Gen 2 Viper low rpm misfire after Gen 3 plug install w Quality Wires

Hey, a couple of questions: 1) When upgrading to the RC12ECC Gen 3 spec. plug in in stock Gen 2 motor, what gap is preferred? 2) Has anyone gotten a 3000-3500 rpm "light pop" low load misfire after the change? I took the car out and did some monitor reset type driving, and it got way better, but still has a light miss at light throttle. On hard acceleration, there is no discernible fade, hesitation, or miss. Old plugs looked very healthy besides wide gaps due to normal wear. There were none of these behaviors before the change. It was running great, but due for a freshen up. Ideas?

Enthusiast
    Are you setting a misfire code ?

What plugs and gap were you running before ?

Did you keep gap at 0.050 on the new plugs...and, did you measure all of them to confirm gap before installation?

Are you sure that all wires are solidly connected...and correct ? Did you happen to check resistance on new wires prior to installation ?

Any arcing visible with engine on in the dark garage ? (Don't "Asp-fixiate" yourself by closing the door !!).

The "big boys" in the tech end can offer better opinions based on a larger sample, but I have not heard of the misfire issue you describe being due to the plug "upgrade" alone unless plug is damaged/defective.

Enthusiast
    I would bet a plug isn't gapped properly.

I did not check the resistance of the new wires. I set the plugs to .035. (oem spec. for 1998) I did confirm all the wires are secure and in the proper order. All wires are holding their voltage. The only change is the Gen 3 plug set. I am going to pull the plugs again and inspect for a defective one, and I will check the resistance. (top of the line "Quality Wires") I took for granted their high build quality, but....This is a weird one for sure. I made sure there was no debris in the holes using compressed air before removal. Ten plugs, maybe there is a rat among
    'em.

Enthusiast
    AB makes nice wires. Coil-plug wiring diagrams on some Gen 2s are incorrect in the manuals. Best to be sure you have them on correct poles.

This is how the terminals are laid out:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Enthusiast
    Driving around with contaminated fluids braking at 95% while squirting WD40 in people's locks
    Get rid of the crap quality wires and get the Mopar wires i.e. Standard Motor Products.

Run the G3 plug at the same gap as the factory G2 plug. Been doing that for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by GTS Dean View Post
    AB makes nice wires. Coil-plug wiring diagrams on some Gen 2s are incorrect in the manuals. Best to be sure you have them on correct poles.

This is how the terminals are laid out:
    I noticed that the shop manual had it all wack. For a moment I thought I had crossed a cylinder or two, but I took a mirror to the coils and confirmed the firing order. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post
    Get rid of the crap quality wires and get the Mopar wires i.e. Standard Motor Products.

Run the G3 plug at the same gap as the factory G2 plug. Been doing that for over a decade.
    Yeah I had the Mopars, but I got cute with the high zoot Quality AB's and well.....you know.....

Well, after removing all of the plugs, rechecking the gaps, all was well, until I noticed a hairline crack right at the plug body, on the #5 plug. It was almost invisible-- either a manufacturing defect or was dropped at some point. I should have caught it.
    Replaced the offender, and all is happy and snappy. Nothing like a fresh set of plugs and wires to restore some performance. Thanks for the responses.

Enthusiast
    Good find...enjoy your Viper !!

Enthusiast
    just adding in.. if quality wires werent good then why is calvo only running such wires and not mopars? ive also seen some testing proving quality wires had less resistance than mopar... i bought a set of quality myself..

Enthusiast
    I've used 2 sets of Quality Wires on my super-charged 2000 RT-10 over the past 16 years, and helped a buddy install them on his 2001 GTS. Was very happy with them.
    They performed flawlessly for me, even under higher than normal heat conditions. Currently still doing fine. Based upon my experience, I'd recommend them.

Laney487, that is a good question. Dave6666 you've always been someone who trolls me not sure why but each their own. You have plenty of vendors to go to and even copycats out there. If anyone has an issue that is related to defects on builds I've always taken care of it over the 15+ years of supporting the Viper Community. Here's a little video Antonio Calvo sent me. https://fb.watch/iJarJqhJyL/ He uses wires on every single one of his Vipers. I am not going to claim I have zero issues over the many years but 99.9% of the time it has something to do with installation or pulling them off wrong. Lots of times I take care of the customer even if it's not my fault. Remember spark plug wires are consumables and Vipers tend to wear them out more than a regular car does. They do need to be replaced. I am not into internet arguing and the good news you have many manufacturers to buy from. Thank you to all who have been customers, even the grumpy ones! Have a great day everyone!
    Last edited by Qualitywires.com; 02-15-2023 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laney487 View Post
    just adding in.. if quality wires werent good then why is calvo only running such wires and not mopars? ive also seen some testing proving quality wires had less resistance than mopar... i bought a set of quality myself..
    Thank you for being a loyal customer and if you have any issues just reach out. I am here to support.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RT SERPENT View Post
    I've used 2 sets of Quality Wires on my super-charged 2000 RT-10 over the past 16 years, and helped a buddy install them on his 2001 GTS. Was very happy with them.
    They performed flawlessly for me, even under higher than normal heat conditions. Currently still doing fine. Based upon my experience, I'd recommend them.
    Thank you for being a loyal customer! Means the world to us!

Quote Originally Posted by dave6666 View Post

Sorry you feel that way Dave. Dig up your receipt of your wires and send to me even if it's been a very long time. Life is too short to hold a grudge.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Indy View Post
    Good find...enjoy your Viper !!
    How you been Steve! Long time no see!

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Red 98 View Post
    Hey, a couple of questions: 1) When upgrading to the RC12ECC Gen 3 spec. plug in in stock Gen 2 motor, what gap is preferred? 2) Has anyone gotten a 3000-3500 rpm "light pop" low load misfire after the change? I took the car out and did some monitor reset type driving, and it got way better, but still has a light miss at light throttle. On hard acceleration, there is no discernible fade, hesitation, or miss. Old plugs looked very healthy besides wide gaps due to normal wear. There were none of these behaviors before the change. It was running great, but due for a freshen up. Ideas?
    If you have any issues related to the wires, please reach out to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Qualitywires.com View Post
    If you have any issues related to the wires, please reach out to me.
    I am totally happy with the wires you made up for me, and am sorry that I may have indirectly implicated an issue with your product. They are well made, thoughtfully labeled, and easy to install and remove when necessary. My issue turned out to be a tiny hairline fracture in a plug that I should have given closer inspection before installation. I have seen this before, just not in many years. My car is now percolating like it should. I would recommend Qualitywires to others, as a great product for our Vipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Red 98 View Post
    I am totally happy with the wires you made up for me, and am sorry that I may have indirectly implicated an issue with your product. They are well made, thoughtfully labeled, and easy to install and remove when necessary. My issue turned out to be a tiny hairline fracture in a plug that I should have given closer inspection before installation. I have seen this before, just not in many years. My car is now percolating like it should. I would recommend Qualitywires to others, as a great product for our Vipers.
    No worries, it's part of the process of elimination to find the cause. Glad it worked out for you and I am here if you need anything! Warm weather is coming! Enjoy the ride!