a tour of CAAP in January of 2001 while the stunning sapphire Vipers were coming off the line. What a sight !! You picked very well, my friend.

Best regards,

Steve

Enthusiast
    Hi Steve. Yes, I certainly do recall that conversation. I am very happy with my Sapphire GTS. What a sight to see for you.
    Funny, when I took these pics at the beach today, a gentleman asked me what kind of a car it was. He had never seen one. Then he asked me what the color was called. He liked the car and the color.
    Always fun to be out driving, even in the winter. 46 degrees a
    nd NO TOURIST TRAFFIC.
    You were right. The tires are great.
    Last edited by capevettes; 02-19-2023 at 03:45 PM.